MEL-SYD Award

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by aussieflyer, Feb 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. aussieflyer
    Original Member

aussieflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    My question kind of applies to all *A carries but since its a UA flight, thought I would get the best answer here.

Is it possible to to get an award ticket MEL-SYD on UA without continuing on the connecting UA flight?

Either by itself or as part of a *A ticket, say, MEL-SYD-BKK?

2. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Foreign carriers can not fly Australia domestic routes, so the only way to get the MEL-SYD is to have an international flight out of Australia

Skyvillager likes this.
  3. WaterSki
    Original Member

WaterSki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have flown SFO-SYD (stop) SYD-MEL (destination) MEL-SYD-LAX all on UA before. Not quite the situation the OP proposed, but it does show MEL-SYD ticketed without an immediate connection in SYD. I got the "DOMESTIC" sticker for my passport in SYD indicating that I didn't have to go through immigration in MEL.

4. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So have I, but it seems you need on the same ticket the intl flight out of Australia.
    I also got the orange "D" sticker before

Skyvillager likes this.
  5. I thought it would be possible for an award, since no money is changing hands?

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    That applies to "revenue" fares.
    It might be. I know that non-revs can fly JFK-LAX on QF - assuming their carrier has privileges on QF - because it is non-rev and therefore doesn't violate cabotage rules. I'm not sure if reward seats are considered revenue or non-revenue for that condition. In many of the rules (e.g. IRROPs handling) award seats are considered revenue so it isn't particularly clear which way it would fall here.

7. Awards are absolutely NOT considered revenue for IRROPs.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    They should be...

Those quotes are from the *A employee operations manual.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  9. When you're on an award, UA will not put you on another airline in IRROPs. Lots of stories to that effect. Perhaps they should, but they don't (typically). Typical UA.