MEL-SYD-NRT-BOS a Valid routing for an award?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Muerl, May 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had at one point heard that Transit via Asia was not allowed to Australia, but then I have recently heard otherwise.

Since it has At least 1 if not 2 JAL legs I can't check on AA's website, so before I get on hold for to long I wanted to ask the wizards over here.

Its WELL under MPM*1.25 if that matters.

I am seeing Business Availability for all legs as well which boggles my mind. So here I am asking ;)

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    No, it's not valid unless it's a OW Explorer award. If you're talking about a normal all partner award, connecting in Asia is not allowed for South Pacific routings.

If they made a change, I haven't seen it.

3. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Damn, knew it seemed to good to be true.

So I could book it, but just as two awards :(

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:

Yes, would be North America - Asia 1, Asia 1 - South Pacific.

You could always call and try the booking to see how they price it, but according to published rules it's two awards.

JonNYC likes this.
  5. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    For a silverlining, there is likely to be better availability which may be useful in a pinch. Of course, the same is true of awards that include BA's YQ. :)

6. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    If connecting through Asia I would really look at the distance based awards instead of two partner awards. Not always possible, but usually an option especially on CX via HKG if NRT was just an availability/routing choice.

7. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    NRT is a routing choice because of the NRT-BOS direct. I could not find ANY transcend availability the weekend I was looking for, so it would be 2 stops no matter what, so why connect in Chicago or Dallas or Miami when you can fly business the whole way and connect in NRT ;)

Also, its just a one way, and sow while an explore award would let me add an AKL-MEL leg, this flight is about getting us home from OZ, so that seems like more miles than its worth.

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You actually save 5K AA miles per person by routing through HKG on CX instead of NRT with JL.

45K South Pac to Asia 1 (NRT) + 50K Asia 1 to N. America (BOS) = 95K AA miles

35K South Pac to Asia 2 (HKG) + 55K Asia 2 to N. America (BOS) = 90K AA miles

If you want the uniqueness of flying the 787, JL might be the choice for you. But the JL 787 has an angled lie flat seat in a 2-2-2 lay out which means you don't always get aisle access and sleep on a slope the entire 14 hours there.

Saving the 5K per person with CX means you can route MEL-HKG-JFK/LAX/ORD-BOS (so same number of stops as your NRT itinerary) and get an full lie flat seat across the Pacific in a business cabin with 100% aisle access for all seats. As someone who has flown CX's new Cirrus seat and various JL business seats, I'd give the edge to CX.

Just some things for you to consider. :)

9. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:

The 2-2-2 doesn't worry me if I can manage to get two seats next to each other. Since the only "Business" class seat I have ever flown long haul in was 3K slope seats sounds fine. The other thing that is appealing about this is that we don't have another connection to make AFTER our long hauls. Flying HKG -> ORG and then having to change terminals and get on a small plane after so much flying seems like a pain.