Mexico - Guide to the MEX airport

Discussion in 'Other North America/non U.S.' started by Tinkerer, Feb 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK – I got here. Now how do I get to where I’m going?
    The airport taxis are known as the safest in the city. Some hotels also offer car service, though IME it really is not necessary. The “sitios” (groups of registered taxis pronounced like the initials CTO in English) for airport taxis are Porto Taxi, Nueva Imagen , Sitio 300 and Yellow Cab.

They all have stands in the arrivals hall so you can pre-pay your fare based on the distance to the Zone your destination is located in. If you’re traveling with several friends (or luggage), it’s well worth springing for an SUV. After you pay, the taxi company representative will give you a ticket; upon exit head to the row of cabs from the company you selected and take the next one in line.

You can also use airport taxis to get back to the airport (metered service on the way back) so get the number from your driver upon arrival (they often have coupons on their business cards). Call ahead for a reservation and to ensure on-time pick-up (the city is quite big!).

[O/T but important: while in Mexico, take only “sitio” taxis – either airport “sitios” or others around the city (any hotel, business, restaurant, establishment can call one for you). NEVER, and I repeat, NEVER hail a cab off the street. While you might hail a legitimate “sitio taxi” on its way back to it’s HQ, you very may well hail an unregistered taxi … this is where the horror stories happen. And, locals can’t identify a “sitio” taxi by sight alone so don’t you try ;)]

Oh, no! My connecting flight departs in the other terminal. How do I get there?
    * There’s two options for transportation between terminals: train and bus.
    - Train: you can catch the train by going up the escalator near Gate “D” in T1 and in Gate “M” near domestic arrivals in T2. The train takes 5 minutes to go between terminals and runs between 5am and 11pm.
    - Bus: you can catch the bus by Door 6 of T1 and by Door 4 of T2 (exit and turn right from any door and go to the end). They encourage folks with more than carry-ons to use the bus.
    The terminals are not connected and walking between them is not a good idea. If these two options fail, take a taxi

But...my flight doesn't depart until tomorrow.
    Don't despair. Each terminal has a hotel you can stay in. T2 is

Wait!…how do I know what terminal my flight operates from
    Which terminal will I arrive in
    Aeromar...(T2)
    Aeromexico...(T2)
    Aeromexico Connect...(T2)
    Air Canada ...(T1)
    Air France ...(T1)
    Aladia ...(T1)
    American Airlines...(T1)
    Avianca...(T1)
    British Airways ...(T1)
    Click Mexicana ...(T1)
    Continental Airlines...(T2)
    Copa Airlines...(T2)
    Cubana ...(T1)
    Delta Airlines...(T2)
    Global Air ...(T1)
    Iberia ...(T1)
    KLM ...(T1)
    Lan...(T2)
    Luftansa ...(T1)
    Magnicharter ...(T1)
    Mexicana ...(T1)
    Nova Air ...(T1)
    Ocean Air ...(T1)
    Taca (Aviateca LACSA)...(T1)
    United Airlines...(T1)
    US Airways...(T1)
    Vivaaerobus ...(T1)
    Volaris...(T1)

I have more questions – is there someone I can call?
    T1 phone number: +(52-55)2482-2424 or +(52-55)2482-2400
    T2 phone number: +(52-55)2598-7000
    Note – 52 is country code; 55 is Mexico City code; phone numbers are 8 digits long.

KIXman likes this.
  2. inukshuk
    Original Member

inukshuk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. T2 makes traveling to MEX so much nicer. T1 was getting so big that I sometimes feeling I'm training for a marathon.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to add again for emphasis: BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL about taxis around Mexico City. Only take a taxi from a good hotel, etc. and do not get into the small ones you see on the streets, especially IIRC the green VW beetles. Even if there are several of you , even if you speak Spanish, even if you basically know your way around the city, even if you're a big tough guy, etc., do not do it. The horror stories, including physical violence, are common and true.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The OP should be updated so that airport terminal information reflects the DL/NW merger. I'm not sure which space the merged airline decided to use going forward at MEX, but at some airports, DL moved into old NW space.

5. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    The airport taxi advice was very helpful for me. The rate I got from airport to St Regis Hotel (zone 4, near Zona Rosa) was 152 pesos. The only hitch was the driver was not familiar with the place, but we managed to get there using some landmarks (I mentioned it was a few blocks from the Sheraton).

6. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree - unfortunately I haven't flown DL into MEX lately and the info in the OP reflects the latest info on the airport website. If someone has flown into MEX recently and has better info please let me know and I'll update it.

7. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great to hear! Glad you managed to make it - most airport taxis also have radios so they can always radio for help too.

8. DL (combined) remains in T2.

Tinkerer likes this.
  9. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the confirmation.

10. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    For T1, the on-site hotel is the Hilton. Access is via escalator up from the departures level. The rooms are a little dated but they are in good shape and adequate for a good night's sleep. The restaurant breakfast is quite good. Book ahead for best prices.

11. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there still no divider between international and domestic flights?
    I once flew in from overseas on a redeye, and being in a confused state, went straight to the gate for my connecting domestic flight without passing through immigration.
    Needless to say there was h*ll to pay when I arrived at my final destination!!!

12. There are glass dividers now - they've modified T1 so that passengers arriving internationally and passengers departing no longer mix. When you arrive from abroad, you're now funneled straight to immigration.

13. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are connecting within T1, you do not need to go through customs, however, until your final destination if your bags are tagged to your final destination. Just after immigration turn left and then look for signs to go up some stairs (just past health facility). They will check for your immigration stamp and x-ray your carry ons and you'll be on your way. At your final destination you'll have to pick up any checked bags in the "international" section and go through customs.