Me and eBay

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jim, Feb 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Selling some stuff on ebay and had a guy bid for the item 3 or 4 times, then failed to pay. After sitting in the resolution center for 4 days with no answer from him, I could finally close the item and resell it.

Of course, I'm not allowed to leave negtive rep for the guy.

And last week, a whole new experience...

6:30 Guy buys something
    6:35 I invoice
    10:45 Buyer pays
    11:20 I ship
    11:25 I send tracking number and mark item shipped at
    12:30 Guy send me an email with shipping instructions, the same as was on his paypal payment. 12:30 I tell him already shipped.
    1:30 email from eBay, dispute filed for item not received.
    1:45 email from eBay, faulty merchandise
    2:00 email from eBay, dispute resolved in favor of buyer
    2:01 I am on the phone with eBay.... dispute stands but they are picking up the charge.

This idiot has a rating of two buys, I had 300+ positive ratings....

3:00 I cancelled my account.

Dovster and arkleseizure like this.
  2. Chamonix
    Original Member

Chamonix Silver Member

Status Points:
    WTH? eBay can't figure out that he couldnt file for not receiving an item the same day he bought it? Good riddance to ebay, it's been several years since Ive sold on there. Thanks for the reminder why.

3. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    The cust service rep I talked to was as astonished as I was. I asked him to elevate this to a manager. I didn't hear anything back but I imagine they saw the closed account and passed on it.

4. cheryld
    Original Member

cheryld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yikes, what a story! I've been selling and buying on eBay for years. I go in spurts though. I just sold a bunch of stuff prior to Christmas. Luckily this time no bad eggs. But I have had them in the past. I am at 500+ positive feedback but I live in fear of a negative response. After reading Jim's story, I see my fear is not misplaced. I don't know why they removed the seller's ability to give negative feedback. The only thing I can do is withhold feedback until some is left for me - seems rather petty. I did change my selling criteria to not accept bids from buyers with negative feedback, but with sellers no longer capable of leaving this - not sure how helpful this is.
    Definitely not as much fun as it used to be. If I didn't have more to unload, I would be done with it as well.

5. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I used to sell on eBay pretty extensively, but their policies on that front have gotten way out of control. There is really an opportunity of a competitor to come along and swoop up all the frustrated sellers and ex-sellers. I've been using Amazon, which is obviously a bit different, but I've been happy so far.

6. Flyer_Esq
    Original Member

Flyer_Esq Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ebay has definitely gone downhill and I don't use it much anymore because of too many buyers who fail to pay or file bogus disputes.

On a related note, I got a chuckle recently out of this story.

CherylD likes this.
  7. wanderlust
    Original Member

wanderlust Silver Member

Status Points:
    eBay has gotten pretty terrible for casual sellers, with the hiked fees and inability to protect yourself from scammers. I'm sorry this happened to you. I'm waiting for it to happen to me, I've had multiple high value auctions be purchased by users with 0 feedback, yet to have been burned, but almost expect it as I dutifully package my item.

8. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    I click just about every buyer exception they offer when creating my listings and yet I still get all kinds of weirdos!

9. bbbb
    Original Member

bbbb Silver Member

Status Points:
    What charge are they going to pick up? If the guy paid with a CC and files a dispute, all of Ebay/Paypal seller protection policy's are void and the guys going to get all his money back.

10. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    They refunded his money to him, I kept the money as I had already fulfilled my part of the obligation.

11. cheryld
    Original Member

cheryld Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is the best story I have read in a long time! I read it at work and people were wondering why I was laughing so hard. Sent it to my brother as he has had some recent 'fun' on eBay too. Thank you for posting this!

Wanaflyforless likes this.
  12. Flyer_Esq
    Original Member

Flyer_Esq Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I love that story! Anytime one of my friends complains about ebay, I send them it for a good laugh.

Wanaflyforless and CherylD like this.
  13. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The last time I used eBay to sell was a year or so after college when I tried to get rid of my text books. Had an experience when someone bought a few pricey books from me. Had them shipped and the item was lost. The buyer told me that its the second time the same books were lost when shipped to him, and of course I lost the dispute after he asked for a charge back. Sounded extremely suspicious to me how the same thing can happen multiple times and how unlucky the sellers were to this particular buyer who were both out the merchandise and the cash + shipping.

14. wanderlust
    Original Member

wanderlust Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you ever try ebay again, be sure to CYA completely. I link Paypal to an empty bank account. I withdraw money as soon as I receive it from an ebay buyer. I ship everything securely, promptly, and with signature confirmation. Paypal and ebay are very buyer friendly, so as an honest seller you have to protect yourself as best you can. Of course, the only times I've been "scammed" on ebay (fortunately only twice for very small amounts) was when I was a buyer.

CherylD likes this.
  15. cheryld
    Original Member

cheryld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I agree with Wanderlust. I have a separate bank account just for ebay transactions. As soon as the money is in Paypal I transfer it to this account. I also empty it from this account quickly - maybe paying my huge electric bill! Then if they try to freeze your account, there is nothing there. I also ship FedEx mostlly, do the tracking feature - UPS would work too. If I use USPS, it is Priority mail with delivery confirmation. If it is a big ticket item, yes signature confirmation is great. Besides a few 'non-paying' bidders, my only other big issue was when I was a buyer as well.

16. Cosmos Human
    Original Member

Cosmos Human Silver Member

Status Points:
    Several years ago I sold stuff on ebay, never again. the fees are out of line.

Wanaflyforless likes this.