Melbourne Airport - Public transportation (Metcard)

Discussion in 'SYD/MEL/BNE | Australia Regional Airports' started by Ed1, May 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Ed1

Ed1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If a person does not take the SkyBus into the city, is it possible to purchase a Metcard at the airport or pay the bus driver cash when boarding the public bus?
    Thanks!

2. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never seen a Metcard machine at the airport. Not sure drivers take cash any more or if buses have fare kiosks on them where you could purchase a card. I always take the SkyBus into the city and their shuttle to the IC or Hyatt depending upon where I stay. Put it on a credit card so as not to use scarce cash.

3. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There used to be combined Skybus/Metcard tickets sold at the airport, but they never worked very well. In the end you had to buy them from the counter and many an attendant didn't know what you were talking about.

As the Canuck suggested, simply use the credit card machine at the Skybus stop at the airport. Then, once you get to Southern Cross station you get a Metcard for the train/tram you need to catch out of downtown. You can also buy Metcards in lots of 7-11's and newsagents. If you're a frequent Melbourne visitor, then you might want to get a reloadable Myki card, which are supposed to replace Metcards one of these days.