Maya's video e-mail this afternoon (26 Sep)

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by kansaskeith, Sep 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    The President of Aadvantage sent a video e-mail to Elites this afternoon.

I started this thread so folks can share opinions on what she said.

But I have a selfish reason too. You see, I am on my iPhone with no Flash and the video won't play.

So I came to milepoint to find out what she said before I get home tonight.

Didn't see anything, so I started this.

What did she say? Any response to last week's UA moves, 4 or 5 elite tiers, etc.?

And once we establish what she said, what do members think?

2. sukn
    Original Member

sukn Silver Member

Status Points:
    She doesn't mention anything we don't know already but does state that Dynamic awards are not a means of eventually doing away with traditional AAdvantage awards.

Link to video:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/eliteStatus.jsp

In the video she plugs:

Citi Exec AAdvantage card
    Dynamic Air awards
    Elite Rewards
    Preferred Plus seats
    Million Miler program
    Ginzu Steak Knives (not really)

3. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Funny video, let's see if Jeff makes one next

rwoman likes this.
  4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    EXP...didn't get it. I usually don't have any spam filter issues with AA.

5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    With 83,000 bonus AAdvantage Miles?

6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Although she did say that nothing she says in the video implies things can't change in the future ;)

Seriously though Maya's great. She was funny and personable and probably should run for office.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  7. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting idea. A swap, perhaps? Maya could run for U.S. President and Mrs. Bachmann could run AAdvantage?" NOOOO! (lol)

(I did get to see the Maya video e-mail when I got off my iPhone and home tonight. I would agree with most on here that it really didn't break any new ground, other than tell us she has a light touch and a sense of humor.)

8. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would vote for her!!!

9. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Am I the only one that though that the Gary on the line would be another Gary?

Sagy likes this.
  10. Bluto
    Original Member

Bluto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can someone freeze a frame at say the 12 second mark and zoom in so we can read the titles of the manila folders behind her desk? I want to see if there is anything interesting like "New Award Chart" or "Double Secret Elite Titanium". :D

JohnDeere19, rwoman and OceanBreezes like this.
  11. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not impressed.
    Yes, Maya is swell. ok?
    But, when they took away the "every mile counts toward a million" they removed an incentive to participate in AAdvantage, to fly American Airlines, and to hold and use any AA affiliated Citi credit card.
    I flew AA this past weekend. I had to connect at DFW, as opposed to the competitor's non-stop.
    It was a notably nondescript flying experience. Except that my Group 4 boarding got my carryon in a bin way behind my seat.:( What was Maya saying about Preferred and Preferred Plus seats? How does that serve as an incentive to the non-elite members of AAdvantage to choose American Airlines for flight.
    There has been a hue and cry of late about loyalty programs needing to reward the big spenders. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water; unless you are ready to publicly call it your big spender's rewards program (and to heck with loyalty).
    As our planed taxied out of DFW with me in a middle seat, I looked out the window and saw a Virgin America. Hmm...I wonder what they are like.:rolleyes:

Eloy Fonseca Neto likes this.
  12. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    Usually, ideas like this don't work...but, this one did! Nothing new, but made me want to go look at the Elite Rewards more as it made me think that I may be missing something...she said "for those close to the next level"...was not sure what that meant. For those who do not read message boards like this, there probably was new info that they had missed in the emails. Overall, well done...good humor without being too goofy, she comes across as a "real" person vs just a high level executive who can talk and say nothing, very likeable. Well done - I will also vote for her!

13. Sagy

Sagy Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, you are not the only one and there are probably more than just the two of us. The question is how many will admit to it ;)

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  14. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey, wait a minute. Haven't there been news stories that according to one ancient calendar, everything is going to end in 2012 anyway? And which calendar is that? The "Mayan" calendar. Really :)

Eloy Fonseca Neto, rwoman and Sagy like this.
  15. Flyer
    Original Member

Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    She's so dorky!

16. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    It arrived in my email about 11pm (UK time) last night...I was happily sleeping in my own bed after a night on the 752 BOS-LHR. :) I have yet to watch it...

17. boxedlunch
    Original Member

boxedlunch Silver Member

Status Points:

Despite all the noise about changes we don't like, let's acknowledge that Maya's efforts to modernize AAdvantage have appeared genuine, well-intended, and personal. Her responsibility is to AA's bottom line, but she seems to respect that there are people and emotions behind brand loyalty and advocacy as well. Hopefully I won't have to eat these words, but as long as AAdvantage is in Maya's care, I'm confident that the AA forum will avoid the "excitement" that the DL/CO forums have enjoyed lately.

