Melatonin - how much to use? when to use? which brands? ack!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by dtc, Apr 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. dtc

dtc Active Member

Status Points:
    I acknowledge that all medical advice here is for entertainment purposes only, and may cause harm/death to me, and that you are not my doctor.

Ok with that out of the day, I've never used melatonin before - because usually I build in enough buffer time to adjust, or... well... frankly... I'm down with showing up like a zombie the next day. :)

But this time, I'm flying out from LAX to NRT - getting in at 4p JST. I need to be johnny-on-the-spot between 8a-6p (maybe even earlier in the day :eek: ) the next day.

And then when I return stateside 5 days later, I need to be ready-to-go for the next day as well.

Ack!

So melatonin warriors - how does this work? (Possible related info: Mid 30's, 155lbs, no F/J for me [unless someone wants to donate an evip to me!], chronically in sleep debt)

thepointstraveler and mo26 like this.
  2. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    i've been told to only ever take one. I've tried it a few times, never did anything for me.

-MO

MX likes this.
  3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    It made me sleepy the next day after I took it. ;)
    Melatonin has a very long clearance time, and not useful or predictable as a sedative.

violist, thesterlingtraveler and mo26 like this.
  4. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I was taking melatonin, I got it at Mothers Market. I just got a 1mg lozenge that disintegrates in your mouth. It didn't always make me fall asleep faster but I did find that I was able to sleep through the night (which at the time, I was not doing without it)

5. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    My experience (YMMV): I take one 3mg - 5mg tab after arrival and just before going to bed. Where it really helps is when I wake up in the middle of the night (in the new time zone), it helps me roll over and go back to deep sleep instead of just lying there awake or semi-awake.

I tried one tab once while trying to doze off on a long flight, not sure whether it helped or not.

TheBeerHunter and mo26 like this.
  6. CDKing
    Original Member

CDKing Gold Member

Status Points:
    The one i used to take advertised as being able to take as late as 4 hours before you had tr wake up. For some reason it always made me wake up 4 hours after taking and having a hard time to get back to sleep. I'm trying to remember the brand.

So many to choose from though. go to drugstore.com and search for melatonin and you will get over 82 different ones and 48 are considered top rated

mo26 likes this.
  7. firstglobal

firstglobal Silver Member

Status Points:
    The dosages sold in drugstores are way too high - if you take the right amount, you won't feel tired the next day. I buy 3mg tabs and cut them in quarters.

violist and mo26 like this.
  8. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Trader Joe's sells 500 mcg chewables.

violist, firstglobal and mo26 like this.
  9. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    I take a 3mg time release 30 minutes before I go to bed and plan to sleep for 7-8 hours. Most of the time it seems to help me sleep more soundly. Sometimes I'm a bit foggy in the AM however a shower or a coffee will clear that up quickly.

mo26 and IDGflygirl like this.
  10. firstglobal

firstglobal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks - I'll check that out!

mo26 and IDGflygirl like this.
  11. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points: