Micro-bomb proposal

Discussion in 'Kiva | Loans That Change Lives' started by horseguy, Nov 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. horseguy

horseguy Gold Member

Status Points:
    A couple of conflicting goals became clear when we were discussing how often and when to do the money bombs.

1) We can't do them too often, because they simply get too expensive.

2) A few people wanted to do them more frequently because they are fun.

Something that I believe might allow us to have a bit of fun each month, without causing stress is what I call a micro-bomb. It would work something like this.

1) Once a month, the team would pick a single loan. This could be on the 15th (no new money required).

2) Anyone who wants to participate would then make a single $25 loan to that loan. It would be considered a major no-no to loan more than $25, because the idea is to get as many Milepointers as possible on a single loan.

I do not see this as something that would increase loan volume for the team. Rather, it is simply something fun we can all do together each month.

Your reactions?

2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd be worried that a single loan would be too small? I guess 40 people could get in on a normal loan but that would fill up very fast.

I do see random people post on the Kiva side that they want me (all mile point members) to fund X loan - personally I have little intrest in those posts. For some reason I prefer to look at the expiring loans a pick the top x loans to find.

3. horseguy

horseguy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point, perhaps we could have a short list of loans? I also personally like to fund the expiring loans.

4. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Horseguy I think that is a cool idea, one I would be in for.

It would make sense if we went for a loan that was close to expiring and was for a big amount. There are enough of us we could perhaps have a list of 3-4 that we try and wipe out. I know these larger loans have been expiring lately because of the amount of money needed to fund them.

5. nime01
    Original Member

nime01 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent idea!

6. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, if you choose a big enough loan, like maybe a group loan approaching $5000, you should be able to get loads of people on it. The trick will be to avoid it being so popular that too many others join in before the Milepointers all lend. There are a number of options, one being to choose a time and have people pile on at the same time so you're done.

A loan of, say, $4500 needs 180 people to fund it. That would be an amazing goal to reach. Imagine the line that says 180 of x members from one team!

7. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting logistical problem. I've thought this idea over before, too.
    One way to get as many members of our team in on one loan, would be to choose a specific time when many people can log in.
    Another idea is to choose a loan that is likely to be unpopular (male, large amount, Middle Eastern country, etc.)
    One or two people would have to be designated to choose the loan once key criteria are determined. Otherwise, there would be chaos in choosing.
    Other variations on this theme could be:
    All MPers loan to Peru (or some other country) today.
    All MPers make an agricultural loan today.
    All MPers loan to a specific field partner today.
    All MPers loan to a soon to expire (but mostly unfunded) loan today.

As far as I know our record is 18 MPers in on one loan - happened on Money Bomb day:
    http://www.kiva.org/lend/339722

8. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    First Mico-Bomb day should be horseguy's birthday - Nov. 19 :)
    Second could be nime01's birthday - Dec. 27 :)

9. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd say, if it's going to be on a birthday, let the birthday boy/girl choose the loan.

10. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Of course, with a team of 466 members, chances are that it is someone's birthday virtually every day and double on some days. :p

11. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, but if a specific birthday such as Horseguy's is chosen as the day for a Microbomb, I'd suggest that Horseguy can choose the loan. The point of this is to have fun while lending, so why not maximize the fun?

As an aside, interesting statistical trivia: in any group of 30 people, the odds are almost 100% (99.+%) that there are two people with the same birthday.

12. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    We can have daily birthday bombs :D!

13. horseguy

horseguy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love the idea of birthday bombs, but I think the micro-bombs should be separate events for several reasons.

1) With a single micro-bomb a month and with a group as large as ours, you could potentially have to wait for 12 years before it was time for "your" birthday bomb.

2) Changing the date of the micro-bomb each month is going to lose a huge number of potential participates.

3) The only way to ensure this is finance stress free for everybody is to do these on, or slightly after, the 15th.

So, what I think we should do is have a monthly micro-bomb on the 15th. Anyone who wants to pick the loan(s), should mention them in this thread on the 14th, and by the time the 15th rolls around, hopefully we will have a consensus.

This OK with everyone?

BTW, I thought it would be neat if we could add little bomb symbol to our signatures, just like bombers paint a little bomb on the side of the plane for each bombing mission flown. We could have one larger symbol indicating participation in a money bomb, and a smaller bomb symbol to indicate participation in a micro-bomb. Something like a bomb with Kiva's flowery 'K' on it, or that and a dollar sign. Any graphics wizards out there want to take a stab at this?

14. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Jeez, your game if you think consensus is possible. We can't even agree on what is the best frequent flyer program or whether or hotel is worth the resort fees.

Truthfully I would be happy for someone to pick and just go along for the ride. All I would ask is we change location/partners every time we do it so we spread the love.

15. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, variety will be good.

16. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder what the largest Kiva group loans have been? I will try to find out.

Doing this will be great fun without breaking the bank for anyone, we seem to all agree.

Horseguy is the idea guy? All we need is graphics, and maybe an easy way to find some very large loans.

Tenmoc, MissBurrill, iolaire and 4 others like this.
  17. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Kiva's search function allows us to search by loan size. Just click sort by loan amount and go to the last page. Right now the last page is dominated by U.S. loans, but I see loans from other countries in the $4-5K range

18. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Easy answer: Each country has a maximum amount permitted for a loan. I think there are different levels for individual and group loans. I'm not sure off hand where that information can be found, but I'll try to find out later. (Off on a trip today). But I can tell you that the maximum is $10,000 for US loans and $5000 is the highest maximum outside the US. So the biggest group loan you will be able to find will be $5000. Still, that requires 200 lenders at $25 a pop.

FWIW, Kivafriends has an annual competition to see how many of its members can get on the same loan. I think they've managed to top 100, but certainly haven't come close to 200. It will be interesting to see if it's doable. But of course, team Milepoint does seem to be capable of doing ten impossible things before breakfast. :D

DAS02135, Tenmoc, MissBurrill and 6 others like this.
  19. nime01
    Original Member

nime01 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, if that's the case, one of our next goals should be to do 12 impossible things before breakfast :p

20. horseguy

horseguy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the way to get a relatively easy consensus each month is to have the discussion as a group once, and pick someone to pick the monthly loan for us.

Anyone interested in being the micro-loan picking Czar?

21. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or skip breakfast and do 15. :p

22. nime01
    Original Member

nime01 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you would make a great micro-loan picker, horseguy :D

23. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I recommend that horseguy picks this month and someone else chooses next month and we rotate each month.

Tenmoc, MissBurrill, milchap and 3 others like this.
  24. nime01
    Original Member

nime01 Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about this: horseguy picks a loan this month, and he also chooses who gets to pick the loan for December? In December, that person chooses who gets to pick for January and so on and so forth...

25. horseguy

horseguy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like Nime01's idea. I'll pick the loan this month, and the person to pick it next month. My preference will go to the first person who says they want to pick it. Very early on the 15th, I'll post in a bunch of places which loan the micro-bomb is targeting.

And also, as a reminder...

"I thought it would be neat if we could add little bomb symbol to our signatures, just like bombers paint a little bomb on the side of the plane for each bombing mission flown. We could have one larger symbol indicating participation in a money bomb, and a smaller bomb symbol to indicate participation in a micro-bomb. Something like a bomb with Kiva's flowery 'K' on it, or that and a dollar sign. Any graphics wizards out there want to take a stab at this"

And graphically talented people want to take a stab at this?