Mega travelers

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by fernando simoes, May 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. When American will start a spetial program for mega travelers, 200000 a year or more

2. American should be a pioneer, for mega travelers

3. onlybeef42
    Original Member

onlybeef42 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I volunteer to do product testing ;)

Eloy Fonseca Neto likes this.
  4. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA does have its "secret status" VIP program, but it's invitation-only and mileage flown isn't the only consideration; I don't even know if it's a consideration at all. Generally for connected people, travel decision makers or celebrities.

My guess is that 100K will be the maximum "status" level, although you may bonuses for mileage over that, starting at 125K.

Mike

5. sukn
    Original Member

sukn Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are going to start such a thread, how about at least mentioning some of the benefits you would like to see for the 200K level.

6. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think that really exists Mike, otherwise we would definitely know about that, perhaps you're referring to the concierge key that is not attached to the miles itself, but to the revenue those "VIPs" arrange for AA!!!

7. GeneCMH
    Original Member

GeneCMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it makes perfect sense to have an additional level at maybe 150,000 or 200,000. As it stands, there isn't much incentive to keep flying the same airline once you've peaked. Makes more sense to comp over to another and then achieve status in an alternate / backup program. If there were reason to continue beyond 100,000, I would concentrate all my travel on AA and use others very rarely.

Additional benefits of interest:
    • AC membership
    • Upgrades on award travel
    • sAAver award levels that aren't capacity controlled (I know, keep dreaming)
    • more eVIPs and/or some guaranteed at time of booking upgrades
    • double class upgrades (Y --> F)
    • Gold or Platinum gifted to another person
    • 150% RDM bonus (200%?)
    • Complimentary domestic upgrades extended to travel companion
    • Complimentary 5 Star Service (at select airports, as sold)
    • 'x' number of waivers and favors allocated for change fees, oversells, standby, etc...

Other ideas?

Eloy Fonseca Neto likes this.
  8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    My incentive to keep flying my airline of choice after I peak is to enjoy the benefits I've earned. ;)

If someone flew 200,000 BIS miles, I could see the allure of top tier status in two alliances, but anything below that and I'd say just focus on one and enjoy the perks.

A lot of the options you've listed have been offered by AA as elite choice options in promos before, and the extra SWUs are already available for individuals with high EQP upon request.

Many of those options would be nice though.... :)

9. miamigrad
    Original Member

miamigrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with DestinationDavid's assessment. I've never flown that much in a year. If I did, however, I'd probably split to earn top tier status on 2 airlines.

As it stands now, I use the bennies afforded to me from my current flying pattern.

10. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's exactly what I'm doing now!!! Main program: AA, and back-up: UA!!! Next monday will be my first time flying as a UA customer!!!

11. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:
    David, please elaborate on the SWU per request on American for those with high EQP!!! Never heard of it!!!

12. miamigrad
    Original Member

miamigrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Certain customers with high EQP (generally, in excess of 150,000 EQP) and other criteria (which is NOT published) have asked for, and received, additional SWUs. Members have reported this success in both FlyerTalk and TravelingBetter forums.

No one knows the exact criteria used, but (again, generally speaking), it seems to happen for those that go in excess of 150k EQP, along with some other criteria (some may even be successful asking for additional SWUs if they are in excess of 125k EQP - though, given the link I posted below, I'd think they have a lower chance of success than those that pass the 150k EQP mark). In any case, these people are referred to as "overachieving EXP:"
    http://www.travelingbetter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3917&highlight=overachieving

13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    See miamigrad's excellent response above....

14. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thank you!!! Always had above 150k with AA and did not know about that!!! Thank you so much!!!

15. ab3i
    Original Member

ab3i Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last year, I made AA E-Plat and flew a bunch on DL, CO, FF as well. This year thanks to the fact that the only non-stop flights are on US, I am going after UA/CO-1k (~70K EQMs), I have ~ 30k EQM's on AA as well, but i dont think i will be able to re-qualify for E-Plat this year :(

16. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Note that it is 150K EQP, not EQM. Big difference in AA's mind, 150K EQM will just receive a yawn.

17. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks... I was talking exactly about EQP, because I only travel in Business and First which gives me 1.5 points per mile flown. Am I right?

18. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, if you're buying J and F fares, you get 1.5 EQP. Note that if you use a SWU on an economy fare, you still earn EQP at the economy fare code rate.

LINK.

19. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are paying for tickets into Business and First, that is correct. If you are using eVIPs to upgrade into business or first, not correct.

20. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:
    B and Y gives you 1,50 EQP!!!

21. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly!
    I don't recall knowing what the term was. Most years I do 125k EQP or more (some years have been much more, some just barely above), and have gotten extra SWUs. Nice to think I am an "overachiever" at something.

22. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    To refine this a step further, if you are using eVIPs to uprading from business to first, then you'd get the 1.5x.

23. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That person would be getting 1.5x EQP because they were originally on a paid ticket in business class which gives 1.5x EQP, just like F.

Using a SWU doesn't change anything. Or is there a piece here I'm missing? :confused:

24. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is correct. The upgrade will not change the booking class in regards to earning.

the only upgrades i've ever seen that actually change the booking class for earning purposes are the occasional ones with IROPS or taking a bump where they'll rebook you into full Y from say Q or N etc.

25. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    We agree. The post I was quoting could have been read that using an SWU would relgate you to economy EQPs...it didn't address J to F upgrades.