MIA travelers can now earn airline miles shopping, dining at airport

Discussion in 'MIA/FLL/PBI | South Florida Area Airports' started by sobore, May 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/south...irline-miles-when-shopping-dining-at-airport/

Miami International Airport’s concessions division has partnered with THANKS AGAIN LLC. in a rewards program that gives travelers and employees the change to earn extra airline miles when shopping or dining at the airport.

Travelers can earn one mile for every dollar spent when shopping or dining at participating merchants, the Atlanta-based loyalty program provider said in a release this week.

Airport travelers also have the opportunity to earn up to 25,000 bonus miles every 90 days based on cumulative registered card purchases at more than 170 airports and 25,000 local businesses in North America.

“We are excited by the opportunity to enable the MIA Shops & Restaurants to seamlessly recognize and reward their best customers,” THANKS AGAIN CEO Marc Ellis said in a statement.

Read More: http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/south...irline-miles-when-shopping-dining-at-airport/

rwoman likes this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course, after my experience at MIA last January, it's not an airport I really desire to make a connection at again...
    :)

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  3. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well said.

MIA is an airport I don't rush to connect through.

rwoman likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Other airports are covered by Thanks Again, too. I got a little card at Sbux at IAD a few months ago explaining how it works.

rwoman likes this.
  5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    MIA which is undergo massive renovations has improved considerably within the last year or so.
    But to read whats posted here and elsewhere by pax who might have transited ( probably once in the last five years) through there ... one who uses the airport a lot I have to shake my head at some of the comments.

Particularly amusing are those comments by UK travellers who rarely have to encounter the nightmarish hell of even a domestic transfer at LHR.:rolleyes:

6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to encounter also transfers at UK airports- and even a few times LHR to LGW which is the treat of treats. CDG is another winner.

MIA I last flew through in September/October 2011. If it has been upgraded since then- well, great. I think the rennovations were already finished at this point. The airport is certainly better- however it is still not even good IMHO.

Please provide some points of real improvement (I noticed the new Club America J is now after security for example which is a HUGE improvement)- I don't want to complain but rather learn what I am missing. A healthy place to eat after security in the J pier would be also wonderful to know about- McDonalds and the Pizza guy are super however sometimes I am looking for something a little closer to sushi or a good fresh salad for example.

7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    No there is still a whole lot of changes yet to be completed in the North Terminal which handles OW traffic.
    With some about 45 plus of the 6O?? new gates operational and connected to a tram system.

A huge new Immigration Hall is now ready but is waiting for the new baggage handling system to be functional reports that this will be initiated in July.

Since you flew into J (South Terminal - all other non OW carriers) which I very, very rarely do (MIA is after all basically a OW/AA airport.. AA being my principal carrier) I cannot comment on the food offerings but the number of restaurants etc in the North Terminal has quadrupled with some quite decent offerings like among others, Sushi Maki and La Carretta serving Cuban food and IMHO one of the best aiport eateries in the country.