Merger Upgrade Confusion

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by KenInEscazu, Jan 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is clear that we are now earning our 2013 MileagePlus status with all new activity beginning January 1, 2012. With the extension of existing benefits, that's where the clarity ends for me.

I am Platinum on CO. The 2011 OP program included confirmed upgrades beginning 5 days prior to departure. The 2012 MP program changes Platinum upgrade confirmations to beginning 3 days prior to departure. Is "everything" from OP being extended until the systems are merged, or only certain things?

I have 2 flights that are currently within the 3 day window (I think they refer to it as "72 hours"), both have F seats open, but neither has been upgraded. PreMCO was pretty consistent about granting those upgrades when the window opened. PostMCO has started to hold onto them much longer, often until airport check-in. Because of this change in behavior, I can't tell which set of benefits is in place.

Maybe it doesn't matter, but I would like to know if the window opens at 120 hours or 72 hours. Does ANYone know?

2. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 2011 rules still apply and the upgrade window starts at 120 hours for CO Platinums until they combine both frequent flyer programs into MileagePlus.

FWIW, last year over 80% of my CO flights did not clear until about 24 hours out even when F has 16 seats open. Unless I am on a YBM fare, I have long given up on hoping for upgrades 5 days out on CO metal.

3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Likewise, I've seen a clearance rate inside the 3 Day windows most recently with the exception of the South Florida Markets (3-5 days out)...I suspect with the new Upgrade Algorithms Upgrades will be processed on their windows most likely...

4. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Update: I had to call CO about a different issue which resulted in three different reservations showing on one day from MCO to DFW. Since they all showed me confirmed and all had F available, I asked the agent why none of them had been upgraded within 48 hours of all departures. She said that United was really tight with upgrades, and that I need to try to get up to 1K this year to see any significant change from my 2011 mostly Gold upgrade frequency.

I selected the pair with the schedule I preferred so that she could cancel the other two and free them up. I'm leaving in 11 hours, and I'm currently 1st on the CPU wait list on one, 2nd on the other. Both have 2 unsold F seats as of this writing.

I also asked her whether the 2011 or 2012 program window was currently the rule. She looked up the 2012 rules and literally read them to me, saying, "It looks like it's 72 hours." That wasn't exactly the clarity I was seeking when I posed the question, but it didn't surprise me. I was surprised, however, when I got upgraded for a different flight at exactly the 120 hour mark.