Mekong River or North Vietnam ?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by anileze, Jul 24, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I might have some downtime in between a trip to SEA. I was wondering if someone has done, or heard of someone one taking a few days to go down the Mekong River ? Plan B, I want to take a sampan to Catba National Park ? Basic criteria is a) No cell signal b) No creature comforts c) Just a short wave radio. to chill for a week before heading back to SIN.

I wonder if there was anything comparable to the mail boats from Manaus to Santarem ?

Kalboz and MX like this.
  2. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cat Ba was far cooler than the Mekong Delta region and you have few worries about too many creature comforts if you do not want them. Most of the towns in the Delta were connected by these bullet boats that acted like passenger buses and were kind of cool, otherwise the area was fairly drab.

Up river from the Delta would be completely different though, I have been on some of these dragon-type boats with the long propeller shafts that are basically connected to full V6 or V8 motors on a swivel, noisy but cool scenery as you motor down the river, possible to cover some distance. There are other boats but these type are the only ones I have been on.

concerned about an intruding cell signal, just turn your phone off :eek:

I liked Cat Ba, it is possible to get very basic accommodation and hike or moped around the islands, gorgeous area. You could also hire a variety of boats to stay on or just transport to island

will try to find the name of this tasty non-descript restaurant on Cat Ba I went to for several days

Kalboz, iolaire and anileze like this.
  3. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    The cell phone signal was a metaphor :) I am so glad, you have done both. Are these dragon boats something like the ones in Bangkok and Thailand ?

Kalboz likes this.
  4. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    basically you see these dragon type boats on all the rivers in SE Asia, narrow 6 to 12 m long, sometimes metal, sometimes wood but always with like 4 or 5 metre long propeller shafts mounted to a car engine. Bring heavy duty head phones if you go for it, I have heard of tourists taking 100 km+ trips

at Cat Ba there are dozens of boat options from super basic to luxury, I found the interior of the islands quite quaint, rural

Kalboz likes this.
  5. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I do carry my Bose Quietcomfort.

Kalboz likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Go north IMO. I've done the south and it was meh.

Kalboz and anileze like this.
  7. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I have done south, just missed Haipong & CatBa

Kalboz likes this.
  8. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    If your trip is happening later on this year, you might wanna consider the luxurious "Mekong Aqua": http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/30/travel/rolling-on-the-mekong-river.html?ref=travel

anileze likes this.
  9. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz likes this.
  10. govietnam

govietnam Active Member

Status Points:
    My vote is for Mekong river, you can take a day tour or stay at Victoria Hotel in Chau Doc