Michelin Guide 2014: Who cares about Michelin stars?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by uggboy, Sep 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || Michelin Guide 2014: Who cares about Michelin stars? ||

For more 2014 UK / Ireland Michelin Stars coverage incl. full list of 1 / 2 / 3 star restaurants:
    http://food.uk.msn.com/restaurants/michelin-red-guide-2014-star-restaurants-results

colt245, sobore and tondoleo like this.
  2. colt245

colt245 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good to see the dinner by Heston receiving its second Michelin star as I plan on booking a table at the restaurant for January, but have to book 3 months in advance to get a table! Michelin Stars just reassure me that the meal should be of such a high standard and that the night would be worth paying, as there are times you can spend a lot on a meal for it to be extremely average. However Michelin restaurants, for me, are only for extremely special occasions, maybe once a year - if that! I couldn't afford to on a regular basis.

uggboy likes this.
  3. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    A belated "thanks" for the list.

I was gladdened to see the retention of some of those stars. About the only thing that I would challenge would be Petrus w/ but one, especially as we have rated it above Restaurant Gordon Ramsay, over several visits to both - but that is my only quibble. I would also have thought that Ramsay's @ Claridge's would have been on the list, with at least one star, but alas, that is moot, as it is no more.

As we are almost exclusively in London/Mayfair, I was a tad surprised that we had dined at 10 on the total list, plus 2 outside of London. We do not usually go "star hunting," but just let things fall, where they may. Still, nice to see some of those stars.

I also spotted a few that had been on my "must-do list," based on others' reviews. Did not know of their Michelin status. Gotta' shorten that list!

Again, a much belated thank you.

uggboy likes this.
  4. Having been to fat duck per se aperge. And seeing the quality they provide I do care who wins and who drops

uggboy likes this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    With us it's more about mood, when, where and what do dine on. It's equally all about fun and budget consideration too, all fair when it's balanced, "stars" or not, as long as we enjoy and others equally enjoy, it's all fair and square. Safe travels, Cheers & Enjoy. :)