Maybe We Need an FT "Vent" Thread (I'm Just Venting)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by dayone, Jun 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    For some of us, FT moderation is a source of endless inconsistency, contradiction and hypocrisy. Some forums (fora) are much worse than others. Since moderation can't be publicly questioned, it is doomed to repeat its failures.

My latest frustration (as merely a reader) with it occurred today when the use of "ghetto" (i.e., "ghetto bird") was expunged from the AA forum because of "its racial connotation." Let's just ignore the fact that ghetto has been used as an adjective for years on other FT forums. What can't be ignored is the fact that ghetto applies more commonly to ethnic and economic, not racial, concentration or the fact that the ghetto "was originally used in Venice to describe the part of a city to which Jews were restricted and segregated." More to the point, ghetto as an adjective is accepted to describe decrepit, cheaply-made or inferior. On FT, common usage and meaning be damned.

Sadly, moderation and facts are too often mutually exclusive on FT. Meaning and intent are inferred when neither is present. Emoticons are overused but humor, sarcasm and satire are discouraged, deleted and disciplined. The most egregious FT moderation is the product of the lowest common denominator. It's goal is to dumb down, stay the course and favor repetition over concision and rigorous debate.

FT moderation is what it is and "it" seems more entrenched than ever. I don't expect it to change, but I do feel better after posting this.

Pete, newbluesea and Mike Reed like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    How does that make MilePoint a better and more useful place?

I have my own problems with FT and some of its rules, but I just don't see the point of such a thread.

dhammer53 and MX like this.
  3. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought this whole board was a modified FT "vent" thread?

Sweet Willie, Jim, dhammer53 and 2 others like this.
  4. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Have to agree, that's not what Milepoint is about. Rather, let's work on making Milepoint the best it can be.

As a reference point, the term seems to have a generic connotation these days and one of the popular blogs on BoardingArea is called GhettoIFE and to my knowledge, no one or certainly not many if any, have ever complained about the blog name.

Anyway, hope you don't mind, but this is likely not miles/points related so let's move it to a more appropriate forum.

MX, garyst16 and Gaucho like this.
  5. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Not so, we proudly support all forums and resources that can help the traveler.

And BTW, your blog may just be the worst travel blog, but is it actually pretty good reading. In fact, "Yee Haw!" and a thumbs up to it!

Gaucho likes this.
  6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    ug... another of these threads....??????

:confused:

Sweet Willie, garyst16 and Mike Reed like this.
  8. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not a FT member, but when I think of the word ghetto I think of slums, poor community resources, and few economic opportunities that cause residents to live well below the poverty level. This applies to any place fitting the description, whether it be neighborhoods in India, Compton, New Orleans, or Harlem. Anyone too quick to pull the race card shows they are the one with the racial issue, lacking education, world experiences, or a combination of the three.

In my short experience here it seems people are happy to move on from the drama (that eludes me since I was never on FT), so the thread suggestion of discussing issues on another named website can be well-received or dreaded depending on the reader. Perhaps maybe just post the issue and ask for opinions, such as, "Do you think the word ghetto is racist?" That way everyone is happy and can respond without mudslinging.

The mudslinging notion makes me think of a piece of advice I still remember. "Never get in a fight with a pig. You both get dirty. The difference is -- the pig likes it."

tommy777 likes this.
  9. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, my oldest is a History Professor at GW in DC. He has the semester off as he has a Fellowship at the Library of Congress to work on his newest book - the history of the Ghetto and a place and a concept. He'll be thrilled to know that all of you will be lining up to buy it when it comes out!

10. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have posted here about a number of discussions which have seen and disliked on FT.

However I must say I cannot help but notice a "we are holier than thou" trend here and the often too prevalent use of "this is not FT" put-down as a weapon against posters who happen to express an opposing opinion.... as a result I for one have decided (a few months ago) to no longer participate in this site's Hilton board.

Sweet Willie and dhammer53 like this.
  11. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    And that concerns me. I would think at this point that they are two different boards and that each has its pluses and minuses. There is clearly room for both. Randy was there at the beginning of both. I agree we don't need to "dis" the other to appreciate this. But I do feel that MP was promoted as having a different "culture" and when alternative opinions become put-downs, I don't agree that it is wrong not to point it out.

newbluesea, you are a silver member so you have obviously done your share of posting. You obviously have info worth sharing. MP is still a baby compared to FT. Let it develop in your image - we don't have to be Stepford wives and we shouldn't all drink the Kool-Aid! I don't participate in the Hilton board but not because of the posters - because of Hilton! But I would encourage you to bring any upset to the folks who run this place. We need more, not less.

