Merger Update: MileagePlus Account Number Update

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by UA Insider, Nov 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. UA Insider
    Original Member

UA Insider Official Representative

Status Points:
    Hi Everyone, as many of you have gathered, some of the changes we’ve announced regarding our 2012 MileagePlus program are tied to our migration to a single technology platform - scheduled for late first quarter of next year.

We’re creating a system for Mileage Plus that supports our expanded membership base and new program features. A frequent question that we receive is: “which account number will be used?” The answer is that the new system will use an eight-character alphanumeric account number, similar to what OnePass uses today. Specifically, here’s what this means:
    • If you currently have only a OnePass account, this account number will become your permanent MileagePlus account number after the system conversion. You do not need to do anything.
    • If you currently have only a Mileage Plus account, you automatically will receive a new eight-character alphanumeric account number in late first quarter 2012. You do not need to do anything now.
    • If you have an account in both programs, you should link your accounts today (if you’ve not already done so). This will ensure that, after the system conversion, your OnePass account number will become your permanent MileagePlus number.
    Linking your MileagePlus and OnePass accounts now provides other benefits as well. If one account has a higher status level, then we will match your status in the other account. Additionally, we’ll combine your elite qualifying activity in both accounts. If the combined total places you at a higher elite level, we’ll upgrade your status in both accounts.

Until our system transition is complete, nothing will change about the way you access your account details or use your current account numbers. In mid-January, we will share specifics about how the transition to new account numbers will work, as well as details on your 2012 Premier status. Additionally, the most up to date information is also available on our website.

Shannon Kelly
    Director, Customer Insights
    United Airlines

jupper, Billiken, IDGflygirl and 8 others like this.
  2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for keeping us updated and in the loop Shannon! Now I can go to bed at nights and not worry about memorizing my UA FFN ;).

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  3. COFlyerCLE
    Original Member

COFlyerCLE Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, Shannon - it is always great to hear directly from you on the changes and progress.

4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    UGH, of course I know by heart my UA number, CO I still have to look up.:confused: C'est la Vie.:)

5. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the update and while "it's only a number" ;), I'm gonna have to start learning my OP number ;) but being "the goalie-family 1k", I'm also gonna have to do it x3 for goalie-mom, goalie-dad and goalie-sis :eek:

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not one of those who cares what number survives, but I do wonder about this wording... How is this just similar to what OnePass number uses today when those who have a OnePass number will continue to use it? Looks to me it's exactly what OnePass uses.

7. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the information Shannon!

I do have one question. When I hit a combined 75k it took nearly two months to have the status update on my OnePass account. I will hit 1K at the end of this month, will it take just as long for the status to update and the SWUs to make it into my account?

8. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    It may not be exactly like what we have now (AA123456). It could be A23B45CD. Or AABB1234

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  9. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    Surprisingly, the longer UA number was easier for me to memorize --- it's all muscle memory from typing it into the numeric keypad. Remembering an alphanumeric number will actually be significantly harder for me.

10. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    :rolleyes:

One set of fliers was going to have to learn a new number. I'm sure you'll cope.

11. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can enter my MP number very quickly on a regular number keypad, but it takes me longer at the kiosks since they switched to the numbers in a row at the top. I still have to get my hand trained to more quickly enter my OP number. I think I'm slower because I have to go from alpha to numeric. My DL number is also really easy for me.

It's not exactly a huge burden to have to learn a new number. I learned mine in March. I think the resistance is more due to a sense of loss. I've had my MP number for 13 years. Many others have had theirs almost since the inception of the program more than 30 years ago. It's the end of an era and a lot of folks are really attached to their numbers. /not a shrink

12. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    But the poster I quoted did not convey a loss, he/she conveyed a sense of inconvenience.

The loss thing is understandable but at the same time, had the new airline gone with the UA number, CO people would have been in the same boat.

yaychemistry likes this.
  13. FrequentlyFlying
    Original Member

FrequentlyFlying Silver Member

Status Points:
    R.I.P. my MP# I've memorized & loved since 1988: 001## ### ###

That said, it'll certainly be easier to key in my OP number!

14. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sure, it's a slight inconvenience (and I meant to state the observation that memorizing numbers is easier than alphanumerics and not to complain - but its difficult to differentiate in text).

If the new United were to create a new program from scratch then allowing both CO and UA style membership numbers would have added at most a few lines of computer code (assuming they had decent programmers). Both groups would be able to keep their number. Though, rewriting a system from scratch just to include a trivial feature probably isn't a wise business decision.

That's why there's a decision to be made between numbers (and OP for whatever reason won). Not trying to judge - because in the end creating new software just to allow MP members to keep their old numbers probably isn't a wise investment - just offering the observation.

I suppose the gut reaction is just that MP "lost" vs OP, as far as the membership numbers. To me it's not a feeling of loss... but rather than I ended up on the "losing" team (in whatever esoteric/symbolic sense that may be). All in all the membership numbers are relatively insignificant, so aside from the small inconvenience it doesn't matter.

15. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    And here I was just starting to remember my new MP #. I’ll put those brain cells to another use now. :)

Thanks for the update, Shannon.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    On what are you basing that assertion?

You're not a programmer, are you? It isn't just a few lines of code to do what you're talking about.

That folks continue to see things like this as someone "winning" and someone else "losing" is simply ridiculous.

IDGflygirl and Flyer1976 like this.
  17. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would -really- be nice if the program let me establish my own ID for logon purposes and then tied it to the MP number for their use and printing on documents, etc. And always givingthe option of using the MP # if you wanted to. With all my accounts at various companies it would be impossible to remember each one's account number. Most fo them let me establish my own logon id. Hope MP will do the same. :)

yaychemistry and hulagrrl210 like this.
  18. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    God, all this over a different FF#. I wonder what would happen if someone broke a nail over this!

19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You mean like how the underlying technology that will power the new site will handle currently operates today?? ;)

[​IMG]

Note where you can log in using a username as configured in the My Account Settings section of the site.

20. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    For those of us who have older Mileage Plus Numbers that start with 3 zeros, why can't we just drop the zeros if the new program uses an 8 digit number? I think that would be a really good way to recognize people who have been with the airline/Mileage Plus Program for a long time by letting them keep an entirely numeric account number. Plus, I really don't like my Onepass #

adambadam, Pat89339 and Seacarl like this.
  21. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    It'll be at least a little sad to me to lose my MP# Number. I enrolled in 1981, the first year, back when numbers were only 6 digits long. When they converted to 11 digits, I got three leading zeros so it's really only an 8 digit number, and I know it in my sleep. So there is some sadness in converting to my OP number and yet another reminder that CO is taking over.

The one thing I hope is that they will restore a drinkable coffee. I made the mistake of trying to coffee again yesterday. It currently is truly undrinkable. They'd do better to make themselves a coffee-free airline than continue to go through the motions with this dreck.

22. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1 I really like this suggestion. If they can handle 2 alpha plus 6 numbers, if they can expand the namespace to include digits in the two alpha fields, this would work for anyone who has 3 leading zeros in their MP# and guarantee no conflicts with existing OP numbers. But I doubt it is a priority

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  23. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    The coffee tastes just fine with a mini of Bailey's or Kahlua ;)

From NYC, Flyer1976 and hulagrrl210 like this.
  24. Nelumbo
    Original Member

Nelumbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to miss the only (and the longest) frequent flyer number that I memorized.

25. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it's a good idea, but no, it's not a priority.