Merry Xmas/Chanukkah/Kwanzaa! PHL-FCO! And there's something you should know...

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by redtailshark, Dec 17, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello MP readers, did you know DL has almost achieved their goal with their FFP. SM is, by far:

[​IMG]mejor en su clase[​IMG]

But they are not finished yet, no, not quite... not with dynamic award pricing, C+ class differentiation, FCM, upgrade instrument and ST award inventory blocking limitations, and other dirty tactics all ramping up. Soon, 635k from PHL to FCO, not all of which is in J, will be a bargain... you'll be lucky if you can find C+ for that price....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...rld-record-even-dl-sm-best-class-alright.html

What the Jeffmob will realize, actually it's already happening, is that their cartel-building actions and efforts on all front to limit consumer choice will have only one outcome. Consumers are becoming rightly angrier at the rapid ratcheting of fares across all markets, reductions in service, and general collusion to limit capacity. DL leads the way in this war on consumer choice and they will reap the rewards.

Sooo, support the petition, write the congress-critters and don't allow the DL propaganda machine to asset their customer-hostile, competition-averse trumpetings represent reality.

We need OPEN SKIES as the remedy for the US cartel! The fact that this works for consumers is demonstrated by the US carriers' actions on the US-DXB routes where they face actual unfettered competition and by DL's squawking as the ME3 ramp up at ATL and so on. They have only themselves to blame.

They have two or three more years of gouging consumers before there's going to be a radical reshaping of the US commercial aviation market.

2. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    The carriers who have demonstrably benefited the most from Open Skies have been LCCs like FR, U2 and AK. This is similar to how WN has done very, very well since deregulation (and B6, AS and VX, to a lesser or similar extent).

I don't think Open Skies is likely to turn the USA into a land of easy award redemptions with hot and cold running caviar and champagne on SFO-LAX or JFK-MIA. It might make for lower fares, but I wouldn't exactly call AK's frequent flyer program amazing, and the ME3 don't hand out 100% RDM on low fares, either; they, much like Middle Eastern countries, are all about trying to separate rich people from their cash in luxurious surroundings. I might point out that EK has 10-across Y on 777s long before AA, DL and UA decided to go there, and they fly an A380 with 615 passengers. Hardly the lap of luxury as a Y experience if you ask me.

So to sum up: be careful what you ask for. You might indeed get it and regret it.

redtailshark likes this.
  3. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Operationally, you are correct and I agree with the analysis. FR and similar operators (e.g. DY) will be the major beneficiaries of OpenSkies.

But you are not correct if you are inferring that I imagine more competition and Open Skies = better FFP benefits.

As you know, I'm an experienced and very adaptable flyer... in fact, do you know I have been called "an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines.." by the reneging gnomes. Muahahaha!

So, no, I don't foresee a land of milk and honey (i.e. F redemptions from JFK to LAX dripping with hot and cold running caviar and champagne etc. Even EK won't give me that...)

With deregulation, carriers with lowest CASM will win. I know what this means. I use FR in the EU and in fact, I welcome and use their Biz product. I am not expecting anything different. I WANT more competition, more choice, and lower cost itins. I accept this likely means no FFP benefit, which is actually just like DL SM already "offers..."

So I'll just pay for what I want, a la carte, as many of us are doing now. We will become expert kayakers. I want that choice of price and service which is being strangled by the mal-adapted current market and the unquestioned cartel activities of the US3.

Here's the outcomes matrix containing four criteria. They show 2 of 4 wins for Open Skies and 2 with no change. What's not to like??!

Current situation: Bad service, limited choice, high cost AND no FFP benefit.
    Open Skies: bad service, more choice, lower cost and no FFP benefit.

eponymous_coward likes this.
  4. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm down with that. I have seen people thinking that somehow the expansion of the ME3 and OpenSkies will mean lavish love "down the back" for people on cheap fares. On the contrary. It will very much be a "get what you pay for" kind of environment.