MCT in IAD - Schedule Change

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by catgirl, Oct 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi. Another question about IAD. :)

Schedule has changed for my connecting flight from FRA (LH F) to ORD. I have GE, so should be able to fly past CBP. :)

Is an 80 minutes enough time to go through C&I, grab luggage and re-check? Or should I look at other flight options from FRA to another city to connect to ORD that gives me more breathing time?

If something opens in LH F from FRA-ORD, I would obviously take that flight. In the event it doesn't, would you roll with the proposed change?

My gut is to just keep it, but I haven't entered the US via IAD before, so not sure how bad it is or isn't.

Thanks!

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Without knowing whether this is an award ticket, my first step would be to call and say that I am concerned about the tighter connection, asking to be put onto the FRA-ORD nonstop in FC without any additional payment. if this does not work, assuming it is a single PNR, I would stick with the current flights since you do have GE.

3. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Award ticket and no F space on the FRA-ORD flight. Though, I keep checking in the event a seat opens up.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    No FC space at all or no FC award inventory? Airlines can open additional award space when schedules change and to some extent have the responsibility to do so when their schedule changes inconvenience previously ticketed passengers.

5. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was looking at F award inventory. I will see if there is F space and see if they will just move me to that flight.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember that schedule changes negate the normal rules.

7. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ahhh yes - I forgot that rule. :)

Flyer1976 likes this.
  8. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So if there's F open...and LH initiated the schedule change...They will put you on the flight that you want...

9. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I called CO (who I booked my award tix through) and they said there was only C space avail on the FRA-ORD flight. When I did a dummy booking on LH, 8 F seats avail. The change was to the UA flight IAD-ORD. UA has been busy with schedule changes, I have them on 2 other PNRs too.

10. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll give you a free consultation, send me a convo.

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    So ask CO to get you a later UA flight IAD-ORD.

The 80 minutes is probably enough time, especially with GE, but still not a lot of dallying. If you think you'll want the buffer - or if you'll likely have checked baggage - then get the flight changed. But I'd lean on them to change the short flight where they own the inventory and where it is easy for them to fix it rather than where they have to deal with a partner.

That's a "free consultation" for you and anyone else who finds themselves in a similar situation in the future. ;)

Flyer1976 likes this.
  12. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    ;) You know how some people will charge an arm and leg for that information, I gave her the IAD MCT Information from ExpertFlyer so she'd have a good idea on what to tell UACO since a 80 minute connection at IAD is "illegal" according to a LH to UA International to Domestic (Requires 90 Minutes).

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Wow...so generous of you. :rolleyes:

Simply asking the agent what the MCT is would work just as well and cost nary a digit, much less an entire limb.

14. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    :rolleyes: Indeed when one offers help and gets a :rolleyes: for it... The OP could have asked CO but last time I checked they don't know anything when it comes to interline MCTs... I just had TG cancel my space because it was illegally booked by five minutes and the Agent/Supervisor was clueless on the MCTs even though it's there on IATA but of course YMMV so I sent her the information that the OP needs.

15. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks guys. Appreciate the help, however, I did know to ask for a later flight from IAD-ORD, I'm not that clueless. The only issue is the next flight to ORD from IAD is 5 hours later. Hence my question about enough time. I did do my research on times before I posted and called CO.

I haven't decided if I am going to re-route to another city with a longer connection time or accept for now. I thought 80 mins MCT was too short. Thought maybe I could push it with GE and I don't know how IAD international to domestic connections are set-up, so I asked MP.

Ideally award space opens FRA-ORD on LH in F then it is all a moot point.

Happy Sunday.

16. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    FRA-DEN is open in F but DEN-ORD would have to be waitlisted if you wanted the B744 on LH.

catgirl likes this.
  17. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I saw the flight to DEN.

Is it considered backtracking from DEN-ORD? I think there is some rule about %, but that is something I don't fully understand. Would I be able to get booked on that flight?

18. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this an UA or CO Award? if it's CO...Routing rules are relaxed... if it's UA then the MPM+15% counts but it won't be backtracking to CO... I could book MCO-LAX-JFK-FRA if I wanted =D

19. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    CO Award. :)

That's it, the MPM +15%. That still confuses me on UA. :)

On hold with CO - they are tying to get UA to open award space from DEN-ORD, to which they just came back and said they could. Back on hold while they firm it up.

At least there are 2 other flights after the 4:04 pm to ORD versus IAD.

20. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info! All taken care of and no UA F long haul and no illegal MCT in IAD.

Kudos to the CO agent who knew that was an illegal connection.

So does this mean on a 10 hour flight that I now get full jammies from LH? :D

21. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The :rolleyes: was for suggesting that the advice should be private and not for everyone to benefit from.

I've never had that problem unless I ask them to manually build an itinerary. In fact they can do that if you press them to but otherwise they absolutely enforce the MCTs and can easily look them up. I've had many a call inquiring about such and getting the details I needed to build awards .

22. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah...My itinerary is definitely manually built segment by segment but that should have validated or caught it don't you think? I asked them if this met MCT for all segments and was told it did so they will ticket it...then 3 weeks later instead of asking me to rebook they canceled the segments... No worries...I got a better one on them =D