Medallion Qualification Miles: The Least Expensive Ways to Earn Them

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Canarsie, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whether you are just shy of earning enough Medallion Qualification Miles for elite Medallion status for next year or need thousands of Medallion Qualification Miles and you are attempting to save money either way, this is the definitive thread for you.

Watch this thread to keep up-to-date on ways to earn Medallion Qualification Miles as inexpensively as possible, as fellow milepoint.com post tips, tricks, promotions and offers to assist you in achieving the desired Medallion elite status level as soon as possible.

2. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. singtx
    Original Member

singtx Silver Member

Status Points:
    I took advantage of this widely known and discussed promo last year, so not eligible this year, but my wife and parents are...

here is the link

Register for your 50% Mileage Bonus
    EARN MORE BY TRANSFERRING MEMBERSHIP
    REWARDS POINTS INTO YOUR SKYMILES ACCOUNT.

Once you register, you'll earn a 50% mileage bonus the first time you ever transfer Membership Rewards® points into your Delta SkyMiles® account. Offer good for first-time only transfers now through
    May 31, 2011. First register, then transfer points.
    And if you transfer 50,000 points or more, you'll also receive 25,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs). That's enough to give you Medallion status and benefits like waived baggage fees, unlimited upgrades, preferred seating, and more.
    Not a SkyMiles member? Enroll now and be sure to come back to this page to register for your opportunity to earn a 50% mileage bonus and Medallion status.

joesmoe likes this.
  4. CIPAS
    Original Member

CIPAS Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah... I agree with Amex MR.

5. Delta Points
    Original Member

Delta Points Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is what I would love to be schooled on. I have $600 in DELTA cash and need a TON of MQM's. I am looking at a trip from ORD-ATL-SYD as that would net about 20k in MQM but would have to YIKES fly coach and for a 24hr trip that is a long way "back there"!

I plan to wait for 2 or 3x MQM deals at the end of the year.

6. shane
    Original Member

shane Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Platinum Delta AMEX is a cheap ($150 annual fee) of earning 10K or 20K MQMs if you're capable of spending $25,000 or $50,000 within a calendar year.

If you're capable of spending $60,000 a year, you can get up to 30K MQMs with the AMEX Delta Reserve card. The fee is a lot higher ($450) but comes with SkyClub membership and higher priority medallion upgrades.

7. When I became a platinum medallion, my welcome packet included this link which offers 35k RDM and 10k MQM on $1k spend:
    http://www201.americanexpress.com/sbsapp/FMACServlet?request_type=alternateChannels&lpid=325

It still appears valid.

Shortly after I applied, activated the card, and used it once, I logged into the Delta.com site and immediately was presented with an offer for the Delta platinum card including "up to 40k RDM, 15k MQM, and $100 cash back." I captured a screen shot and contacted Delta and Amex. Eventually, Amex agreed to upgrade my offer to the even better offer on $1k spend. Haven't finished the latest statement to see how it all posts but the conversation is well documented. This same 40k/15k/$100 offer was available late 2010 as well so keep an eye out for it.

Fantastic... Now, if only I'd captured that screen shot from my wife's profile. I was presented with it on the same day but didn't get the screenshot so Amex isn't helping me there.

One last aside, after contacting Amex on my behalf, Delta informed me that Amex has a policy of upgrading offers that have improved on accounts that are 90 days old or less.

8. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have one. You don't get a SkyClub membership, but you do get access to SkyClubs. I learned this lesson the hard way last year in Philly. The SkyClub was closed for renovations and SkyClub members had access to the USAir lounge but Delta Reserve Card members did not as they were not considered SkyClub members.

joesmoe and shane like this.
  9. shane
    Original Member

shane Silver Member

Status Points:
    Excellent point. I should have chosen my words more carefully.

The access for SkyClub members vs. Delta Reserve Cardholders can be viewed here:

http://www.delta.com/traveling_chec...n/delta_sky_club/sky_club_locations/index.jsp

10. psp007

psp007 Active Member

Status Points:
    Do any good MR pop up april - to june? will be a couple thousand short and want to get it done as soon as possible. Hub city of DTW.

11. tin509

tin509 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I too have the Delta Platinum Amex. I book all company travel on it and the extra 20,000 MQMs(plus any rollover MQMs from previous yr) really help my journey to maintaining Platinum status. I love it.

12. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    joesmoe likes this.
  13. Italy98
    Original Member

Italy98 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Will have to continue looking for cheap airfares ex JAX/MCO & TPA as GNV is +/- $200 and up compared to JAX/MCO & TPA. The trade-off is we can arrive at GNV (30 minutes from home) 40 min before departure and make our flight without a problem, which is not possible at the other three airports.

Delta's 4 city offer last year was a good way to rack up MQM, as was the MQMs for donations to three ATL charitable organizations. Would be nice if DL repeated these again this year, however, . . .

14. theforester

theforester Active Member

Status Points:
    I am not feeling the love for another four city offer or the donations as a way to increase MQM right now. Hopefully, DL will reward the faithful soon.

15. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Best continually available trick I know is FareCompare. There is a page here which I am not certain is available from their home page. Sorting by PPM (price per mile) is very useful as is the comprehensive set of filters available.

travelingmore likes this.
  16. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't assume that there will be DMQM promos later this year. With capacity cuts, if business picks up it might not be necessary. Of course, a lot depends on how the UA/CO merger evolves and whether many of their elites migrate to DL.