MCI

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sfo1, Jun 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does MCI have a premier line for security for UA? Have a 0610 flight on a Monday and don't want to have to get to the airport earlier than I have to.

2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Due to the odd way the MCI airport was designed (1950s design that didn't take into account the TSA), there are multiple checkpoints for every terminal. I don't know for sure if UA has an elite line, but the times I've been there, there wasn't much of a line anywhere.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You might get more responses in the UA forum.

4. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Terminals at MCI have security "every few gates" instead of per terminal. The three terminals are horseshoe shaped and blocked off into chunks for security purposes.

They do have premier security lines, but for each security zone it's one TSA boarding pass reviewer and one or two TSA lines. I think when I flew AC out of there the UA gates were in one or two chunks of six gates each.

sfo1 likes this.
  5. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    As others have said, there is technically a premier security line for the UA gates but it doesn't really matter.

With the configuration there, the most I've ever spent going through security is 2-3 minutes and the most people I've seen in line is maybe five.

You could reasonably drop a rental car off at the beginning of boarding, take the shuttle to your terminal, clear security, and make your flight. Not that I recommend it, but I can assure you that I've done it.

Note, for anyone who comes to this thread in the future, that this describes the 2013 configuration at MCI. There is a project in the works that, if approved, would demolish the existing terminals in favor of a more typical single-terminal approach which I assume would have longer security lines. One of the arguments that's been advanced for the change is the high cost of staffing the high number of security screening points in the current set-up.

sfo1 likes this.
  6. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems like the current way works well even if it cost more.

7. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:

Thanks for the info. Flight is at 0610 so will plan on getting to the airport around 0515, small aircraft Q400 so there won't be tons of people.

8. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    My guess is you were in the gate area by 5:25 or 5:30 and has plenty of time to enjoy the total lack of post-security services.

Sent from a place using a fruit thing.

Flyer1976, mikeschu and sfo1 like this.