DYKWIA likes this.
  12. lax
    Original Member

lax Active Member

Status Points:

Your problem is that you assume that most posters here care about the health and betterment of this commercial website business Milepoint. No one uses Facebook, YouTube, Google with a thought about whether his actions are good or bad for Facebook, YouTube, Google.

People like to vent when subject to the petty whims of Flyertalk moderators exercising their HOA-boardmember-like powers. You can't do that on Flyertalk, so this seems like the perfect place to find others with similar frustrations. Frustration with Flyertalk moderation has to be a big source of business for Milepoint, so I would think the old bald man would love this bit of stroking.

Finally, let no one forget that the old bald man in charge here is the same one who instituted the Flyertalk prime directive that thou shalt never discuss moderation. He enabled the above-referenced prickness of jdriver and spiff. In his opening week here, the old bald man continued to defend the prime directive, mixing in one his far-to-frequent anal-fixation references (something must be in the air in Colorado Springs with Focus on the Family, Michelle Malkin, and anal-fixation). http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/prime-directive-thou-shalt-not-discuss-moderation.1434/

13. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now I'm not sure if the thread is about bashing another forum or discussing the inability to discuss moderator actions. The way I have viewed forums is that the rules are the rules, moderators are usually unpaid volunteers that keep a site running, and if you don't like the policies there is an exit door.

Speaking in my limited experience on MP only, the one time a post offended another member and I reported it, it was handled in a timely manner. If I make a boo-boo, I expect to get slapped for it. It doesn't mean I'm going to post a thread and whine about it. I might be misunderstanding the direction this thread has taken, and if so I apologize.

tommy777 likes this.
  14. MegaDont

MegaDont Silver Member

Status Points:
    It feels good to complain - I get it - but there is definitely no need for a FT venting thread here. Maybe all the people dissatisfied should create a new forum just for complaining about FT... it would be amusing. That said, this is a forum for travel, miles and points. Complaining about other forums doesn't really fit into the mix.

Randy did right in moving this to Off Topic and not closing it, but ultimately everyone agrees that there are moderation issues over there, so there is really no need to discuss it. They always just go in circles.

15. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Vents are necessary parts of airplanes, but when opened at altitude they cause issues with pressure, so its best to leave control of them to the pilot. Unless you mean those little vents with the round knob that are over every seat and blow annoying cold air on you.

anileze and Captain Oveur like this.
  16. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or the kind that vent pressure cookers to prevent explosions and the resultant collateral damage.

YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

17. TheTourVan

TheTourVan Active Member

Status Points:
    As a new member here, but a member of many other forums, I see exactly what you are saying. Its a fairly slow (new) message board, but there is without a doubt an attitude by some here that is extremely unwelcoming. It has not happened as much on my posts necessarily, but as I read and became familiar with this site, it is apparent and your dead right.

I have found myself spending more time elsewhere, which is a shame, because I enjoyed what I saw here early on.

Gargoyle likes this.
  18. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't visit Hilton, but I'm curious about the attitude that you perceive here. Could you please give some specific examples or explain more what the problems are in that forum.

19. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can track the Hilton issues back to one poster that most of us there have on ignore now.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

20. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really haven't got the inclination ( and really see no upside) to quote specific examples.
    All I can say is that I have been called a troll, disruptive and a liar when I have posted conflicting views of my program experiences there.
    As 26 year member (and top tier for well over 12+ years) of the Hilton Honors program my participation was primarily inform/assist other members of my interactions, limited though may be, of various facets and/or properties in the program.

21. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given that I can see (and reply) to your post... you're certainly not the one on ignore. I agree, though, that posting in that forum has become essentially useless.

newbluesea likes this.
  22. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I trust if Milepoint had a venting forum, it would be almost as popular as the MegaDo forums.
    Why focus on anything negative here? :oops:

Gargoyle likes this.
  23. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, you are suggesting everyone remain, underpressure? :p

Captain Oveur and Gargoyle like this.
  24. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    That all depends on whether they are blowing hot or cold.

:D

Captain Oveur likes this.