Mexican bug meets female abuser, last free ride.,

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by satman40, Feb 15, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOS ANGELES – A scorpion stung a woman on the hand just before her flight from Los Angeles to Portland took off.

Flight 567 was taxiing on the runway Saturday night when the passenger was stung, Alaska Airlines spokesman Cole Cosgrove said. The plane returned to the gate, and the woman was checked by medics. She refused additional medical treatment, but she didn't get back on the plane.

They use to spay for bug before landing in MBJ, now I know why...

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
    Mapsmith likes this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mexican bug??
    Female abuser??
    MBJ ???

Mapsmith and satman40 like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Spayed (not sprayed) bugs?

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just to save the OP, in case it's edited.

My first reading made me think that the victim was the female stowaway who was in the news recently.

Was the scorpion killed or captured?

Mapsmith and satman40 like this.
  5. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    FA Killed the scorpion, it was not a paying customer, and he tried to abuse a female on board...

Notice she left the female passenger left the plane, wonder if she got compensated...

1. Montego Bay Jamaica - Sangster International Airport (MBJ)
      www.mbjairport.com/

Sangster International Airport (MBJ) is the leading tourism gateway to the island of Jamaica – one of the world's most beautiful and desired destinations. MBJ

Mapsmith likes this.
  6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am well aware MBJ is.... just wasn't sure about the connection to story.
    If you are making a tenuous connection to the spray released on board on all Jamaican arriving/departing flights that's a requirement of the local health authorities and has been going for what?
    Forty years???:)

Mapsmith likes this.
  7. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Apparently not as efficacious as it might be, if it was aimed at scorpions.

If I recall correctly, departures from EBB are sprayed for mosquitoes because of malaria. In fact I seem to recall that being done regularly at sub-Saharan African airports

8. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now you really have completely lost me .. The flight in question was on Alaska Airlines.. they do not fly to Jamaica, scorpion or not :) .

satman40 and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    How do we know that there was only one scorpion on board?

satman40 likes this.
  10. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    eating-scorpion.jpg

satman40 likes this.
  11. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We know one thing the lady got off for a reason, I suspect that was her thought Also...

Fear of more. Scorpion's...

Gargoyle likes this.
  12. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Little history, we made many trips to MBJ,

Airtran , Voyger Flying Club, ValueJet, and WN, long history
    Geo was quite a guy..,

In 1973, Mikelsons started his own travel club, Ambassadair, taking a loan and mortgaging his home to purchase a Boeing 720, which he titled "Miss Indy". Ambassadair was a charter-based airline which provided cheap vacation fares. Mikelsons and an employee piloted the plane, loaded the luggage, cleaned the cabin, and served as the tour guide. His hard work and determination allowed him to purchase additional planes for his charter-based airline service. In 1984, after the deregulation of the Airline industry, Mikelsons formed Amtran, Inc., the former parent company of American Trans Air, which later became ATA Airlines, headquartered near Indianapolis International Airport.[1] He also formed ATA Leisure Corp., Amber Travel, ATA Training Corp., ATA Cargo, and ExecuJet.

In 1993, ATA made its initial public offering, trading on the NASDAQ National Market System under the symbol "AMTR". Mikelsons, a noted conservative always notorious for putting his money where his mouth is, purchased a 75% stake in the company. In 1998, Mikelsons retired, giving the reigns of the company to John Tague. Tague began a massive expansion with new aircraft and the establishment of a hub at Chicago's Midway airport. After the September 11 terrorist attacks in 2001, the slump in airline travel and rising fuel costs severely impacted ATA.[2]

Mikelsons came out of retirement to save his troubled airline. ATA emerged from bankruptcy on February 28, 2006 [3] after Mikelson had secured a major code-share agreement with Southwest Airlines. Upon emergence from bankruptcy, Mikelson retired from ATA and its airline holdings, turning the reins of the company to a MatlinPatterson lead board of directors and former Southwest executive John G. Denison. ATA Airlines filed for bankruptcy protection again on April 2, 2008, and announced the discontinuation of all operations "following the