MEL T1 power outage tonight

Discussion in 'Qantas Airways | Frequent Flyer' started by thewinchester, May 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. thewinchester
    Original Member

thewinchester Silver Member

Status Points:
    I feel sorry for any MP members who were flying to or from MEL this evening.

At 1820 AWST, MEL T1 lost all power affecting both QF and JQ flights to and from the port.

First news broke via twitter, with limited pictures and a picture of what was going on developing via the medium.

At first, pax were being processed manually but this seemed to get more and more difficult as the outage progressed - right in the middle of the Friday peak period.

Outage lasted for over an hour, and even when servcies were restored delays of 90min were being reported. Both carriers issued a pretty generic media statement that they were investegating the issue.

Effects were being felt far beyond MEL, with flights not yet departed for MEL being kept on the tarmac until the problem could be resolved.

Considering the large crowds backed up in the terminal I was seeing from citizen photography, I dare say the Red Roo is in for a rough night. This won't be helped at all by the 2300hr curfew at SYD, which may give the airline some headaches both getting passengers home, and with aircraft/crew positioning carrying into Saturday.

[​IMG]
    Photo posted to twitter by tommymac81

[​IMG]
    Photo posted to twitter by @nicholasibrahim

2. bluesky
    Original Member

bluesky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks pretty miserable. And security was shut down - so you couldn't even wait it out in the lounge!

3. thewinchester
    Original Member

thewinchester Silver Member

Status Points:
    From reports on AFF, the lounges (at least the J lounge, still confirming main) had to be closed for safety reasons as there was not enough lighting to operate them without pax being at risk as they moved about. So even if you were past security when it went down, there was squat you could do bar go outside into the main terminal.

bluesky likes this.
  4. bluesky
    Original Member

bluesky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yuk. I'm sure wee MPers could safely sit it out in the corner with a bottle of wine :)