Member Elect Air Berlin Increases Service to Various Locations

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by DestinationDavid, May 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Article located here.

Summary of increased schedule:
    • TXL - DXB increased to 6 weekly flights
    • TXL - BKK increased to 4 weekly flights
    • TXL - MIA increased to 3 weekly flights
    • TXL - JFK changes to 3 weekly winter flights
    • TXL - HKT increased to 3 weekly flights
    • DUS - BKK increased to 5 weekly flights
    • DUS - JFK winter service will be 4 times a week

2. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to see expansion - however only really JFK is a OW hub.

Be interesting to see whether the BKK-TXL flight connects with QF SYD-BKK, as historically QF has used SYD-FRA then train as the entry to Deutschland.

3. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Air Berlin is a good little airline by the way- glad to see them expanding!

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully after the opening of BBI, other OW airlines will add flights and Air Berlin can start to create a OW hub.

5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wouldn't DUS actually be a better/more convenient hub?

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As it stands now, AY/BA/IB serve both DUS and TXL. I know rumors on the AA board have floated that after BBI opens AA is looking to add a flight there. Considering AA has already cut service to Germany, I don't see them adding yet another route to DUS as well. If AA ends up adding a BBI flight it becomes the more attractive candidate, at least from what I can see.

7. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm.. I am not an expert on German air travel, but my understanding is that the Koln/Dusseldorf area is far more lucrative for the airlines than Berlin. Add also the excellent infrastructure connections (train station in the airport as an example and excellent autobahn connections) and strategic location, and it would seem strange to add Berlin (despite being the capital- a notorious low yield leisure destination) instead of DUS/CGN.

Even Lufthansa- which generally strongly supports government initiatives- has stated they will not make a hub in Berlin. Air Berlin has carved out a great niche with Berlin because it has fares close to LCC level in most cases. I love Berlin as a city- and visit frequently- however there is practically zero business traffic to Berlin except diplomatic (very limited) as there is very little industry in/around Berlin compared to other areas of Germany. Direct nonstop flights such as CLT/MUC have come about because one or two large companies have financially committed to them (as in guaranteeing the number of C/F seats purchased per year)- CLT notably with BMW group.

Finally, a number of the largest trade shows in Europe are hosted in Dusseldorf- not Berlin (which has ITB and not a lot else). I cannot imagine AA entering the Berlin market unless there were heavy subsidies or other considerations which made this market more attractive- probably a very easy route to use your e-vips if it does come about however :)

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    One of the things I've learned over the past few years of watching airlines add and cancel routes is that the conventional wisdom on what makes a route "work" is never as obvious as it seems, not to mention a lot of the information you've given focuses on BBI as a destination, and doesn't really look at it from a perspective of what a hub would be - a connection point. Besides, isn't the construction of BBI designed to encourage a new, major transportation hub in Germany?

If AA had seen cash to be made in DUS I'm willing to bet they'd have given that route a shot. They've cut FRA flights, leaving DFW as the only gateway from the US to Germany on AA. DUS is an established airport and AA could look into opening flights there, or could have already, but I haven't heard any movement.

I have no inside information, but I have heard an individual who does seem to have a lot of accurate insight on TOBB state that AA was thinking of adding JFK-FRA to replace the cancelled ORD-FRA, and then add ORD-BBI. Nothing yet on DUS.

I think only time will tell. It could be BBI, DUS, or neither. The airline world is very fickle! :confused:

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Also, for what it's worth, AA *has* added its code to many AB flights into DUS from the US, so I do see some sparks of possible DUS hubbing.....:)

LINK.

"American Airlines and airberlin group has filed codeshare application with the US DoT. Codeshare service to be launched on 01NOV10.

Planned codeshare routes as follows:

American Airlines operated by airberlin / NIKI
    Ft. Myers – Dusseldorf
    Los Angeles – Dusseldorf
    Miami – Berlin Tegel
    Miami – Dusseldorf
    New York JFK – Dusseldorf
    San Francisco – Dusseldorf
    Barcelona – Dusseldorf
    Barcelona – Stuttgart
    Barcelona – Vienna
    Frankfurt – Berlin Tegel
    Frankfurt – Dusseldorf
    Frankfurt – Hamburg
    Frankfurt – Vienna
    Milan Malpensa – Berlin Tegel
    Milan Malpensa – Dusseldorf
    Milan Malpensa – Stuttgart
    Milan Malpensa – Zurich
    Zurich – Berlin Tegel
    Zurich – Hamburg
    Zurich – Vienna

airberlin operated by American Airlines
    Frankfurt – Chicago
    Frankfurt – Dallas
    Zurich – New York JFK
    Miami – Freeport
    Miami – Nassau
    Los Angeles – Honolulu
    Los Angeles – Las Vegas
    Los Angeles – San Diego
    Los Angeles – San Francisco
    Miami – Atlanta
    Miami – Chicago
    Miami – Dallas
    Miami – Ft. Myers
    Miami – Houston
    Miami – Las Vegas
    Miami – New Orleans
    Miami – Orlando
    Miami – Phoenix
    Miami – Tampa
    New York JFK – Boston
    New York JFK – Los Angeles
    New York JFK – Miami
    New York JFK – Raleigh
    New York JFK – San Francisco
    New York JFK – Seattle
    New York JFK – Washington Reagan"

10. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent point :) Our job here on Milepoint is of course to be "armchair CEO of all major airlines"- you are of course correct that anything could change. In any event, more competition into the fairly captive German air market is certainly welcome- before the entrance of Air Berlin into my base airport, airfares to DUS/CGN were ruinously high (sometimes 1300 EUR in economy round trip for a 700 km flight!) and involved a connection through either MUC or FRA every time. Now, with Air Berlin heavily in the market, round trip can be had for <300 EUR on average, and even as low as 100 EUR with some flexibility- and even LH has added a nonstop to DUS for <300 EUR.