Memorable/Special Cabin Attendants?

Discussion in 'JAL | Mileage Bank' started by JALPak, Feb 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you met some memorable or special cabin attendants on JAL flights? Wanna share your story? (Remark: This is inspired by fumitani's recent casanova experience :p)

You might have heard of JAL's famous Ikemen, they are basically (supposingly attractive) male cabin attendants. And there aren't that many of them. Without counting the non-Japanese ones who are based in HKG, I actually had 2 of them on my flights before. The first one was an old man. He was the Y cabin leader (what's JAL's term? I forgot). This was after the Sep 11 attack and I had to fly back to HK. I suspect that might be the reason why they are sending the male CAs on US routes during that time. I was sitting at the exit row and I suddenly saw brown liquid coming out of the galley wall. And I told him about it. He found out it is a broken coffee pot. To make me feel comfortable (I guess I looked kind of freaked out a bit), he showed me the broken pot and ensured me I shouldn't worry about it. :)

The other ikemen is a much younger one, probably in his late 20 to early 30. He also was the Y cabin head on my HKG-NRT flight. He came greet me after I board and he's the one who made the inflight announcement too (that's a nice change to hear a male CA voice). And the funny part is I bought the "Airline" magazine after my flight at NRT while I was waiting for my next flight. And I found him on one of the pictures in the magazine :eek:

Have you guys met any of these ikemen or other memorable cabin attendants?

PS: I meant memorable not memorable in the title :eek:

KIXman and fumitani like this.
  2. Mikel
    Original Member

Mikel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fixed the thread title for ya.

whkento, decerbodsubs and JALPak like this.
  3. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    No one that stands out. I had a great lady once in her 50s who was the best CA I've seen (in economy too). Really understated personal attention for everyone.

I get annoyed with the ones that come rushing up, grab the safety card, and say in English 'please read this'. I have lost count of how many times I have asked JAL to fine-tune this policy to take into account the increasing numbers of non-Asians living in Japan (ie we're not all tourists)... [​IMG]

JALPak likes this.
  4. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Her name was Hanako....and she offered me a cup of 御白湯 when I wasn't feeling to well.....sadly Hanako doesn't work anymore, she was fired when JAL took over JAS![​IMG]

whkento and JALPak like this.
  5. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to hear about that QSG! They actually fired CAs during the JAL/JAS merger? :confused:

6. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am surprised you don't know! They created 2 divisions (Domestic and International) and this is what caused the safety problems, and staff integration problems. The JAS staff took the brunt of this....I used to like flying JAS, they were friendly and I used to get NWA points when making connection in TYO or OSA! If you notice during the restructuring that for the most part former JAS aircraft have been sent packing (and the people that worked on them).

JALPak likes this.
  7. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Um...what should they say then? Did you mean the card for emergency row seats or the regular emergency instructions because there's lack of English announcement/demo?

On my last CTS-HND flight they didn't even bother to make an English announcement onboard. But during drink service the CA found out I don't speak Japanese, she kindly asked if I need English announcements. I said nah...I will be fine. But they still started making English announcements afterwards. But I agree that as an international carrier, they should at least make announcements in both Japanese and English by default.

Oh but on NRT-CTS, they even have pre-recorded mandarin announcements :eek:

KIXman, fumitani and Phobia like this.
  8. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    I knew about the 2 separate companies but didn't know about the firing or should I say layoff? (I am still too young to work remember :p it was too young for me to follow those stuff back then :eek:) I am surprised they didn't make a fuss about that (like they do now with the recent layoff).

So you actually kept in touch with Hanako or you just somehow know she's gone?

9. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    They are still making the same fuss........did you ever wonder who was being let go first? I have had the opportunity to meet her again, she is now working in management(in-flight) for another airline! (she has to be mid-fifties, not that I would ask)

JALPak likes this.
  10. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Should I say lucky you then :p Didn't have a chance to fly JAS before so not really sure how their service was compared to JAL's. But since JAL is the surviving company, it's safe to say JAS' CAs are the ones to go first :)

11. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    They should not say anything. Just because I am white doesn't merit drawing attention to the fact [​IMG]

They should do what any sensible airline does, and make two safety announcements. Who knows how many of the Asian passengers actually speak Japanese? Why treat only people who look different differently?

If I'm sitting next to John Park from Boston, they will run up to me and push the safety card at me and talk to me in English, something I neither need nor want, and ignore him, even though he can't speak Japanese [​IMG]

One of my pet peeves, along with people addressing the answers to my questions to my wife [​IMG]

loadera and JALPak like this.
  12. fumitani
    Original Member

fumitani Gold Member

Status Points:
    My mom use to be best friends with the station manager in LAX her name was Masako but I'm not sure if she still works there. She use to secure us the emex seats on lax-kix flights. We haven't heard from her in three years already so I'll check it out when I am there in couple of months.

KIXman, whkento and JALPak like this.
  13. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    My family used to know the HKG op director and he would do the same for me ;) but he retired a couple of years ago and I have to secure those seats myself now :(

Hey if she's still working there, tell her I will volunteer to work for them during weekend LOL

KIXman, whkento and fumitani like this.
  14. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    So anyone else had ikemen on their flights before? Am I that "lucky" to have that twice? :p

15. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think I have ever seen a male CA on a JAL flight...

JALPak likes this.
  16. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had at least 4. 2 Japanese and 2 HK based.

17. musashino22
    Original Member

musashino22 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a memorable encounter with a nice Japanese CA last year. I was flying to PH from Narita and it was World Cup - JPN vs NED game and I was still a Crystal member during that time. She would update me about the progress of the game and the scores too - during half time and the final outcome which JPN lost - using a small memo. [​IMG]

whkento and JALPak like this.
  18. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    So nice of her doing that. How did she know you want the update in the first place?

KIXman, fumitani and musashino22 like this.
  19. musashino22
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have mistakenly clicked the Like button thinking it's the reply button. haha... Going back to your question, I don't even know...may be because the passengers that time were mostly in transit from the US with their huge hand carries (no pun intended) who doesn't care about the World Cup. [​IMG] I hate taking that PM flight but I don't like the AM flight as well as I have to wake up very early...haha

JALPak likes this.
  20. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Liking" is encouraged and is a good way to reward other posters for their contribution. But in case you want to undo that, there's a Unlike button at the same place.

So she just randomly giving updates to passengers? :p

21. musashino22
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I guess so but in my area I noticed I was the only one getting the updates.[​IMG]

JALPak likes this.
  22. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe you just look like you want one. It's written all over your face and you just didn't notice :p

23. kaka
    Original Member

kaka Gold Member

Status Points:
    are there flights where theres only few FAs comfortable in speaking English? I did NRT-AMS in C in 2008 and I was mainly served by 1 young lady (mid-late 20s??). It was her first flight to AMS and i should have offered to take her around xD. it felt to me the other FAs didnt want to speak in english and she gives a it a go. anyway, very nice :p

fumitani and JALPak like this.
  24. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    You sure you aren't the one who made them uncomfortable to speak in English with? :eek: Let's see what your experience is after you have tried JAL F in April (or is it May).

25. kaka
    Original Member

kaka Gold Member

Status Points:
    obasans? it's probs me cuz if not they wont need to speak in english, but i wont think that way. I'm allowed to buy a ticket using english anyway so i dont expect myself to need to speak japanese to fly.

fumitani and JALPak like this.