Meal Service Priority?

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by Explore, May 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, I didn't see the answer to this in the Help Guide.

On 2+-hour transborder flights in J, is meal choice front-to-back? Are F-side seats roughly equivalent to A-side seats in priority?

Thanks.....

2. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't answer your specific question, but I took a flight from LHR-YEG last week, got upgraded, and noticed that the FA seemed to take dinner orders in a random sequence. I was in 7A and got asked my choice before some others sitting in front of me. I watched the other side and she moved around in a non-linear sequence to take orders. Clearly as time went on the choices became more limited. No worry for me, as I got my choice. Would have been happy with most of the others, too, but I did enjoy the rack of lamb. :)

Bottom line: there did seem to be a pecking order.

3. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rack of Lamb? I have yet to see a rack on the menu inflight, my favorite! Did have delicious reindeer steak once in BC.

YULtide likes this.
  4. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    In flight?

5. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No 100% definite order for meal orders, usually front to back though. And SE first.

Lamb is very good but sadly not very often available in J.

YULtide likes this.
  6. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had it NRT to YYZ. The first time I had a western main course instead of the Japanese Kaiseki.

Lamb was cooked perfect, medium rare

YULtide likes this.
  7. maradori
    Original Member

maradori Silver Member

Status Points:
    SE's should always be first. I think I remember reading that it's anything goes after that (although a few/some/many service directors will ask E's after). I think having ML*1 might affect your priority, but I'm not sure about the specifics ...

YULtide likes this.
  8. 2MM_Guy
    Original Member

2MM_Guy Gold Member

Status Points:
    ML*1 has been disappearing from the Transborder flights.....:mad:

YULtide likes this.
  9. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been in every permutation under the sun.
    • SE first because they were seated in row 1 and orders done front to back
    • SE first because they were seated in row 4 and orders done back to front
    • SE last because they were seated in row 1 and orders done back to front
    • SE last because they were seated in row 4 and orders done front to back
    • SE first because they were seated in row 2 and SE orders taken first
    • SE first because they were seated in row 2 with ML*1 and SE orders taken first
    • SE last because they were seated in row 2 with ML*1 and ML*1 was adhered to
    • SE orders taken first and on the ground while all others taken in the air
    • SE (well known to the flight crew) offered a crew meal as a change of pace "...since I see you almost every week and you must be getting bored of this menu." (this was before the monthly rotation.
    • SE first because they were SE (seated in row 4), only to have the meals distributed front to back, the FA miscount the # of available meals and have to tell you that she doesn't have your choice after everyone else on the plane has been served. None of the others were interesting so I ordered a scotch....was provided with a triple. If AC had better on board scotch I probably would have been happier as I quietly slipped into intoxication.
    And it happens on all airlines. I was in 1A on a LH 388. Watched takeoff, played with the IFE, watched as everyone else (F cabin was 8/8) had their meals ordered, first course delivered, second course delivered and I still hadn't been approached to order. The in-charge was most apologetic, but I now realize that if this can happen to me on LH, in First and on their flagship aircraft...well...anything can happen in AC J.

mevlannen, 2MM_Guy and YULtide like this.
  10. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    I
    find that if the FA doesn't do front to back, and follows SE's first, then they follow with E's then others after that... You can always tell who are the non-status Aeroplan redeemers or those on an employee pass, and from my experience they do get asked last.

11. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    But as with anything YMMV

12. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had lamb flying ZRH-YYZ a year or two ago. Perfectly medium rare and quite delicious.

13. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well ML*1 should not be an issue on domestic or transborder flights, because catering is done up to 120% and the remainder are sold to Y class as dog food :p

YULtide likes this.
  14. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got ML*1 on a YYC-YYZ flight a couple of weeks ago and was only asked for my choice at the end. So much for that theory.

15. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I didnt say ML*1 wont get served last...... Statistically speaking....... if they catered 120%, so its probably like 60/60% for two options..... There is still a 40% chance of you getting an undesired option...... especially true if one particular food sounds tasty and another sounds crappy (ie. meat dish vs pasta).

YULtide likes this.
  16. 2MM_Guy
    Original Member

2MM_Guy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was told that no special meals were loaded. Don't they check people's profiles?

17. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    The rationale for taking meal orders for ML*1 passengers last was in case there were insufficient meals, the ML*1 person would not get a meal. Given that as you say upthread catering is done to 120% (I presume you mean 120% of full J not pre-booked J), then there is no valid reason for issuing ML*1's and even if they do, there is no valid reason for relegating the ML*1 person (especially SE's who are supposed to get first choice) to the end.

2MM_Guy likes this.
  18. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But that was before when Canada/Transborder medium and long haul J meals were sold as dog food in Y class......Since they started selling the main courses to Y class, they have stocked to 120% knowing that there will be several that may be interested to purchase it (if not served in J). In those instances, as I understand ML*1 means last to get a choice.......

And ML*1 without meal is still relevant on short hauls and international flights where meals are catered to the number of passengers + a possible buffer.

How ML*1 + SE is interpreted, depends on the crew..... its almost like asking me for an observation on how the menu orders are taken (somewhat randomly inconsistent at times).............. some take SE as a precedence..... some follow the fact that ML*1 means last minute therefore must be served last or not served (if there's insufficient food available).

YULtide likes this.
  19. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lamb on LHR-YYZ yesterday! The first time I took the morning flight from London, and the lamb was a fabulous lunch before we arrived.

YULtide likes this.
  20. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    To be perfectly frank, once they've brought me my two shots of Scotch in a cup of black coffee, **anything** tastes just fine, and I cannot care a whit whether I am served first, last, or end up dining standing-up in the galley with the front-end crew (many of whom are old friends from years back, anyway).

Yours thoughtfully, the woman who's sipping that lovely drink while blanket-snuggled in seat 1C.