Miami dining options

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by akhan, Dec 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. akhan

akhan Member

Status Points:
    Hey guy,

Been to Miami a few times, but I wanted to get some advice on some real good places to eat. Saw that Lolitias closed which is disappointing. I'll have a car so location isn't much of an issue.

Thanks.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Michaels Genuine Food in the fashion district.
    Michy's in North Miami.
    Pubbelly, Sardinia and Yardbird in Miami Beach ( chef left a few months ago but I heard its still very good.)

Special mention Hakkasan ( only US branch of the Michellin starred London eatery)
    Prime 112 - great steaks (which is really not my thing when dining out)
    and a sort of personal favorite Italian Osteria del Teatro
    All the last three are also in Miami Beach.

Have heard good things about Daniel Bouluds place on Biscayne but haven't been there yet.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    viguera likes this.
  4. akhan

akhan Member

Status Points:
    Ah thanks guys! I will definitely hit up a few of these over the span of the next few days.
    Do you guys think sixt is the best car rental place in regards to price & car selection?

Sweet Willie likes this.
  5. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    if you want some awesome Mexican food, I have two suggestions

Talaveras in Coral Gables (downtown) is fantastic and not the standard burritos / tacos

the other place that gets voted best Mexican in all Miami and is up in North Miami on Biscayne Blvd called
    Cheen Huaye incredible mole sauces

Talaveras is definitely more classy and has far superior drinks but is still relatively casual

Cheen Huaye is in a strip mall and quite casual but nice

6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I cant speak specifically for that Sixt location since I use National Emerald which seems to always have some discount promos going ( and allows me just pick a car and go) but from what I hear they carry a good inventory of upscale autos.

Had lunch at Talaveras a few months ago and enjoyed it. That area has really blossomed with nice eateries. There is a small Spanish/Tapas place across the street whose name slips me which is also quite good.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thumbs down for Tap Tap from my end... last time I was there a few months ago it wasn't all that great. I'm not a big fan of Haitian but I had high hopes for it because it's the sort of hall in the wall place that usually has the best food, but I wasn't terribly impressed.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  8. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    unless you are married to sixt, why limit yourself? I'm always trying to vie for a convertible, so having a confirmed (but cancelable) reservation in hand, then hitting priceline as much as possible to bid ultra low for my drop top has been my mode of operation.
    bummer to hear, I will admit that last time I was there was years ago. I remember the goat dishes & those with conch being very good (both of those meats if on a menu I'm 99% sure to order one of them)

viguera likes this.
  9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always like visiting these type of places when I go somewhere mostly to get a good feel for what locals eat rather than Friday's or P.F. Chang's -- the food is generally awesome and the prices are reasonable. I don't know maybe they were having an off day or I had high expectations... :)

Sweet Willie likes this.
  10. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    My bride and business associates had lunch there on Monday. She will not eat there again. I cannot be more succinct.

Sweet Willie and viguera like this.
  11. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recommend Villa Habana for Cuban food.

It is located at 3398 Coral Way (S.W. 22nd Street and 34th Avenue).

Sweet Willie's outstanding recommendation for Garcia's should not be missed. Reasonably priced, wonderful family who owns it, great food and view of the trawlers taking stolen bikes and cars to the Carribbean and South America.

I have been eating at both places for more than 20 years.

Sweet Willie and viguera like this.
  12. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    you paint an awesome picture! :)

tondoleo and viguera like this.
  13. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Awesome but a patently misinformed one .:)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  14. akhan

akhan Member

Status Points:
    Ah wow thanks guys for all the great advice.
    I went to lolitias and I really liked but it looks like it closed. I was able to get a good deal thru Sixt. I will go to gracias Friday night and report back.

15. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks Ton!

Mrs Willie & I were able to dine last night @ Garcia's as upon arrival into Miami, we found out our connecting flight to Chicago was canceled & we are now stuck in Miami until Wed. We dined outside in 74 degree temp, enjoyed: stone crab claws, grilled conch, sautéed grouper w/cilantro sauce. ALL delicious!

Today is only supposed to be 62 degrees for a high but that is much higher than Chicago's expected high.

Newscience and tondoleo like this.
  16. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Enjoy your unexpected visit.

Happy to read that Garcia's hit the spot for you and the missus.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  17. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sweet Willie, enjoy your extended stay in a comfortable warm weather environment! ;) You are doing precisely what we would (hopefully) do - making (very sweet) lemons out of lemonade! :cool:

I don't want to go too far off-topic here, but I'm always amused when our Northern brethren grouse about weather-related cancellations. :p It's just a fact of life if you live where snow and cold occur every winter. I recall a couple of years ago while headed to Europe out of IAD just after a colossal snowstorm, and a group of stranded ORD-bound passengers were grousing to the airline folks. :confused:

It's always much better to make the most out of your present location than to complain about not getting to your destination, as you have done! :cool:

Sweet Willie and tondoleo like this.
  18. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    By the way, if near MIA & looking for a good Cuban meal try Caribe Café Restaurant a number of locations in the Miami area, a couple very close to MIA.

tondoleo and Newscience like this.