Meal or no meal?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by chef4u, Jun 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flying HNL-ORD, which is an 8+ hour flight. Is there a meal in Y, or will I have to purchase it?

Flyer1976 and jbcarioca like this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    No meal service in Y. You can buy on board or bring something with you.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. TRYING2BPLAT

TRYING2BPLAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    wow!!!, that's a long trip with no food! time to BYOF and tons of it specially if you are not EXP.

4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a long flight and what's sad they serve a meal on the Guam to Honolulu route on United but not the Honolulu to Chicago portion (same flight number/aircraft).

5. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    Guess I'll be buying a thing or two at HNL for the trip. Makes me wish I was flying to Europe or Asia instead. I can understand a 4-5 hr trip with no meal service, but 8 hrs + ? REALLY?

Any takeout recommendations at HNL?

jetsetboy likes this.
  6. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    For the meal in coach?

Flyer1976 likes this.
  7. Flag_November
    Original Member

Flag_November Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hawaii is considered domestic (well, actually, it is domestic) and with few exceptions meals are not served on AA on domestic flights. I think some of the transcons have meals, but since I live in the middle I don't fly those, so don't hold me to it.

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As mentioned above, AA is not alone on this front. It's a long flight without food but if you come prepared it's not too bad. Plus you generally can get a better meal than what you would have gotten as a free Y meal if you plan ahead. ;)

Lahaina Chicken Company has a location near the AA gates in HNL. Fast food locations like Burger King, Samurai Sushi, CPK, and Quiznos are also available. There are also a few sit down restaurants that you might be able to grab a bite to go at like the Dewar's Clubhouse, Jose Cuervo Tequileria, or Kona Brewing Company.

Not sure about the food quality of most of those places though. I am in HNL often but usually get to eat on the plane, so haven't purchased in the terminal.

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sadly AA transcons don't have meals in Y. Unless you're paying for it. ;)

10. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    REALLY? Yes!

How do most pax select carrier in the US. They go to an aggregation website (expedia, orbitz, etc), search for a route and dates, then sort by fare.

Customers have trained carriers how to behave in the US.

Hawaii is a leisure market...with little business travel to add buoyancy to the math. Believe it or not, that same rule (of limited service) applies for most AsiaPac carriers offering service to HNL. Whereas LAX-NRT on JL is quite lavish, their NRT-HNL service is much more modest. Think: Lie flat J vs a more traditional recliner.

John777 likes this.
  11. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    No one has mentioned Hawaiian Airlines on this thread, which is understandable since it is on the AA forum and is also about ORD where I don't believe HA flies.

However, it may be worth noting that HA continues to serve coach meals free on its domestic flights to and from the mainland, which now go to both coasts. It is the outlier in domestic food service among the U.S. carriers, I guess, and has three categorites of meals: "complimentary," "available for purchase," both in Coach, and "First Class."

My understanding is the free coach meals are nothing to write home about (just as well since if you were on your way home to the mainland you'd probably get there before the letter anyway, hehheh). But at least they still exist. http://www.hawaiianair.com/services/in-flight-dining

12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Seth did a blog post on the inaugural JFK-HNL flight and has all the free Y meals plus buy on board reviewed: LINK.

13. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Especially since on a trip to Europe or Asia, you get fed twice. However many if not most would rather the airlines forgo the food than raise prices. Bright side is eating food that you really want to eat instead of hoping the airline food isn't dry or inedible.

14. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    The cost of food in "Y" is negligible based on the quality and quantity of food being served IMHO. I'd rather add $5-10 dollars to the fare, rather than deal with onboard purchases.

15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But the majority of leisure travelers to Hawaii absolutely would not. ;)

jetsetboy likes this.
  16. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    And with the number of kids it would be tough to effectively cater that many chicken nuggets. :)

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

17. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    And more importantly would not know they were making that choice, only that one carrier was cheaper.