Mechanical cancellation; reroute on DL; who pays for bags?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by thegrailer, Jul 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    This came up today after BWI-ORD [onward to SBN] was cancelled for mechanical reasons. The best option was a DL flight: BWI-DTW-SBN and UA was willing to do this but there would have been an additional $135 in baggage fees. There were no fees on UA as a 1K.

Who is responsible for those fees? Will UA reimburse the cost? Get the fees waived? The UA GAs were no help at all and the 1K line had way too looooong of a hold time.

Thanks

2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think you should be responsible for those fees. I'd stay on hold with the 1K line for as long as it takes, but if you can't get through to them, then pay the fees yourself and ask for some sort of credit after the fact.

thegrailer likes this.
  3. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was actually for my G/F and in the interim while waiting for the 1K line, the DL boarded and left. She was in no mood to pay the $$ and didn't want to deal with getting reimbursed. She'll take a later UA flight now

Still leaves the question though: Is there a UA policy on this? Something different/better for 1Ks (see e.g., hotel policy on irrops)

Cheers -

4. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Update: G/F ended up on having to wait for the next DL flight. Nothing on UA. The 1K desk said basically that since you're on DL now, too bad. Submit the baggage receipt to customer relations and see what happens. In other words, UA had A/C issues and now, not only are you delayed, but you have to pay more - unless and until UA provides reimbursement [most likely via a voucher? For what turned out to be $60 - what use is that???]

Not a good showing UA :mad:

5. scott6067
    Original Member

scott6067 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If one is moved onflights fromthe gate area, then the operating airline should move the bags to the other airline.

6. dgreen12
    Original Member

dgreen12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's good in theory, but in practice (and on IROPS going in the other direction, DL to UA), the bag was returned to me by DL and I had to pay UA at checkin for the bag (AS elite, bag fee waived on DL but not on UA).

Wasn't worth the hassle of trying to get reimbursed by DL. Chalked it up to "stuff happens".

7. 7Continents
    Original Member

7Continents Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not to start a ruckus but does anyone see any logic in this: You are elite on UA, you fly UA and reap the benefits. If there is a problem, you take the next thing UA can offer you on its own alliance metal and you keep your benefits. If UA is willing to reroute you on another carrier, you now have an extra choice but why would you expect to keep your UA elite benefits on a non alliance carrier? Do you think DL wants to hear that you're a UA elite and since UA is paying your fare they should honor your elite status? I honestly don't see why DL should wave the baggage fees, nor why UA should be expected to cover them. (Although it would have been an impressive gesture !)

8. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    It really depends on how good of a gate agent and ground staff at a particular station is. A month ago, I had my UA flight cancelled, and rerouted on DL, but the gate agent called down to the ground crew and had them re-tag the bag with my new itenerary, and my bag arrived with my DL flight right after I cleared Canadian customs.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  9. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed it does depend upon the station and upon the individual agent(s) in question.