Medallion Upgrades Post 3/1

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by alpinesoccer, Mar 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. alpinesoccer
    Original Member

alpinesoccer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone experienced a change in their Complimentary Medallion Upgrades?
    Has anyone witnessed a drop in competition from less Medallion Members?

2. Frozentech
    Original Member

Frozentech Silver Member

Status Points:
    No idea. Flew on 3/1 ANC->SLC->LAX->ATL->ABE. I upgraded at the DM window on the ANC-SLC and SLC-LAX legs, was upgraded when I arrived at the gate ( to 6D biz elite lie flat on a 777 ) for LAX-ATL, and rode a CRJ200 from ATL-ABE. Too early to tell for me at this point, ask in a month or so.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am hoping to find out tomorrow. My flight is typically pretty full, though tomorrows looks a bit lighter.
    Unfortunately, I just got into the high degree of travel back in July 2010, had split some time across a couple of airlines - but since focussed on Delta... and as a result, am Silver. I've already re-qualified for Silver for next year, but it will be late April before I hit Gold (and Early August for Plat).

Gargoyle likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    My upgrades for today and Saturday cleared at the usual window and the post-window seating charts looked as I expected, so based on a sample of two, I don't see a difference so far.

Gargoyle likes this.
  5. If anything it should get easier now that there are some who lost status on 3/1. That said, I have received UG's on every flt so far this year save one and nearly all are transcons. And all the UG's have been at the T-6 window (DM) except one. Guess I'm saying haven't seen any change at all.

Gargoyle likes this.
  6. Always Be Flying
    Original Member

Always Be Flying Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have noticed (as someone whose status went away a few days ago) that the first couple months of the year i had very good (75% or so) upgrade success on flights that don't involve ATL. I was nearly at zero on anything through ATL.

For the DM's out there, are you close to 100% overall? My travel is ramping back up heavily and I am still deciding on ST vs. *A - upgrades are very important in the deciision. Thanks for the help.

Gargoyle likes this.
  7. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was looking at several flights and I have noticed more Upgrade Availables! Hopefully it is a good sign

8. samonyc
    Original Member

samonyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    My first flight since 3/1 is tonight at 7:15, JFK-SFO. With 11 open J seats I thought my upgrade was likely, but as of now I'm 11 of 26 on the waiting list. I'm a GM on a T fare, so there must be a ton of FOs behind me. Right now I'm considering SDC to the 5:15 just to get to SF in time for a late dinner.

Doesn't seem like there's a great reduction in Medallions in the New York market, and I'm kind of wishing I'd gone for PM last year. My return flight on Monday shows no J availability, which surprises me because I've done better on the SFO-JFK legs since 2009.

Update: I stayed on the 7:15 flight and got lucky. At boarding, I was 10th for 11 seats, with 29 people after me. There is definitely no shortage of FOs after 3/1. As expected, I did not get an upgrade on the return flight, but it was close.

Gargoyle and Cholula like this.
  9. Hit on the first segment for tomorrow BIL-MSP, a lowly FO upgrade that cleared midday today.

Gargoyle and Cholula like this.
  10. monitor
    Original Member

monitor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I cannot contribute to the topic at hand since I have not flown since March 1, but:
    Not close to 100%. I am at 100% now, for the last two years have only missed once, and that was in an IROPs situation at ATL. All of the UGs were at the window and I can count on the fingers of one hand the times that I went to the gate lottery. I do have a reserve Amex and do not know if that makes much difference. The other caveat is that I am a short haul business flyer out of NYC and South Florida and use ATL as little as I can.

11. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    That flight I had on 3/4 (MCO-MSP) did see an upgrade, but it was early afternoon that day when I found out. I'm not complaining, it was a good flight, legroom, decent dinner and complementary beer. Hard to go wrong with that!
    - I haven't seen a lot of upgrades on this route but anticipate that changing quite a bit once I hit gold, based on the wave of folks with status I have seen over the past few months.

