Medallion status not worth much anymore

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by marchi, Mar 10, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. marchi

marchi Active Member

Status Points:
    Delta is dumping on its medallion members. As a Diamond member this year, I have been 1) unable to use my regional upgrade certificates on flights between Seattle and Atlanta - making them virtually useless (if I can only use them on short or unpopular route flights) and 2) no more upgrades - I was number 18 on the list yesterday with silvers, golds and platinums all ahead of me, because of the new upgrade policy based on price of the ticket. I feel that Delta has engaged in Bait and Switch - i.e. offering benefits to elite members, but then not making them available.

traveller99, uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only non-Diamonds ahead of you for the upgrade would be on Y fares. Seems unlikely there are 17 of those on a flight but it could happen.

Other than that the company is delivering exactly on what it advertises.

Gargoyle, redtailshark and WilliamQ like this.
  3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless those silvers, golds, and plats were on full fares had used instruments, or had purchased first fares...

Upgrade priority is unchanged to the best of my knowledge.

4. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    And Diamonds will now get to board with Business / First (PREM) passengers regardless of your travelling class :)

5. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, exactly...what's the problem? I don't see bait and switch. Years ago, Jeff promised you that DL SM would be:

[​IMG]mejor en su clase[​IMG]

and it certainly is... look at the hard metrics for F inventory. DL claims paid F occupancy is over 40% and if their recently-stated goal of 70% of revenue-sold F inventory is achieved, then there is no other way to describe the situation because that metric is by miles best in class. It's really too bad you don't see that.

BamaGirl likes this.
  6. Darth Chocolate

Darth Chocolate Member

Status Points:
    I was upgraded on 3 of 4 segments in February, IAH-ATL-BUF-DTW-IAH. Only IAH-ATL was a miss, and then by only one spot.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    What new upgrade policy based on the price of the ticket?

What was your fare class? Was it an award ticket? What was the route, day of week, and time of day? Did you have a companion on the same PNR? How many people were below you on the upgrade list?

8. AMPfromBNA

AMPfromBNA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Colleagues are upset today... They said the new "Comfort+" is not free for GMs anymore (Econ Comfort was previously free though), until 72 hours. Was this an official announcement, or just something they sneaked in? I may have missed it. As a DM, I'm not sure whether this is good or bad.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  9. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    it was an official announcement when they announced C+ - basically a slight upgrade over old EC but with more stringent access. As a DM - you currently benefit from better access (if you book last minute) but if you give out GM they get reduced access to a slightly better product, and if you drop in the future or Delta ramps up the monetization, it may encroach on your benefits.

10. Darth Chocolate

Darth Chocolate Member

Status Points:
    It is good. If you purchase any economy fare except "E", you can choose the C+ seat for free and still be eligible for upgrade. Let the system assign a seat, then go and choose C+.

11. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is good if you are a Gold Medallion elite status level member who travels internationally, as the same policy now applies to international flights as well as domestic flights.

Before the policy change, there was no way for Gold Medallion members to upgrade to Economy Comfort seats internationally for free — although those seats were discounted.

It is not so good if travel is primarily domestic, as a Gold Medallion member used to be able to upgrade to Economy Comfort for free at any time. Now, a complimentary upgrade to Comfort+ can only occur within 72 hours of the flight.

WilliamQ likes this.
  12. Darth Chocolate

Darth Chocolate Member

Status Points:
    Got e-mail notification yesterday (28 Mar) that I was automatically upgraded for both flights on 3 Apr, with a connection through ATL. Interesting since this is a holiday weekend.

I guess the system works. However, YMMV.