MegaDO Primer - For those who don't know...

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by ranman1973, Jul 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ranman1973

ranman1973 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay, I'm a regular milepoint user. In fact, I would say I'm a milepoint enthusiast. I have 74 msgs to my credit and am a member of the Centurian Like Club (that's 100 Likes, by the way). I know there are some super fanatics that have way more than that, but I like to think I'm in the upper percentile of MilePoint members in so far as contributions to this great discussion medium.

But I still have NO IDEA what MegaDO is. Can somebody please explain to me? What is it and why are some peeps seemingly so enthralled by it?

Thanks.

Jubileesmom and aptraveler like this.
  2. aviator8

aviator8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    this may be a bit of the blind leading the blind because i have never been to one, but i believe itis a big get together of people who like to travel. i just learned this trick the other day- highlight the word and milepoint will pop up an explanation in the upper right corner. it works on my pc but can,t do it now as i am on my touchpad.

3. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:

aptraveler likes this.
  4. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I have no idea why all of my last post is mucked up but you get the gist of what I was saying.

5. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    MegaDos feature this
    1) whirlwind visits to many cities in a short period of time, usually one maybe two different stops a day (My favorite was the time we did Frankfort/Oslo/Toulouse/Frankfort in one day)
    2) usually hosted breakfast/lunch/dinner parties/events at each stop
    3) opportunities to meet and speak with airline executives at the highest levels
    4) backstage tours/opportunities to visit places not normally open to the public (flight school, flight simulators, kitchens, baggage handling, water evacuations, operations center, maintenance operations, manufacturing facilities (A380 and Dreamliner for example).
    5) a chartered plane with special food and libations/open bar (every MegaDo has had special wines/liquors. One had Kona coffee brought from fresh from the Hawaiian plantation)
    6) lotteries and auctions on board that raise money for the MegaDo charities
    7) lots of opportunities to interact with experienced travelers and bloggers - share and learn
    8) Did I mention events and parties?
    9) Special mileage offers. Lots of airline swag.

6. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    MegaSwag? :D

7. ParanoiaTX
    Original Member

ParanoiaTX Gold Member

Status Points:
    As already mentioned, a Do is basically a meetup of flying enthusiasts. The term dates back quite a few years from over on FlyerTalk and has been used ever since. If you poke around in the community and/or meetup forums across the two sites you will find quite a few posted, ranging in scope from a small group dinner to much larger yearly gatherings around the world (see OzFest, CowDo, SinDo, DubaiDo, just to name a few). Some have taken place for 10+ years. The very largest events have been called MegaDos.

I believe the term was first coined for StarMegaDo #1 in 2009 when a 757 was chartered to fly FRA-OSL-TLS-FRA, basically amounting to a party bus with wings. Along the way there were exclusive-access special events hosted by the various airports, airlines and airplane manufacturers. There have been 4 MegaDos of this type (3 Star Alliance, 1 oneworld) that still follow the same basic concept of a core set of charter flights with various exclusive aviation-related stops along the way. There is usually an (optional) international component as well.

bonnerbl listed many of the types of activities one would expect in his post above. If you search on google, you should able to pretty easily find an endless assortment of media, blogs, photo galleries and more relating to all of these. My own collection of MegaDo photos is here. Finally, here are links to the threads/forums discussing the last 3 MegaDos and the upcoming SMD4:

[​IMG] (Nov 2010) [​IMG] (Sept 2011) [​IMG] (Jan 2012) [​IMG] (Nov 2012)

8. ranman1973

ranman1973 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the great insights everyone. Sounds like quite a big commitment. not sure I've got the points or cash to go, but it sounds like a lot of great fun.