MCO - Mileage run on UA or CO

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by qak36, Oct 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. qak36

qak36 Active Member

Status Points:
    Hello All,

I'm new to true mileage running, currently MileagePlus Premier Silver and shooting for Premier Executive or Premier 1K. I have some questions for all the pros out there.

I have 2 flights scheduled in next 2 weeks which should add total Elite 13K miles and I still need 8K miles for Premier Executive before 12/31/2011.

Is it possible to shoot for MileagePlus Premier 1K especially out of Orlando, will need 58K miles before 31st Dec'11

Thanks

2. jumbo_cards

jumbo_cards Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not a true mileage runner, but finding MR flights takes time and planning -- unless you want to spend around 10cpm or more, you probably won't get 58k end of this year. So yes, if you are willing to dish out few thousand dollars till end of this year it is do-able.

8k is do-able, ask for around for help finding cheap fares or start learning how to trick it. Regardless, it would be less than 1000 for sure to fly 8k.

3. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it is definitely do-able if you have free time between Dec 1-13. That tends to be a very demand period for travel, so availability of cheap fare classes is great. Checkout www.farecompare.com/flyertalk for some cheap fares and booking classes, and try to figure out the routing rules. If you can get some flights MCO-IAD-SFO-SEA and back the same way that could be close to 8000 EQMs per round trip. Of course the way to really pile them on would be if you can fly something like MCO-IAD-LAX-NRT-BKK and back. That should net you over 20,000 EQMs per round trip. You will be able to find good fares on that over Thanksgiving as well as first half of December - though availability on the domestic portion could be tough around Thanksgiving peak travel days, but might work on the lighter days around Thanksgiving. Good Luck.

harvardkim likes this.
  4. qak36

qak36 Active Member

Status Points:
    New to fare compare how do I find MCO-IAD-SFO-SEA flight / deals and track it?

5. bjdriscoll

bjdriscoll Silver Member

Status Points:
    CO is currently in the second day of a three day sale to Europe. I think the cheapest right now is $484 MCO-EWR-LHR. After taxes and fees that would be around 7cpm so not a great run.

I'm out of MCO as well and booked an MCO-EWR-SEA MR a few weeks ago at 3.2cpm getting 6678 miles. Not sure if that fare is still around. Like Seacarl said, the first two weeks of December are your best bet. You can easily get the 8k but getting 58k by year end may be a bit difficult, unless money is no object.

Let me know if you need a running partner; I'd be happy to make a run to SEA or SFO for lunch!

6. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    What about starting from TPA or FLL? Isn't even the first part of December busy with those making a trip to visit Mickey?

harvson3 likes this.
  7. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or JAX or DAB.

As noted in earlier posts, whether you add the extra 50K EQM depends on how you value the difference between Exec Plat and 1K, and what you'll do on those extra miles. It's going to cost upwards of $1000, and hours.

8. Hey there. Just found this site last night. I too am out of MCO - I am 9,970 miles short of 1K status. I am thinking about a MR to Europe. With proper connections - I will be either just short or can make it over the hurdle. Thinking of going in December - first or second week.

I'm still trying to get a grasp on the ITA Matrix software and all the codes. Have seen some of the posts - but still overwhelmed. Anyone up for a 10-15 minute day time phone call for some 1:1 training?? :)

9. qak36

qak36 Active Member

Status Points:
    Made it to Premier Executive status and now need 20K miles for Premier Plat (75K). I have 2-3 trips planned for next 2 weeks so would be short by 10K and still need a mileage run. Let me know if you find something good.

10. dlnewbie

dlnewbie Active Member

Status Points:
    Usually UA/CO has decent transcon fares with decent routing out of MCO.

11. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let me ask more basic questions. Why do you want the status you are trying to attain? Bonus miles? Upgrades? E+ seating? Better award availability? You just really like UA? Sure, I understand why you would want 1K, but is there a pattern of travel you will have in 2012 that will enable you to leverage and maintain the status? Or is this a one-time deal?

Also keep in mind that at the 2012 Premier Exec level, you will only get 50% bonus RDMs (as opposed to the current 100%), and your upgrade clearance is going to be slim, but you still would have Star Alliance Gold status, which is handy if you have overseas travel in 2012.

And as an earlier poster alluded, don't forget that the Premier Platinum level at 75K EQMs will be stationed in between Premier Exec and 1K.

Whatever you decide, good luck, have fun, an welcome to MilePoint and to the world of mileage running!

12. qak36

qak36 Active Member

Status Points:
    I am looking for upgrades and I will be travel a lot more than I did this year. Travel will include international travel also so having star alliance gold status would definitely help.