MIA AC: D-30 vs D-15; what are the food and beverages avail?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by npupik, Sep 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. npupik

npupik Active Member

Status Points:
    long time lurker. getting married on saturday and fiancee (will be wife by then) and i have a three hour layover in MIA this Sunday before a flight to CUR for our honeymoon. I'm getting conflicting reports from yelp, AA site, etc. of what is offered in the D-15 and D-30 lounges as far as food and beverages both non-alc and alc. Have access through amex plat.

My question is whether heading to the lounge makes sense or whether we should just head to a bar/restaurant in the airport for a bite to eat/glass of wine. hopefully not posting this in the wrong thread; new to this so hoping to not incite the ire of the herd. tried a few searches on here and couldn't find any recent reviews of AC at MIA. any advice/feedback is appreciated!

zpaul, flyforawg, jbcarioca and 2 others like this.
  2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the lounges don't list their menus and amenities online, a quick call to their front desk may help. Also, have you checked out the dining options in Terminal D? You might find something you like (link here). I'll be back in MIA on October 4th, but sadly it's after your visit. I hope you are able to work out something favorable, and congratulations on your recent nuptials.

EDIT: Reviews say the D30 is the better lounge. Many people posted on reviews that the D15 is much smaller and feels cramped.

3. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are many good food opportunites at MIA.

If you want Miami local try Cafe Versailles. If you want more American cuisine that is tasty and prepared well try the Icebox Cafe next to Gate D-8.

zpaul, jbcarioca and canucklehead like this.
  4. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    or Nathan's Hot dog! :D

Was just at D-30 - free stuff was chocolate chip cookies, sweet tea and assorted coffee-type drinks (I recommend the Mexican hot chocolate!)

Upon entry you should get 2 complimentary drink tickets. Each AC will have variations and seasonal menus - you can see a sampling from each club here - https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/airportAmenities/AdmiralsDining.jsp

zpaul, wrxmom, flyforawg and 2 others like this.
  5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not on Amex Plat. That's a benefit for members and those on international travel. Amex Plat gets you in the door and that's it.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

6. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct. They do not even give me a "locals" exception since I am not an official AC member like the international playboy Canucklehead.

7. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I found the MIA lounge I was in to be overcrowded on my one visit there. Assuming it was D15, but can't exactly remember. I'd suggest you consider taking your bride to a nice restaurant. You could always pop in and see what the lounge looks like, but think you'll probably be disappointed food wise.

8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    One option that is quiet and pleasant for waiting is the restaurant at the top of Hotel MIA just near the entrance to concourse F. The food is not spectacular, but nothing at MIA is anyway, and it is comfortable.

The AA lounges are as described in this and other threads with D-30 more spacious and relaxed but the 'food' is packaged in plastic. I refuse to try it.

Tondoleo is a denizen of the area so can sometimes be trusted :confused: but... Cafe Versailles is not very good unless you really are addicted to mass production Cuban, in which case it is perfect. Tondoleo has lived there so long he does not know any better.:oops:

if you have three complete hours an option would be to leave the airport and go to Coral Gables, 15 minutes away, for a quick but very good meal and drinks. Tondoleo likes Cafe Bugatti, a very nice Italian place that can be quick when needed. Hillstone's is a seriously happening place despite the chain, and will provide 100% Miami-vibe, but is often packed unless you're there on off hours. Just across the street is Sushi Samba another very au courant place that opened a couple of months ago. It is more expensive but is also full of beautiful people.

If you prearrange a taxi back you can get to one of these places in 15 minutes, spend a leisurely 1 1/2 hours and be back at MIA in a total of two hours or so.

9. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I must have been lucky the couple of times I got in!

zpaul and tondoleo like this.
  10. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps they equated Canadian = international? I've never received drink chits in any club on my Amex plat in 200+ visits in the US.

zpaul likes this.
  11. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Slightly OT - does MIA have any premium facilities for Int'l F pax? I didn't see MIA as a Flagship Lounge location.

12. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been in the AC at D15 twice the last two months, including this past Tuesday in the morning. In the a.m. they did have small pastries available as well as yogurt covered pretzels. I went inside on this visit. On the prior visit, in the afternoon, I stayed in the outside seating area and they had a basket of cold drinks on top of the bar that you could grab (Diet Coke for me). Wi-fi worked fine outside though not as much seating as inside. I did pop inside to use the bathroom before departure and it was packed, so actually preferred having the outside seating available.

MIA used to have a Flagship Lounge on the E pier but it closed in 2010. Don't know if they intend to replace that down the line.

zpaul likes this.
  13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:

Correct, MIA currently does not feature a Flagship Lounge. There's the shared lounge over in the E gates that offers slightly better quality food offerings but it's hardly FL standard.

zpaul likes this.
  14. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    D30 definitely the better of the two ACs with more food offerings and space to find some privacy. Also, showers are better ventilated...D15 can be a steam bath! Had some passable sushi last time in D30. Since few AA flights leave from the E wing, the joint BA/IB/OW lounge isn't the normal spot to check into when flying AA, but it's a true international lounge that comes close to the Flagship lounges with a reasonable selection of sandwiches, soup and salads along with an open bar set up and bagged snacks (chips, etc.).

zpaul and flyforawg like this.
  15. npupik

npupik Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you all for the feedback! Going to check out D-30 but then probably find a place to grab a bite and glass of wine. As always, mp is a friendly place to ask questions. Thanks for the help!

zpaul and flyforawg like this.
  16. ord_a380

ord_a380 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Honestly I would either eat in the terminal or grab togo than order something from the admirals clubs in mia.

zpaul likes this.
  17. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Too late for OP but D30 has pastries and croissants for breakfast hours.

zpaul likes this.
  18. npupik

npupik Active Member

Status Points:
    OP responding back here. Thanks to everyone for the advice! I did end up stopping at the D30 club for both my outbound and inbound layovers. simple well drinks, bud, coors lite, odoul's bottles as well as a merlot (i think) and chardonnay were complimentary. food options, were as reported; sparse. I did have some of the snack mix and a few yogurt covered pretzels but apart from that didn't have any of the food available for purchase. My wife and I had a few beers and watched some football then boarded our flights. Thanks again for the advice MPers; greatly appreciated.

tondoleo, zpaul and flyforawg like this.