MIA Customs/Connection Time

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by zpaul, Jul 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been reading up on MIA and even though the last few times I've been through there it's been fast (with the new facility that opened) it's been a few months and reports are that staff cut-backs have increased the time to get through passport control to up to three hours.

I have a tight-ish connection in September - arrive from EZE 6:50am, depart to LAX at 8:25am - and given these comments about two-hour-long lines, I'm wondering if I should rethink my schedule. Thoughts?

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Two words: Global Entry.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

3. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately not available to those of us who raised too much hell in our college days...I've tried. Three times. :(

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I sometimes travel with a companion who is not GE eligible. We arrive MIA at ~06:00 and connect at ~08:00. She's never missed, and she is also not a US citizen. I'll wager you'll make it, even though your time is tighter. If you're in C your odds are good. Anyway AA from SCL tends to arrive early, improving your odds. If you're tight just politely jump the queue using your famous charm. That never has been a problem IME, even in Frankfurt, where queues are somewhat more disciplined than they are in Miami.

zpaul likes this.
  5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would definitely try to reschedule there about 6 or more wide-bodies arriving at MIA between 5 and 7am daily.
    Even at best of times 1hr 35 min may be a bit close and especially if you have luggage.

Added to that there have been reports of lots of baggage problems within the last few days.

Best time to transit MIA is around noon - 230pm on weekdays, last two times for me it took less than 30 mins, off the aircraft, though INS/customs back through security and into the AC (no checked bags)

jbcarioca and zpaul like this.
  6. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, JB! I still owe you a few bottles of wine...

Arriving from EZE this time. The only reason I really want to make this connection is that I'm on the 777 to LAX, and I'd like to be on that a/c.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, things just keep getting worse. I'm going to hold of on changes for now, but I'll keep an eye on the luggage situation in MIA.

Thanks!

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're on a tight connection between AA flights, there will generally be an AA rep at the top of the gateway with orange priority passes for connecting passengers to get you to the head of the immigration lines. Your biggest issue will be getting back through security lines if you don't have PreCheck due to your college days indiscretions.

jbcarioca, LETTERBOY and zpaul like this.
  9. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's good to know! And interestingly I do have PreCheck, and I have about a 95% success rate with it so far.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been routed through MIA many times over the past year and never missed a connection, short or long. Check with an AA rep as soon as you de-plane if needed in case time runs short, your flight is delayed, etc.

11. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I arrived last week on Monday at 06:46, went through GE and my bags were waiting for me when I arrived at the belt. I was on AA990 from GIG. During three arrivals during the last month not one has taken more than 30 min from arrival to departures hall AAdmirals Club D-30. Newbluesea is 100% correct about the concentration of B767 and B777 arriving during those hours, but I have not observed any delays whatsoever at MIA. A friend who is head of baggage handling for AA at one of my frequented airports tells me there are rarely issues these days with bags except for interlined ones. At MIA the AA non-interlined bags error rate has plummeted during the last year.

Anyway, both AA299 leaving at 08:30 and AA277 leaving at 11:00 are three class B777's. So, if you're at all nervous just switch to the AA277 and be tranquil, head to the AAdmirals Club, have a shower and relax a while.

LETTERBOY, newbluesea and zpaul like this.
  12. John Woram

John Woram Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know what's going on at EZE these days, but the AA Admirals Club is closed until 2014 (according to AA). Although members can use the nearby LAN club, maybe whatever construction is going on will also have an impact on AA departures. Also, my last AA flight to EZE flight was cancelled due to volcano activity -- wound up flying to SCL instead, then a connecting flight to AEP. Which is a long-winded way of saying, be prepared for delays, both getting out of EZE and transferring at MIA.

13. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    ZP, you’ve probably already made your flight, but I had the 11:45 out of EZE connecting to the 9:35 flt 299/777 to LAX yesterday morning. After Customs I was able to trek to the EP ticket counter and standby for the 8:25 295/777 to LAX, pre-check is nearby, and boarded flt 295 just fine after waiting a few minutes to clear. I flew carry-on only though.
    Note that the new self-check immigration machines speed things up, and all of my flights from EZE to MIA or DFW have been 10% US Citizens and 90% people from other countries. So my lines have been short.

zpaul and jbcarioca like this.