McDonald's CEO: 'We Don't Sell Junk Food'

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by uggboy, May 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || McDonald's CEO: 'We Don't Sell Junk Food' ||

[​IMG]

marcwint55, Sweet Willie and sobore like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    What a clown. Has he ever looked at most of the stuff on his menu?

3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Obviously McDonald's themselves is getting healthier, but compare this to "real" healthy food, this would be another matter, but I can understand from where he's coming from and what he means. It's all relative of course.

marcwint55 and Sweet Willie like this.
  4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Our local McDonalds renovated recently and my wife and I went on opening day and received punch cards good for a "sandwich" each week for year! It’s out of my way so I don't go, but my wife walks by it every day from work so she goes more often. She generally tries to get some sort of chicken wrap but certain servers say it’s a sandwich only so she gets the Angus burger – either way it’s a “fresher” option, but not very healthy in my book…

Ok for an occasional consumption, but I don’t really like the idea of eating it each week, even at free.

YULtide, Sweet Willie and uggboy like this.
  5. MegaDont

MegaDont Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does McDonalds really need to get healthier? Who goes to McDonalds to be healthy? Burgers aren't healthy and McDonalds is a burger joint (slowly moving away from it, but it still is). Maybe pressure should be put on healthier places to work on offering lower-priced options that are more affordable and have less focus put on being a trendy place to eat. They already offer healthy foods... it just seems right.

It just seems weird to rely on McDonalds just because their menu is cheaper with their current offerings. If you're worried about people's health... don't make them walk into a place that sells mostly crap.

Just my two cents.

FetePerfection, Fredrik and uggboy like this.
  6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well said, healthy food should be cheaper and more accessible. Sadly, this will not happen. Money is king, and the king overlooks the average Joe / Jane.

mht_flyer likes this.
  7. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Double Cheeseburger: $1.29, fat grams ~ 15
    McDonald's Salad: $4.29, fat grams (with creamy dressing, bacon, croutons, etc.) ~35

Which one will the poorer person eat? 3 Double Cheeseburgers (at once or three separate times) or one Salad?

And if they choose the salad, they get only slightly less fat than the 3 DCB's.

People don't go to McDonald's for healthy. They go for cheap and/or quick.

MegaDont likes this.
  8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    While quick and cheap is OK IMHO, overall only because someone is poor / or / poorer doesn't mean that high fat quantity food should be on the table at all times. I would love to see the promotion of REAL healthy food for people who usually struggle to find healthy options in their 'hood. It's all about accessibility and encouragement, to fragment because someone is poor and "has no other options or is not educated enough" that's IMHO isn't good enough and let's a whole generation down, and someone who supports a lifestyle of fragmentation in which millions literally haven't access to healthy food should be seen as a criminal.

9. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Everyone, by and large (in the first world where McDonalds is "a problem"), has access to healthy food. By its own nature (no pun intended) it costs more because it's not mass produced.

If you have less money but need the same amount of food, you either eat healthy with less food or less healthy with more food.

The real problem is that cheap, mass produced food skews the actual cost of food (and CPI) down away from what it takes to feed a family with fresh meats and vegetables.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

SM105 likes this.
  10. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    But in real terms I have the strong feeling that due to "too high" pricing of healthy foods, because of maybe "artificial scarceness" some or even many poorer people are having no other choice than to eat unhealthier options, be it McDonald's or otherwise. The problem we see is that food producers do produce what's suits them best and they haven't the best interests in mind for their consumers, and there is strong suspicion that even so-called "luxury food or healthier food" is still not as healthy than it could or should be. Sometimes it's more about perception than reality, sadly the reality is felt by many who are left out of having access to healthy food options.

11. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow...ice cream and pies are not junk food...that's a new one...:eek:

uggboy likes this.
  12. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely. We're still at a point where actual capital income and a rising share price trumps the social capital of doing what's currently perceived as "right" in terms of nutrition, cost, etc. The flip side is, people don't see the actual long-term costs of this "cheap, mass produced food" in terms of health, etc. until it's too late. The businesses (legally) have to make all the money they can in terms of actual dollars, and consumers "have to" make choices that fit their (often constrained) budgets.

I'd argue more strongly, though, that for McDonalds, the allure is MUCH less cheap food and much MORE "fast and easy" and "shut up, kids!"

uggboy and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  13. RachaelMurphy

RachaelMurphy New Member

Status Points:
    Me and my son's favorite food joint because it serves us healthy and hygienic food at a reasonable price.

14. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    add 'price' to last statement
    that punch card is a very generous giveaway
    Welcome to Milepoint ! What menu item(s) do you normally order?

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  15. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a shareholder and a fan of McDonald's I will chime in with my opinion on the food product and company. While I agree that there have been healthier additions to the menu, I would not go to McDonalds looking for health food. That being said, my three kids (all adults now) ate at McDonalds growing up. It was not an every day occasion and the majority of their meals were healthy meals prepared by my wife. All three of my kids are in extremely good physical condition and they work out to stay that way. I believe there is a place for healthy and not so healthy food in this world, and it is up to parents to teach proper dietary rules to their children. When we see obese children and adults, it is not the fault of McDonalds or any other fast food chain. No one is forced to eat there and we need to take personal responsibility for our lives and the decisions we make and not blame that on others.

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  16. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's a picture of a favorite McDonald's in Tbilisi, Georgia. The food really does taste different there!

Attached Files:

anileze and Sweet Willie like this.
  17. Is he stupid I am sorry how could ANYONE possibly think that.

18. I am here now!

I am here now! Active Member

Status Points:
    What he actually meant was, "We don't sell junk food... really! It's not food!"

;)

(No offense to anyone who likes McDonald's, I go there myself once in a while, but I just thought the original comment deserved an original answer.)

19. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cheap food last longer, expensive food has a spoilage problem..

Butter is solid, Olive Oil flows at body room temp..

Your body, your choice....

Very few fat Asians.....