Members pay...more!

Discussion in 'Hertz | #1 Awards/#1 Club' started by trobb49, Aug 10, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. trobb49

trobb49 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just searched Hertz for a 4-day rental from EWR at the beginning of October. When I logged in with my credentials, I was presented with one set of prices, and when I logged out and tried again, I got different prices. The standard "Pay later" prices were a wee bit higher (except for the Chevy Cruze) BUT I was also offered the option of paying up front with considerably CHEAPER prices!!

And why is the Chevy Cruze called a "Fuel Saver" when the other less expensive cars have comparable MPG?

Has anyone else noticed oddities such as these?

MembersPayMore.jpg

2. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes. This is classic Deltification. You know what it is...and in the very unlikely event you aren't sure what I mean, post here and I'll tell you all :p

You will find other market segmentation anomalies with the Hertz site that I'm not going to post here but if you explore on the track you have outlined above, you may discover some worthwhile things.

Newscience likes this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've seen this with Hertz a lot, but generally only when "Discount/CDP/Club Code" is not applied (you leave set to Hertz Member Program). If you have anything else (company code, airline discount, whatever) the prices are generally lower.

Newscience likes this.
  4. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am also wondering if this also reflects points vs. non-points pricing. Since it appears that most Car Rental Companies are now charging extra for 'giving' FF points or affinity points, could this show the price without points. I have experienced the charge for minimal points being in the range of $5-10 on rentals from Hertz, Avis, Alamo, and Budget. Since the miles are minimal, (<500) I don't pay for them.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've noticed the Hertz website ask whether a car rental is for business or leisure. That makes me suspicious about the rates being offered.

6. trobb49

trobb49 Silver Member

Status Points:
    To me "deltification" means a mathematical process of adding/subtracting a specific amount rather than having a separate full table of data. Is this what you mean -- that they have a base fee which they then add/subtract amounts to depending on various parameters in the buyer's request?

redtailshark likes this.
  7. redtailshark

Status Points:
    No, I don't mean "deltification" with small "d" as in mathematical operation. I mean "Deltification" with an upperclass D. In fact, a *mejor en su clase* D we might say. Let me exemplify classic Deltification, like this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...rld-record-even-dl-sm-best-class-alright.html

8. redtailshark

Status Points:
    @trobb49 and other readers, I'm sorry, I'm not sure I conveyed my point clearly enough. Definitions are important. So...

"Deltification" (with uppercase D) is the process of enhancing a product or service until it is:

[​IMG]mejor en su clase[​IMG]

Now you know :D