Miami-to-Washington flight diverted to Charleston airport after encountering severe turbulence

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by tom911, Aug 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. neuatomic
    Original Member

neuatomic Silver Member

Status Points:
    My worst nightmare. I'm a bit of a 'hinky' flier already. Thank heavens I've never actually experienced severe turbulence. That could put an end to my frequent flier hobby!

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I still remember as a kid taking a flight with ANA into Osaka and having a strong wind tilt the plane so that it felt like we were going to roll over during our landing. Lots of screaming and shouting. Clearly we all survived but there was the longest line for the bathroom as soon the the seat belt sign was turned off.... lol

4. neuatomic
    Original Member

neuatomic Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had a similar experience on approach to Sarasota in the mid '80's. Descended right through a thunderstorm. I was in back row, two FA's in jump seats behind me. Suddenly lots of roll and yaw, groans, a stiffled scream or two, FA kept repeating "Oh God, Oh God". Full power and we were outta there for another try! I think around then the FAA and airlines started to treat t-storms with a bit of a zero tolerance policy - have never had an approach in that kind of circumstance again. Radar has improved a bit since then too. I don't consider it a severe turbulence event as it was on approach and we knew we were descending through weather, plus thankfully the pilots didn't put up with it for long. Ugh.