Meals on Evening Flight That Departs at 8:30

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Sean Colahan, Mar 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good morning folks,

I just got upgraded on a Thursday night CLT-SLC flight that departs Charlotte at 8:30 pm. Since its a 4+ hour flight I was hoping for dinner to be served, though on the reservation in the website it shows as refreshments. I know they say dinner served until 8pm, but I have had flights to SFO and LAX depart after 8pm that have had a full dinner service. Has anyone been on this CLT-SLC flight know (or a similar departing flight time) and know if dinner will be in fact served and that is just some automated line in the reservation system because of the time showing on the departure?

DeacFlyer1 likes this.
  2. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been on this flight (449, right?) twice in the last six months, and my wife has been on it once, and a full meal was served each time. My wife's flight was even delayed 1.5 hours due to a late arriving aircraft from EWR, and they didn't get into the air until after 10pm, and they still served a full dinner.

I believe this is the case for any flight from CLT and PHL that departs in the 8-9pm hour to western destinations that would normally have meal service at other times in the day. I say the 8-9pm hour, because I'm not aware of any transcons that leave CLT or PHL after 9pm, with the exception of the occasional late night (10:30pm ish) flight to PHX, which I'm assuming doesn't have a full dinner (but maybe I'm wrong).

Sean Colahan likes this.
  3. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Congrats on the upgrade.

Yes you should receive a meal. Flights over 3.5hours leaving clt and phl receive meals, even after 8:30pm.

My thought is a lot of passengers connecting would be flying through a meal window and the incremental cost of keeping catering open at a hub with transatlantic flights isn't great.

I only wish they would do the same for the dca flights. I would purposefully chose a phl or clt routing over dca for the meals if I get upgraded.

ballardFlyer and Sean Colahan like this.
  4. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is the flight I am referencing. Good to know there will be dinner.