MCT at PHX Airport

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by edekba, Jul 7, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    So we bought one of those PHX - Spain trips a few weeks ago but we now need to figure out how to get to PHX.

This is our current flights all on UA, which from Wikipedia tells me they fly out of T2.

PHX-EWR - depart 11:25am

EWR-PHX - arrive 7:10pm

How much time is needed to get from T4 [AA/Southwest seems to be the cheapest flights from LAX to PHX) to T2?

2. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's kind of a pain to transfer terminals. Don't believe that the skytrain will take you from T4 to T2. You can take it from T4 to T3, then walk over to T2 but it's a hike, outdoors and hot. If you can fly UA Express directly into T2, that honestly would be the best way to go.

They've discontinued the inter-terminal shuttles, so the above is your only choice.

If you do end up changing terminals, I'd leave 1.30 to 2.0 hours to do so.

edekba likes this.
  3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're connecting on separate tickets and different carriers...I don't think that MCT is what you should be concerned with, but rather your personal risk tolerance, on-time performance, and available redundant/backup options of the flights under consideration.

I've never used T2 in phx.

Published generic MCT at PHX is 1 hour. Published MCT between AA and AS is 2 hours, including on AA codeshares. AS uses T2. I wouldn't book near MCT on separate tickets. Looking at today's flight schedule there are 3 total AA and WN flights that arrive before 925am and would theoretically meet that 2 hr cross terminal MCT. The day before would really be better, though. all it takes is one mechanical or late-arriving crew with insufficient rest from the evening prior and you risk missing the connection - although at least they would be early morning flights.

edekba likes this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup that was thinking ...

Could I check a bag all the way through to Spain from LAX? Since its UA to UA maybe that'll be fine but then they would probably charge me for the LAX-PHX segment I think

5. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    According to https://skyharbor.com/PHXSkyTrain, there is a SkyWalk between T2 & T3, but I believe it is outside security. Security at T2 has always been a breeze, but T4 can be a bear.

I used to schlep between T2 & T4 all the time to connect from my SOW-PHX flights to my HP PHX-xxx flights. When you have luggage that does not transfer, it could be quite the schlep!

edekba likes this.
  6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm according to that link; Couldnt I jump on a Rental Car Shuttle to get from T4<->T2

7. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Theoretically... Have a dummy reservation for a car rental, and then "forget" something and get off at T2.

8. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Question about UA -> UA.

Currently I'm booked on UA121/UA1929 from BCN - EWR - PHX. We land at PHX at 7:10pm

There's a $69 PHX - LAX UA5436 at 8pm. Can I check my bag from BCN all the way to LAX? Even if its on two PNRs?

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    In theory, yes, though it requires a good agent to do it. The UI interface that UA has for its employees apparently doesn't make this particular function easy. And at BCN you're dealing with outsourced staff who likely will not be familiar with such things. The good news is that you have to claim your bags in EWR anyways passing through customs and probably an agent there can fix it. But no guarantees.

edekba likes this.