Memphis hotel recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by mattapter, Dec 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. mattapter

mattapter Member

Status Points:
    Any one have any good/bad experiences with Memphis hotels? Heading there late Jan wanted to see if the community had any thoughts!

I have SPG loyalty but the Sheraton and Westin seem to have less-than-stellar reviews.

Thanks
    Matt

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh take the plunge and join the ducks at the Peabody. Marvelous hotel.

marcwint55 likes this.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would second the Peabody. Great hotel and location.

4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Third the Peabody if you like historic properties. It certainly has some faults, but a great older property.

5. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any suggestions for Memphis Marriott's? Looking at the website nothing stands out. Trying to use my CC voucher 4* before it expires, and all locations are 4* or lower. Planning a trip for a night for BBQ and sightseeing. (I've not started researching the destination, just trying to get the booking in on SW before the devaluation.)

6. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    I depends on where you want to be and if you mind driving?

iirc, there's only 1 Marriott that"s located downtown along the main drag, where the streetcar runs. Definitely not a FS but rather, a CY, SHS or FI.

It's location is pretty central and you could likely walk or use the streetcar for most sights.

fwiw, I stayed at the Sheraton, the weekend it was reflagged from a FS Marriott.

The hotel was fine, especially at the LNF rate I scored. Had a lounge and the tired but serviceable typical Marriott decor that could use a bit of refreshing. The location was a little less ideal for typical touristing, being at the far end of that main drag near the Convention Center. Still, the streetcar did stop right in front of the hotel so I rarely needed to use my rental car.

At the time, the Sheraton fka Marriott only offered valet parking. However, there was a self park right across the street that charged @$5/ day.

If you don't mind driving & want a Marriott, I'd consider the FS one a few miles away in the business district.

Never stayed there but in the course of dealing with the reflagging transition of my Marriott reservation to a Sheraton, I spoke with managers of several of the area Marriott properties and the guy over at that FS Marriott was by far the most pleasant and customer friendly one of the bunch.

iolaire likes this.
  7. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't know if we will drive, but we are public transportation folks so a streetcar sounds good. If we are hunting BBQ would the streetcar work? (Without researching the area my guess would be that the good BBQ is in off the main drag areas that might require a car?)

8. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had good but not really memorable BBQ at the Central BBQ location not to far from the Lorraine Motel. That may be walkable but it's definitely not far from the streetcar.

Better eating was found at Gus's Fried Chicken, also a few blocks away from the main drag and streetcar.

ETA: The car was actually cheaper than cabbing it to/from the airport and iirc, if there were shuttles, those were even pricier. I managed & was quite happy to not use the car all weekend.

FYI, Graceland is one sight that is not downtown. However, there is a free shuttle that runs a loop from downtown to Sun Studios and Graceland but that can get crowded.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
    iolaire likes this.
  9. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    We stayed at the Residence Inn Memphis Downtown and were quite happy with it. We got street parking for free since it was a weekend and were able to walk to Beal St and Gus's Fried Chicken. Overall we found Memphis fairly run down and found that the two days/one night we were there was fine for an initial visit. Our BBQ was un exciting as the suburban location we picked was basically just a chain restaurant, but the pick was our fault, and a reminder to go to original locations. We should have gone to Rendezvous which was directly across from the Residence Inn Memphis Downtown.