MEM being Cut 25%

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by brfort, Mar 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    DeltaExpert likes this.
  2. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably most smaller cities served by 50 seat RJ's are the first to go

3. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this a cut in Delta departures or Delta* departures? A quarter of mainline is not nearly as bad as a quarter of total flow.

* may be operated by nearly anyone but it is not Delta when it hits the fan

edit: second link states low O/D DL Connection traffic.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Postmerger DL strategy of cutting capacity and increasing fares has been very successful, but where will it end? I half-expected DL to expand capacity to keep its bragging rights as the largest airline as UA and CO merge.

5. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    n
    When prices get to the point that business and leisure travelers stop traveling by air. Given the current rebound, I don't expect to see that for months or years.
    I think the UA merged airline is way larger than existing DL, so DL would have to expand capacity significantly, and they have neither the human nor metal resources to do so.

6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Obviously disappointing for folks based in MEM - the DL/NW deal basically costs them non-stop service to most cities.

Most agree this was inevitable.

Cleveland is next (CO/UA)....then Denver?

DeltaExpert likes this.
  7. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Possibly Cleveland..... Doubtful on Denver

8. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Indiana Delta Diamond Silver Member

Status Points:
    25% reduction = "non-stop service to most cities"?

9. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cleveland is definite (may have even been announced already). I think (but am not 100% certain) that Denver has the lowest o&d traffic of any of their remaining hubs...which would make it the next logical candidate.

10. Seat1A
    Original Member

Seat1A Silver Member

Status Points:
    ick...

but then... whenever i try to book a trip where MEM is a viable alternative, DL is already pricing me out of it by running too-small airplanes.. in the last half hour, i booked JAX-ATL-DFW over JAX-MEM-DFW, because JAX-MEM is a CRJ2 with only Y/B available..... (the MEM times were great, but the nearly-full 50-seater was not...)

sigh.... MEM was a great stop for bbq....

11. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm referring to the gradual reduction in service to mem that has been occuring over the past 18 months plus this additional big-bang reduction.

Mem isn't really needed, except as a feeder city, in the DL network.

12. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    MEM is my all-time favorite hub to connect in. It is said that my opportunity to do this in the future is reduced by 1/4.

DenverBrian likes this.
  13. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love connecting in MEM because of the BBQ smell as soon as you get off the jetway

Billiken and DeltaExpert like this.
  14. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Indiana Delta Diamond Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree but they haven't lost service to most US cities.

15. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll also mention that as a DL Silver, I almost always got the upgrade into and out of MEM, that is, when the plane had a first class cabin.

I too love connecting there whenever it is an option for me.

brfort and DeltaExpert like this.
  16. ryandc99
    Original Member

ryandc99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just like CVG!

Billiken and DeltaExpert like this.
  17. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sad, too. :D :D :D

18. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've liked MEM for connections ever since the WC was renovated. It's so much saner and more efficient than trying to connect through ATL. In fact, the last time I had the choice, fares were lower through MEM and I knew that my upgrade chances would be much greater. Ex post, I realized that, because of "weather" (actually a few snowflakes, hardly even a dusting) delays, going through ATL would have resulted in a six hour arrival at my destination, assuming that I could even get a seat on the last flight of the day after missing what would have been my connection. Yuck! (For the record, the MEM routing worked beautifully as expected that day and I got both upgrades at my window and for my favorite seats on both aircraft. What's not to like about MEM?)

19. cfischer
    Original Member

cfischer Silver Member

Status Points:
    :mad: I like MEM .. nice airport and easy upgrades ... too bad to see it go downhill :(

20. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I often wonder how much a fortress hub hinders tourism in a city like MEM. I know I am not the average tourist, so my decision making can't be used to reflect the masses, but I know I love going to MEM and MSY, and both are fun citys with a great nightlife and awesome local food. I go to MSY about 5 times for every time I make it to MEM. Hotels are about the same for me, it just keeps coming back to cost of airfare. I also think about the two times I flew into BNA and drove to Memphis to save $200 on airfare. That costs Memphis tourist money. and I realize delta is not giving up gates, so the fares in and out of Memphis are not about to drop like a rock.

21. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know that large meetings and conventions routinely consider airline choices and airfare cost in their criteria for selecting a venue, in addition to the convenience of travel to the location. I've certainly participated in a number of meetings of various sizes in MSY, including several that have filled the city's hotels, but never in MEM.

Mike1625 likes this.
  22. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    MSY's ability to host conferences is impressive. We had the big mathematics conference there with over 6,000 mathematicians in January, and the hotel I was at had a bunch of people from another conference. In the queue for the shuttle from the airport to the hotel (a total mess, as it seems they didn't realize everyone would be coming at the same time), there were people for at least one more big conference. I go to this meeting every winter, and in ATL, SFO, SAN, PHX, WAS, etc. I don't recall hearing about or seeing attendees at so many major conferences in the same area concurrently.