Meal orders taken via ipad today

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by ryandc99, Dec 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ryandc99
    Original Member

ryandc99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Currently sitting on DL 2384 SLC-DCA waiting to take off. The FA just came around and took everyone's meal and drink orders on an iPad and punched it in. Didn't get a glance at the interface but I will ask about it once we are airborne.

Anyone else seen this?

iolaire, NYBanker, Chimpy and 3 others like this.
  2. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't seen it, but I have heard of an app you can download to do that.

3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    What I would like is if they asked your meal preference at check-in, to increase the chance you get your first choice.

Davescj and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since you have to order special meals 24 (?) hrs prior to departure, how late could they adjust the mix of meals they schedule and load for a particular aircraft? It would seem there is an opportunity for improvement.

Chimpy likes this.
  5. ryandc99
    Original Member

ryandc99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was wondering if it ran out if it would rank the orders based on status. Doesn't appear that that's happened.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  6. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    My thought was that they are already making hundreds of these meals so the information would be used to adjust the number of each option loaded onto any particular flight even within the 24 h check-in window. Special meals are a special case, you might have one vegan or ten vegans or no vegans on a given plane. But when the airline is serving chicken or pasta on all of its flights that day (or week), the real issue is not making sure they prepare enough but making sure that the right number are loaded onto each flight. Even so, people might change their minds or do a SDC, so the airlines would probably have to say "no guarantee" but it would reduce the chance that two chicken meals are loaded when ten people want one.

Davescj likes this.
  7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. Good use of technology. It would be nice if you pre-select...sort of like book-the-cook...except you are stuck on Delta.

DeltaExpert and ryandc99 like this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to know more about what the iPad actually adds over a piece of paper before I'd call it good use of technology.

How does Delta prioritize meal selections? Does the iPad ensure a certain status- and fare-based prioritization algorithm? Or is it merely a fancy/fashionable notepad?

Titans26, Scottrick and hulagrrl210 like this.
  9. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess I did climb up the ladder of inference a bit.

Thinking about it further, 50/50 says the FA simply takes the iPad to the galley then writes the orders on a piece of paper.

10. Flyer
    Original Member

Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are you guys sure it wasn't just the FAs personal iPad?

DeltaExpert likes this.
  11. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    Using and iPad for meal orders would give them data on the popularity of meals. I encourage most uses of technology and it could make jobs easier and more accurate. Plus, it's a single tool they could use for things other than just taking meal orders.

12. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    If they put a protective screen on top they could also use it as a serving tray for drinks so they can remember passengers names as they serve them.

I'm not really sure how it makes their job easier or more accurate than writing with a pencil. I am also not sure about how it gives them data on popularity that they wouldn't otherwise have, but an iPad would make it easier to collect that data routinely rather than copying it from the FAs notes after landing.

13. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah... That's pretty much what I meant.

I'd love to be greeted with "good afternoon, Miss B, would you like you usual rum and coke zero before take off?"

And the protective cases exist and definitely could come in handy. One of my favorite bars here uses them as their menu is on iPad and they carry drinks on them as well. Its nearly 2012, I'm all about embracing technology.

On flights with wifi, they could even look things up for passengers if needed. Anything from sports scores to wether and traffic at their destination. We usually hear the weather for the flight destination but people may be connecting. Its just a thought that a lot of different things could come from them if they wanted to get creative.

Davescj likes this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And there's even a People Magazine app available for FA IFE purposes :D

15. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think asking at check-in is 100% viable - consider connecting pax who can technically check in for connections in excess of 24 hours. So CDG-ATL-SLC pax get at least an 8 hour jump on ATL O/D pax. They'd have to account for greater than 24 hours for catering loads in this case.

Doable, I suppose, but would they?

16. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the meal pre-order is a GREAT idea. Rather than guess the "usual" ratio of meals, this could easily allow a more balanced preparation. And then just board a couple extra meals as just in case. I also like the idea of pre-ordering the drink. It would make a great deal of sense.

Titans26 likes this.