Merger Monday predictions

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by MSYgirl, Dec 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Less than a week to go people! I thought it might be fun to count down the days and make predictions on what might change post-merger.

My prediction:
    The merger will pass, and AA will offer up double EQMs before December 31st. I know this because I'll get my next level with my last flight of the month, so double EQMs would be useless for me now. It would be just my luck, which is usually pretty bad.

What does your crystal ball tell you?

zpaul, ballardFlyer and Newscience like this.
  2. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think if they *were* going to offer 2x EQM that train has sailed. Last year they did for nearly two months IIRC... no one is going to complain about 3 weeks of course but I only have 4 flights between 12/9 and the end of the year... (of course I have one on 12/8 as well!!) and I think most mile- or even travel-savvy folks would have already booked their travel between now and the end of the year as well, so will it bring AA any additional business? I wouldn't think so.

What do I think will happen Monday? Very little. I suspect most of the major announcements will come after January 1st.

ballardFlyer and Newscience like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is nothing left to "pass" at this point. It is just a matter of signing all the documents. And there won't be any promos coming out for a few months. They've got lots of other stuff to deal with in the interim.

davef139, ballardFlyer and Newscience like this.
  4. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The double EQM promo mention was sarcasm. :mad:

zpaul, ballardFlyer and Newscience like this.
  5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that both timfrost and Wandering Aramean have got the "pulse of the deal" between AA and US down pretty well. It's just too close to the end of the year (and the merger) for anything new to be rolled out for the consumer. There have been "buy/share miles" promotions by both AA and US. AA's "buy miles" offers it's customers get an additional 18,000 miles on a 60,000 mile purchase (an O.K. offer that works out to ~2.3 cents per mile). For the second time this year, but now for only 5 days (offer ends Friday), US is providing a "double shared miles" up to 50,000 shared miles.(~1.1 cents per bonus mile). O.K., it's not EQM or PQM, and won't get you elite status, but those miles (especially the US offer) will get you "up in the air"! ;)

BTW, that nifty "AA holiday email" from "the new American" just arrived! :rolleyes:

zpaul, ballardFlyer and timfrost like this.
  6. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The seating selection screen changed, and it's not pretty but rather annoying and large. It looks like this just changed today since it was normal yesterday.

Also, I had to call a few weeks ago to get credit for a missing flight. I gave them my ticket number and received credit. Today they reversed the credit. How can they not give me credit for a flight I flew? ARGH. I called the UK number, but they said I had to wait for the US office to wake up in 3 hours. Hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come. :(

Attached Files:

zpaul and ballardFlyer like this.
  7. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    At least the seating selection buttons are a little larger. I lost my glasses a few months back and ran out of contacts last week so a little extra size in these things is a big help. Thank goodness I finally get to go home for a week on Sunday and I can stock up on contacts. Have to wait for next year for specs though.

When I called for credit for a missing flight it had erroneously posted into my "November" summary with all my October flights even though it was in November. Have you checked other relevant months?

To get back on topic to the thread, I do think there are some pretty good possibilities for promos next year... whether they'll run any is anyone's guess.

8. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was able to talk to someone about the missing flight. The flight was trying to automatically post, but the manual credit was already done. So someone posted a deduction (zeroing out the flight) before the auto post showed up. They are going to manually push it through once again.

The big boxes are good for the scenario you mentioned. I just wonder if they have a design testing team, some guinea pigs to check out the changes and give feedback. It seems with some things there is a lot of notice and with others there is none. A seating chart isn't going to change my life, though, and I was just curious. :p

9. bhamsan01

bhamsan01 Active Member

Status Points:
    I spoke with a CS Agent yesterday while sorting out all sorts of issues with my upgrade stickers, RDM, and elite status, and got word that you will be able to credit US flights to AA and vice versa starting Monday. My guess is that this would work for any existing reservations on either airline. Not groundbreaking, but it expands the possibilities of MRs for the next few weeks.

zpaul, iolaire, Newscience and 2 others like this.
  10. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good news. I have some EQMs sitting over at US, but I doubt they will move over before the end of the year. At least this provides us with some flexibility if it happens.

11. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find this simply amazing, since, on Monday, US is in the Star Alliance and AA is in One World. And my upcoming LH flights will likely eventually end up credited to my AA account! ;)

Flyer1976 and MSYgirl like this.
  12. bhamsan01

bhamsan01 Active Member

Status Points:
    This would work for CY2014, as the FF integration is going to take some time and won't be completed in the next month. So, if your LH flights are booked for Q1 2014, you could in theory earn EQMs on AA flying LH as long as you can credit to US. Now that I think about it, one could consider a MR of *A flights for Q1 2014 to earn AA EQMs, if the price is right. Makes me wish I got in on the $130RT JFK-MXP on UA Wideroe mistake fares!

Newscience likes this.
  13. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's time to fly! ;)

bhamsan01 likes this.
  14. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Happy Merger Monday!