Men have luggage 'hijacked' by their partners

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Apr 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/t...-have-luggage-hijacked-by-their-partners.html
    More than half of male travellers are forced to sacrifice space in their own suitcases to make room for their wives and girlfriends, new research has shown.

In a survey carried out by London Stansted Airport, 52 per cent of men claimed that, when travelling as a couple, some of their partner’s belongings ended up in their own luggage, with an average of five kilograms being surrendered to accommodate their better halves.

The poll also suggested that 37 per cent of women have had to reshuffle the contents of their suitcases at the airport check-in desk, while nearly half of female travellers admitted that they take “too much” on holiday.

Although a quarter of travellers said they spend at least three hours packing their suitcases, 13 per cent claimed they had left the house without their passport or a boarding pass.

Read More: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/t...-have-luggage-hijacked-by-their-partners.html

2. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    i get my first attempt at traveling carry-on-only with the gf next month for a few days. pray for me

3. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really? 'Cause I can't never get her in the suitcase. She always wants a seat!

4. hpc

hpc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Haha - exactly! :)

DLroads, uggboy and TheBeerHunter like this.
  5. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, I didn't realize this was so prevalent. My husband only has to sacrifice space in his baggie for liquids -- for all the hotel toiletries I bring home for each stay.

6. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    :eek: My wife on our last trip, not one bag is mine:( :

[​IMG]

7. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    wonder if there is a study about traveling with teens, who don't understand, that if it was in their suitcase going on the cruise, it should still be able to fit back into the same suitcase. :p sadly, i have found that any excess ends up in my suitcase b/c suddenly their items have somehow grown in size so that it no longer fits in theirs. :rolleyes:

though i shouldn't complain. overall they are quite capable packers/travelers which means the last 10 yrs of traveling has taught them something. it does makes a parent proud. :D

8. SpecialK
    Original Member

SpecialK Gold Member

Status Points:
    :rolleyes:

The mister and I share luggage space. I take the smaller carry-on, he takes the larger. We optimize them such that if one needs to be gate checked or such, we both aren't SOL if it gets lost. And more often than not, he has more crap than me. :)

desamo and TheBeerHunter like this.
  9. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    You mean we are not required to share with the spouse??????????

aptraveler likes this.
  10. aptraveler

aptraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now we all know, way too funny!! :)

Flyer1976 likes this.
  11. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now if I can just get her to pull her own bags thru the airport?

12. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    so on a serious note, can anyone recommend me to a post or site that i could relay to the gf that would help her in carry-on packing?

13. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't get my fiance to ever bring luggage - she refuses to let me carry anything for her, and insists on packing as much as possible in her purse and using that, even for weekend trips. I guess I'm lucky?

Valentine and desamo like this.
  14. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.onebag.com/

YULtide and mrredskin like this.
  15. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Himself and I share checked luggage and, if we happen to need two bags (for 2-3 week trips), then we cross-pack to avoid disaster. For weekend trips, we only use a carryon. As I have too much stuff that's medically necessary (taking 1/2 a carryon), I am more likely to need a checked bag even when I don't overpack.

mikesteg, YULtide and mrredskin like this.
  16. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been fortunate to not have this happen to me. I do take responsibility for cameras/noise cancelling headphones, therefore that type of stuff ends up in my carry on.