I fly out again on 3/7 and it's in that mid to later afternoon time, well outside of the "standard" business flight times - so I am anticipating another upgrade then. Gotta be optimistic [​IMG]

12. theYipster
    Original Member

theYipster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Upgraded on my first flight since making silver. 11:20am from JFK to ATL. Upgraded at the gate (was first on a list of three with two seats available, according to the video boards.) Original fare was U. Not a bad start to my Delta elite experience, especially since the 757 I'm on is configured for international travel. (My B/E seat is massaging my back as I type this.)

Not holding out too much hope for my second leg to Denver this afternoon, but we'll see. Looking forward to hitting gold in April.

goodandclassy and DeltaExpert like this.
  13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are very lucky, not only on the upgrade for this route but also on the aircraft.

14. theYipster
    Original Member

theYipster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't know if it's just my history on the route, but in my experience getting an international aircraft for JFK-ATL is common. Lots of ferrying between the two airports. On my last jaunt down to Atlanta in late January, I flew an A330 with forty people on it. Shame I wasn't elite on DL then. They were selling B/E at the gate to anyone with a coach fare down to L.

15. BAppelt
    Original Member

BAppelt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm 3 for 4 so far since 3/1. Made cvg to dtw, alb to atl, atl to cvg, missed dtw to cvg

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    ATL - HPN this coming weekend, cleared at the window. Scored 1 of 9 total F seats on a barbie jet (CRJ-700)

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm using SWU but I have noticed eligible booking classes are becoming more expensive. It could be seasonal but I do not remember that happening last March.

18. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fuel costs are also going up in a way they did not last March.

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, but most of the increase I suspect is improved loads. Could well be mostly fuel, I don't know.

20. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, after a really nice break from business travel I "dove" into it again. 1/1 - cleared at the gate. I should probably just quit for the year and preserve my perfect record.[​IMG]

DonV.Smith likes this.
  21. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't score well on the upgrades this week, after all... But I did drop into the top few on the list (after FC was full). Quick to board, plus a seat close to the door, will at least settled - and departing /looking for my car - pretty quick.

Status upgrade coming in late April / early May. I may have to contact Delta and see if they would give me a complimentary bump up - knowing I'm putting the miles in.

22. I'm seeing a lot of DM tags on bags on my flights. May be the change to the metal tag vs the ugly "carolina blue" plastic ones. On a recent flight after March 1st where the FA announced there were 8 DM's on board, all eight where in the front and and all eight had the tags on their bags. I'm not so sure there are fewer DM's.

I've missed one upgrade this year out of 30+ segments so far. The one missed was LAS-ATL when first was 100% full of paid first pax. ( A red eye flight to NYC had canceled the night before and only a few seats had not been sold in first coming into the gate) I was trying to use a SWU and was number one on the list with no one clearing at the gate.

Gargoyle likes this.
  23. theYipster
    Original Member

theYipster Silver Member

Status Points:
    On the second part of my trip: DEN -> SLC -> SEA, I was upgraded from SLC -> SEA. The upgrade cleared at the window. So far I'm batting .500 (2 for 4) as Silver post 3/1.

Gargoyle and DonV.Smith like this.
  24. samonyc
    Original Member

samonyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    My upgrade for LGA-DTW on Monday surprisingly cleared at the GM window today. That makes me 4/6 for eligible segments so far. I'm on track to get 50% upgrades for this year, which would satisfy me, and I think it could be 66% or even 75% if my luck on those routes matches past experience (LGA-ORD, for example).

Gargoyle likes this.
  25. monitor
    Original Member

monitor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wednesday morning MIA-DCA cleared for both of us but the 730PM LGA Shuttle on Thursday did not. This looks like a wait for the gate but considering the length of that flight and the high degree of comfort in the back of those E75s, it does not make much of a difference.

We both are still 100% for 2011.

Gargoyle and DonV.Smith like this.