Me and Tango don't get along

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by tomh009, Jan 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The proliferation of Tango fares on international routes is proving to be a major hassle for me. With a corporate travel policy requiring lowest fares, this means a lot of extra gymnastics to get booked into T+ (and eligible for eUpgrades, and with full mileage credit).

T+ isn't terribly expensive on YYZ-NRT but the presence of the T fares means I can't select it on our travel system, unless there is no T fare available for the flight. Ugh. This game just got to be a lot less fun. Again. :(

canucklehead and 2MM_Guy like this.
  2. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    several of us have mentioned this to ACTopTier during the YYZ MiniDO........... especially in this cost cutting and accountability era where $$$ folks are zeroing in expenses and making changes to the corporate travel policy to ensure we purchase the cheapest travels.

very hard to have loyalty to one airline or its full product if one's travel policy expects the lowest fares.

YULtide likes this.
  3. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    What was their reply, or position?

It wasn't the end of the world when the difference was 30-60$, but now even on a short haul domestic flight Tango+ is often 100$ more than Tango. I rarely fly outside of north america, so I don't feel your international pain -- but I can only imagine.

4. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Supply, demand and price sensitivity........ Economics 101...........

At a load factor of 80+% it shows there is demand for their seats, despite the prices......

YULtide likes this.
  5. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    On YYZ-NRT, the difference between Tango and lowest Tango+ is only $50 each way, but our system does not give me any way to choose T+. I'd happily (well, maybe not happily ...) pay the $50 personally to be eligible for upgrades and full mileage credit but I don't see any way of doing that.

6. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    that sucks!

7. once you've completed your T booking call AC and tell them you want to change the fare bucket to T+.Essentially you have 24 to 48 hours to change any booking w/o change fees.

8. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given the reference to "system" it is probably a travel agent booking- in which case AC won't change it and will refer the client back to the agency.

9. Same deal with the TA.

10. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    OP's corporate travel booking would probably say "computer says no".

i have also found that the discount codes often now only apply to T fares...recent YVR/YYZ to HKG code...big thumbs down...although the T fare looks a lot like the old T+ fare but now the T+ fare is more!!

will be hard for some to get status now with T fares and corporate policies to book lowest fares.

11. If you can talk to a live TA any flight can be changed within the 24 hour window and still remain a TA booked flight.

canucklehead likes this.
  12. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's it. If I book/change through the corporate TA, it gets charged to the company, and then I'll be violating the travel policy (don't want to do that).

I've used the 24H option ... in this case to cancel my original Tango flight so I could rebook it in Tango+!

What I really want is a way to up myself to T+ though AC, not the TA, so that I can pay for that privilege. :)

13. The TA will take your CC for the uplift OR you just give the company a credit on your expense report.

14. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Much easier said than done with most large corporations.

15. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    yup...in fact, when i tried to extend a business trip to save the company $$, they they objected to my carrier of choice and said their preferred one was cheaper...so i said, fine, i will only go on the days for the trip and you will have to shell out more $$$$$...i was pretty disappointed that they are so inflexible ...thankfully, the head of the group figured out what i was doing and authorized the same. it is a very hard struggle with our corporate travel and has only gotten more strict.

16. Someone needs to be fired for incompetence

2MM_Guy and YULtide like this.
  17. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    just a culture of no one wanting to not follow the rules strictly...it has gotten so silly these days.

YULtide and tomh009 like this.
  18. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is so much pressure on the travel agencies to "save money" that any idea of flexibility has been thrown out the window in some companies. It is a classic case of moving from one extreme to another in many organizations. The airlines surely could make it a bit easier by allowing payment personally.

YULtide likes this.
  19. tomh009, I see where you are coming from! Though I've switched from AP to another programme, a lot of my international flying is with AC and some of the cheapest fares are in Tango. A few years ago, even Tango fares to FRA and LHR were 100% flown/earned as an exception. From what I've seen, a lot of fares over the Pacific seem to be Tango fares as the cheapest.

I lost status at AC (in favour of another programme) from 28.02.11 and haven't looked back. For 5 years, my upgrade certificates were completely useless when doing 5+ R/T TXL-FRA-YYZ per year. Each time I flew, the cost of a "Latitude" ticket (upgrade requirement) was more than a discounted "Executive First"!

Needless to say, AC really has to get their priorities straight. LH for that matter too. To be honest, I'm looking at US Airways for a lot of my flying this year, mainly because they give you 100% miles flown in economy AND actually charge a reasonable price for business class, though very mediocre.

Ancient and snobby flight attendants, horrible service in both Y and J (comparatively) and a high YQs... Not my preferred airline anymore.

Sorry my reply has turn into a rant :eek: The AC site is pretty difficult to deal with when looking for specific fares and so are most of the services I've used online. I recently downloaded the Star Alliance app for Android and it was able to display fares in a timely fashion; that might be an option to find something more suitable quicker than ac.com.

YULtide likes this.
  20. Your post is incredibly inaccurate or naive.

1. I just flew back from NRT and the crew was all under 50 years old and half of them were in ther 20's and 30's.
    2. I have been to Europe this last month; flew to LHR and returned from FRA. In both cases the service in J was impeccable.
    3. I just did two long hauls on TG and the service was not comparable to AC in terms of safety procedures and the way service was performed.
    4. Telling us you will fly US across the Atlanticv for better service is a real joke. they are always rated one of the worst of full fare airlines in the sky and are comparative to some of the garbage Americans call premium service. AC beats them hands down each and every survey that comes out.
    5. The issue of only Tango fares being available for some corporate pax is because the corporate managers have asked AC for that fare bucket.
    6. YQ's are equal to or much less than any European airline. Try BA for instance.

southender, mtlfire and YULtide like this.
  21. Perhaps a little bit naive. As I said, I usually fly the same route and that is my own experience. When I fly US (used to do TXL-MUC-PHL-YYZ and TXL-MUC-PHL-SFO), I thought the FAs were super friendly compared to some of the ones I've met on AC. On the other hand, I have had some very pleasant staff on overseas AC flights, but it certainly was never a given in my circumstances.

Now they are. You used to be able to bypass YQ's by booking with some other airlines. You are right about BA!

YULtide likes this.
  22. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I managed to get Tango+ fares for my last transpac trip, but for my next commute to NRT, the first week of September is wide open, and the premium for Tango+ is over $500.

I think I'll resort to flying UA. Not a lot of fun, but at least I'll collect 100% status miles and 100% AP miles. And those status miles might come in handy at the end of the year if I am to stay at the SE level in the face of Tango fares.

YULtide and ACMM like this.
  23. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Tango and Tango Plus is becoming wider like the continental drift. Meanwhile, BR is offering Z class for $3800 ai. Too bad they are not in Star Alliance this year!

24. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately I have little discretion so I end up paying the T+ and covering the cost myself when yelled at - my upcoming trip to ICN will cost me 84$ ... I can swallow that :)

YULtide likes this.
  25. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    $84 is OK for sure ... I'd probably pay $200-300 premium for the round trip. But $500+ is too rich for me. Oh yeah, UA is $150 cheaper, too, so my employer will be happy.