Mega Credit Card Bonues - When to churn

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Traveling Momma, Apr 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Traveling Momma

Traveling Momma Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all -

I'm coming up on my first churn set for May 16th and wondered if any of the old timers can comment on when we're likely to see a Mega CC Bonus pop up? I'd like my first churn to incorporate a Mega Bonus in with the other 5 - 6 cards I do if possible.

What is the likelihood of us seeing a 75K or 100K Card Bonus offer in the next 3 months or so? I don't care about the spending requirements as I can likely meet whatever is required.

Thanks,

Blue.

iolaire and canucklehead like this.
  2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally I feel like the huge offers are much less frequent right now, assuming you are not talking hotel points...

I'd focus more on laddering your churn so you add to your existing points with specific programs, i.e. if you have the Sapphire Card and will transfer the UR points to United, then get the United card next (or vise-versus). Same with Delta and the Amex cards. And of course you can always add the SPG card which transfers to many programs.

3. Traveling Momma

Status Points:
    iolaire - got it. Thanks for the input. I've focused my point accumulation mainly on AA because of existing miles we had before starting churning. I'll keep focused on this as you suggest and then look to redeem.

As always, thank you for taking the time to respond. Your time and guidance is greatly appreciated!

iolaire likes this.
  4. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unless someone here has inside knowledge I don't think anyone can tell you when to expect the next big sign up bonus. As for current promotions AMEX is running the 50k bonus now on the business gold card which is worth considering, that is a pretty good bonus for that card. Due to the churnable nature of the US Airway card you may also want to consider getting that card canceling it after a few months and then waiting 6 months after you cancel and get it again. That will get you a decent chunk of AA miles once the programs merge.

iolaire likes this.
  5. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    So this is one case where I think the affiliate advertising revenue is pushing bloggers to act like they are excited what may not be the best offer. That gold card has been available via creditcards.com (another affiliate site) for most of the year with a low $1,000 minimum spend (i.e. see the second to the last paragraph of: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/mommy...dit-card-sign-up-bonuses-available-right-now/ or http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewf...er-for-american-express-premier-rewards-gold/ ). It may be gone, or it’s not visible to me now that I have the card…

Everyone is hyping up the card with “only” a $5,000 spend that is a full 5 times more than what has been the standard offer from another publisher for a few months…

So I'm wrong on this one, I just realized it’s a business card Amex Gold Business thats being promoted, so that may worth getting excited about since it allows you to stack your personal points with business card points.

Cdnblue likes this.
  6. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Impossible to say for sure, but the best advice is just keep your eyes open on your mailbox (in case you are targeted), on the forums like this one, and the blogs that talk about credit cards. Amex has been doing some limited time increased offers with some regularity, but impossible to know what will be around mid-May. Also check the Card Match tool at creditcards.com to see if you are targeted for something good there as the time gets closer.

iolaire and Cdnblue like this.
  7. Traveling Momma

Status Points:
    Deal Mommy, I'm all over it! I didn't know about checking creditcards.com for the Card Match tool. Thanks for this new tip. I'll put an RSS on that page for new info. By the way, I love your posts as I'm a mom too and can relate to activities you engage in when you travel with your children.

mommypoints likes this.
  8. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Follow the current advice for applying for Citi AA cards. I think MMS posted the most recent discussion of it. You can no longer apply for two cards in the same day. Apply for the first best personal card one day, then the 2nd best personal card on day 3 or 4. Wait 65? days and apply for the business card.

Then repeat in 18 months or so.

Since US Air and AA will be merging in the coming year or two, you can also apply for the Barclay's US Bank card which will likely be disappearing since at some point in the future these will become AA miles. If you can wait that long.

Cdnblue likes this.
  9. Traveling Momma

Status Points:
    One more related question. It will be 91 days as of May 17th from my very first app-o-rama. Do I really need to wait the full 91 days for my first Churn? My spending has been met on all cards and then some and I'm ready for the next 5-6 cards. My Fico score is 756. Should I churn now and include the 50k Amex deal?

Sent from my iPad using milepoint

10. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should wait. Don't be greedy! If they see that you have too many pulls on your credit history, they can deny you.

11. Traveling Momma

Status Points:
    Okay. Thanks for the input. I'm wondering why the CC companies will not see the credit pulls when I apply 91 days after my last pull vs. 75 days. Is the 91 day timeline a specific cutoff that drops hard pulls from your record. Or, is it tied to how far back the CC company considers hard pulls? Just curious what the 91 day figure actually represents.

12. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hard pulls don't drop off your record for two years

Cdnblue likes this.
  13. Traveling Momma

Status Points:
    Right. Thanks. So that brings me back to my questions above: Why does the community recommend 91 days between churns? I'm wondering what the logic is here and if makes sense? Just curious what the 91 day figure actually represents.

14. Traveling Momma

Status Points:
    And......my FICO Score just increased to 762. I'm guesing the 91 days is how long it takes for your credit score to "recover" from the 5 - 6 hard pulls that were done 91 days ago. Is this correct?

15. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Gold Member

Status Points:
    curiousgeorge and Cdnblue like this.
  16. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    some banks look at credti pulls in the last 90 days, some in the last 6 months, most dont sem to bother with ones older than that, by waiting 91 days you will have none in last 90 days and only some last 6 months, then another 91 days and you will have none in the last 90 days and only some in the last 6 months since the previous round will now be 182 days old, and so on and so on

Cdnblue likes this.
  17. Jett Rink
    Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Status Points:
    The likelihood exists already. Fer 'xample, the CC Visa. 85K points after spending $2,500 in 90 days. And, lots of goodies attached thereto for that particular card.

Rots of ruck applying.

:)

Jett Rink

Cdnblue likes this.
  18. Traveling Momma

Status Points:
    oneeyejack likes this.