MIA - "E Gates"

Discussion in 'MIA/FLL/PBI | South Florida Area Airports' started by chef4u, Jun 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    First time flying out of Miami's "E". Not impressed at all. On the other hand, "D" was nice.

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    The E low gates have been in use for a long time now ( the high E gates and the tram connecting it are longer used) . After the completion of the North Terminal (all gates designated "D" ) AA will abandon that terminal and the attendant OW club and they will be demolished or at least refurbished for the use of other carriers.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am mostly a fan of the everlasting MIA refurbishments. They've been going on an entire decade. However, the MIA Mover is a big improvements and the completed portions of terminal D are nice. The interminable long walks are a big plus for me, but are a huge turnoff for anyone who hates exercise and/or has lots of luggage, children or other impedimenta. There are no moving walkways in the secure area, which is quite irritating for many people.

The facilities are steadily improving, though, customs, immigration, baggage claim and security all function extremely well IME. The next question is when the old obsolete facilities such as terminal E finally will be eliminated. IIRC, that was scheduled for 2002. I hope that 2002 comes soon.

4. jpginmiami

jpginmiami Member

Status Points:
    I too like the new improvements in miami. Havnt had a flight out of E in years though

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I had a flight out of E9 a few days ago. I cleared security at E, TSA document checker was sort of shocked "we don't have precheck here" yeah but there was no line (!!) but the again it was Saturday evening... and not that much happens at E.

I went to the "Premium Lounge" which used to be an Admiral's Club but now is a oneworld lounge... AA club members with a flight out of E can use the lounge, I am not a club member. My Amex Platinum won't work there. I got in with my BA Gold card.

The interior is pretty much as it was back before the Admirals Club was closed, the pluses are that there's free self-service alcohol and there's a modest buffet (a couple of hot options, soups, cold cuts, cheeses, fruits & veggies). Catering makes it similar to a Flagship Lounge.

For that reason I like departing E. :)

jbcarioca and MX like this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for that report. I have not departed E since the reformation of the D gates was completed. It's good to know how it is now, especially since it seems I'll transit there soon.