Now Maya, how about a weekly video series about the daily goings-on of our favorite airline reality star (you)?

18. 7Continents
    Original Member

7Continents Silver Member

Status Points:
    Funny how a personal connection makes all the difference. Many of us know and quite like people like Maya in AA, COInsider and SPG champion to name a few of the more famous ones. Probably makes those of us in the know feel a little more loved.

19. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, compared with some other programs where there may be quite a few, the biggest "change we don't like" in AAdvantage is probably the new Million-Miler one, and realistically it's amazing they kept the old one going as long as they did.

In 2001, right around 9/11, I remember rushing around trying to make my first million for lifetime Gold, just knowing they couldn't honor that unpublished goody forever.

Well, my instinct was right but premature, as they kept it going another decade, easily allowing me to slide in to Lifetime Plat in the meantime.

Their Lifetime ranks had to be swelling immensely, and while I followed all the logic about AA's business-sense in broadening the incentive program to multiple commercial industries (ala "Sperry & Hutchinson Green Stamps" of the 1950s - anybody remember those?), you just had to know the AA couldn't continue forever granting second-highest status to folks who theoretically didn't once have to even board an airplane. The fact that Maya appeared to be so proactive about protecting all the credits that folks had accrued under an unpublished program all the way up to Dec. 1 is a major pro-consumer feather in her cap, IMHO.

boxedlunch likes this.
  20. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Off topic, but since you received the email about the video, you're probably an AA elite, no? Why did you end up boarding with group 4? (unless you accessed the URL from another source).

21. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your post. I am not an AA Elite. I am a senior citizen and a frugal leisure traveller. I accessed the URL through this page! I realize the video was not meant to be seen by non-elite members of AAdvantage. That's the beauty of participating in these kinds of websites.
    Bags in overhead bins behind you can happen on most any airline. The Group 4 boarding happened on the last segment of my flight home. I had middle seat 17, and the young lady boarding ahead of me had middle seat 19. When the plane landed, we both needed to move to let the window seat passengers exit; and then wait till it cleared out enough that we could get back to our bags. This made me give thought first to paying for better boarding, and then thought to AAdvantage status.
    This was my first flight on American in 4 years. And, it was an ok experience. I joined AAdvantage in the middle of 2010. The only significant change in my travel spending so far as a result of being an AAdvantage member is that I rent from Avis much more than I did in the past. What I'm waiting for from AAdvantage is some motivation to choose to fly more with American Airlines.
    Things can change, and probably will in the future? I agree. Right now, flight on American sends me through Dallas or Chicago. But Chicago has the new United. And to some degree, Southwest will be creating a "new Southwest effect" everywhere as it grows after taking over the old Airtran in Atlanta.
    Need to see better incentives for non-elite AAdvantage members to choose to fly on American Airlines.

Eloy Fonseca Neto likes this.
  22. Flyer
    Original Member

Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The motivation to fly more with American Airlines is so you can earn status. Then the video would have been relevant to you.

23. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I think that is a reasonable observation. And when I saw the video I thought it was not particularly relevant to me as a non-elite member. I see the video from a different perspective; not what's in it for me, but rather that there's nothing in it for me. How many members does AAdvantage have? And how many of those members are Elite? And where is the AAdvantage focusing it's attention?

AA, if you come looking for me; I will have taken my seat on the back of the bus ... for a while.

24. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a non AA flyer (at the moment though seriously considering a challenge), Maya has impressed me by coming out front a lot more and directly reading things on forums like this, and getting involved in discussions with non screened groups. Her personality really came out to me when the theme for the launch party was announced. I mean, its not every day that a corporate executive hosts a pajama party at a fancy hotel ;)

OceanBreezes likes this.
  25. MilePointInformed
    Original Member

MilePointInformed Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maya represents the new breed of todays executives.
    Approachable accessible and listening to her customers
    It is a refreshing change to most other airlines who rule with an iron fist out of a concrete bunker hiding from their customers only to send out a group email informing all the negative changes coming.

I knew the million miler program would change and historically there was worry after 9-11 it could happen.
    It was then out of that possible concern I decided at all costs there was value in nailing it.
    What's amazing is how long it went without changing.

Depending which side of the lifetime elite wall one sits on
    some are going to have a positive or negative spin on the situation.
    For me it means American running a less congested program of faux elites in the program
    All good things must come to an end.Loyalty paid off for me

kansaskeith likes this.