Memphis Mayor Heads to ATL to Meet Richard Anderson

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by USAF_Pride, Jul 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Link

I knew they had been reduced, but wow!!! It is also telling that the Mayor went to ATL, rather than Richard going to MEM!! On top of that, I didn't realize it has been such a long time since I had a functioning website!!

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow indeed. I had no idea that Delta being at the Memphis airport was that important to the city of Memphis.

3. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another Article

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Their non-DL passenger traffic consists of several FL flights to ATL + a few commuter flights on other legacies. NW was huge there, but I just can't see DL maintaining significant presence there after the merger. When I was in MEM a few weeks ago after a long break, I was astonished to find mostly DL Connection planes there...and a few mainline jets. Sad sight indeed.

TAHKUCT, USAF_Pride and marcwint55 like this.
  5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just ask the folks in CVG...of course that do use CVG like the (empty) SkyClub...

USAF_Pride and marcwint55 like this.
  6. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of the unstated details is that DL cut frequencies/capacities to BNA (state capital) by more than 50%. There was a recent scandal about state agencies using private aircraft to get individuals from various points in the state -- MEM included -- to BNA.

USAF_Pride and marcwint55 like this.
  7. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you take away Delta and Fed-Ex all you have left in some good BBQ and Graceland.

legalalien and USAF_Pride like this.
  8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dear Memphis: Wake up. Your city can't support enough O&D traffic to have non-stop flights to dozens of cities. You were lucky to have a hub for many years...but airlines aren't creating any more of them...if anything, they are fewer and fewer.

If you want to attract more flights, create more business in the city through incentives and a business-friendly regulatory climate...and poof, people will come.

Ever wonder why Citibank runs much of their credit cards through South Dakota? The government made it attractive for them to do so.

There is nothing Richard Anderson can do for you. Create the demand, and you can be sure he'll have plenty of flights.

It's a tough task that you have ahead of you.

Next up: CLE and DTW...

skyvan and LETTERBOY like this.
  9. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree with this 100%. Delta is not a charity.

skyvan likes this.