Meetups - what and why?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by ranman1973, Apr 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ranman1973

ranman1973 Silver Member

Status Points:
    While I'm not a newbie, I have never attended a meetup. Curious to know about the meetups. What takes place? Are there speeches? Do you just mingle? Sit down dinner? How many people? What do you talk about?

Oh the questions.

aptraveler and Sweet Willie like this.
  2. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It depends on the meetup. Most are the mix and mingle type where folks will meet up for lunch or dinner and hang out. Many involve tours of the area. Some involve meeting airline/hotel execs or seminars about miles/points. They are all a great way to meet other flyers and put faces to the names you see here.

MP has a meetup section and you can check the threads to find out what each meetup involves. All events are open to everyone, but some may require an RSVP or a registration fee.

aptraveler and Sweet Willie like this.
  3. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always said I would never attends one of these things; but never say never. Basically, I am an introvert, a loner, and independent. But even I am considering going to a meetup in Charleston this year. It would be interesting to meet other Milepointers who think well enough of the area to make the trip to meetup. And if I turn out to be the oddball, at least I will still be vacationing in a part of the world that I truly enjoy.:)

4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    miles, points, credit cards, other topics (not always in that order & sometimes only the latter, depends on the group)
    what a good way to start a conversation !!:D
    I hope to make Charleston. Meeting locals at a Do is taking place is a great way to gain insight into the area.

I held a meetup in Seoul some years back, out of the 4 attendees, I sort of knew one through TOBB. It turned out to be a great group, we went all over, toured the DMZ, went to see other sights, dined at some great venues (street & restaurants).
    One of these folks I still see now on a regular basis, in fact we just had a non-MP dinner last month where we both took our significant others. The other two folks that attended I feel confident in saying that if we were to meet today, we'd share a beer and some stories like it was just yesterday that we were in Korea. Some great friendships can occur at Meetup's.

My suggestion if anyone is interested in Meetups is to attend a local drinks or lunch/dinner only event, cost to you from a time & money wise will be minimal and you can see if a meetup is something you'd enjoy (always remember that a meetup is like any social gathering, some folks you'll have more in common with/more to discuss than others).

And if there isn't a meetup in your area, plan one yourself, an example might be to grab a burger somewhere.

5. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I met Sweet Willie years ago. The nice thing about attending a get together is that you make good friends. SW recommended a great place for pizza in MKE when I was there with my son (heading home from a Green Bay football game). I returned the favor when he was in New York, as we went to a great pizza place in Brooklyn.

It's nice to have friends that you can lean on when necessary (for travel information). :cool:

6. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a bit new and did the NYC meetup which was during the travel show weekend so worked out nice. We met for drinks and it was fantastic to talk miles, points, travel, strategy with people who got it. Here at home I have a hobby no one understands, at the meetup everyone got it. If you are on Milepoint and are extra/introvert you have a common passion and the meetups let you share and meet interesting people

7. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    You have really put your finger on it here.

8. aptraveler

aptraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me, meet ups are opportunities for you not only to meet likeminded people with whom you may talk and share your insight experiences on something we are all passionate about, travel! Plus is true, you may even end up making good friendships, and besides when it comes to travel or travel related issues everyone has a great story to share or good advice to give. So, one can not only enjoy a meet up but can even learn new things at it. Btw, some of my friends also do NOT understand my passion for planes and travels. So simply said, I agree with everyone's reasons for attending a meet up!

9. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another good thing is that you're able to access the expertise of various members. I'm a United (Star Alliance) flyer. When I was booking my AA miles to fly CX on an award ticket, I leaned on my knowledgeable friend magic111 (RIP), who was an expert in this area. Newbees that don't have long time friends, can lean on board members of a particular forum to help and advise them. That's certainly the spirit of these boards. :cool: