May / June travel suggestions sought...

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by konoyaro, Feb 2, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. konoyaro

konoyaro Silver Member

Status Points:
    I’m trying to plan a memorable vacation for two adults (me and my wife) for around a week in late May / early June to celebrate a significant milestone. I’m hoping for input from the knowledgeable and well traveled folks here.

Some of the considerations:
    I’m 1K on United and am hoping to use the 4 SWU certs I have at my disposal - failing that, I would might try to use the roughly 400,000 MP miles in in my account. The aim would be to fly in C or better.

We like South East Asia, and have been to a few of the popular beach and metropolitan destinations in the region such as Koh Samui, Koh Chang, Krabi, Hua Hin, Phuket, Penang, Bali, Singapore, etc. Returning to this area is not a problem as it often offers a very good benefit cost value but am open to other regions or destinations.
    For example, we like some of the options that Krabi and that area offer but we’ve been a few times and understand that May/June is not the best time to visit the West coast of Thailand.
    Places like Greece, Malé, Sri Lanka, etc. are all interesting as well but I currently don't know enough about them to have a strong opinion.

The ideal location would allow for beautiful ocean waters close by with other activities nearby. While we’ve enjoyed some nice resorts, we typically like to have options for dinner nearby as opposed to taking all our meals in the same place.
    Bonus points for a location that allows for comfortably enjoying the sounds of nature in the evening.

I’d like to not spend more than $300 a night for lodging, closer to $200 being preferred - which unfortunately means Aman hotels are out I suppose :)

Given the above, if you have any suggestions or insights, I'd appreciate it.

anileze, jwsky and Sweet Willie like this.
  2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    We did the Greek islands the second week of June and it was quite windy and sort of chilly at the time. So I'd vote against Greece, at least the islands during that time.

3. konoyaro

konoyaro Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the feedback on this.

4. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, too early in the year to be "safe" anywhere in Europe (although, of course, you could get lucky and have great weather).

iolaire likes this.
  5. dstober

dstober Gold Member

Status Points:
    What about something in Central or South America? Costa Rica?

6. konoyaro

konoyaro Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not opposed to Central or South America. My understanding was that Costa Rica would be having a rainy season at that time. I was also kind of interested in Fernando de Noronha but I'd read the same - rainy season.
    Where would you suggest in Central/South America for that time frame?

dstober likes this.
  7. colt245

colt245 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am visiting Thailand last week in May first week in June, out of curiosity why don't you think it is a good time to go? As we are doing Bangkok-Phuket-Koh Phi Phi- Bangkok|!

8. konoyaro

konoyaro Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nothing wrong per se. It's beginning of monsoon season in that area so the chance for an occasional shower is real. Also, some of the more remote areas like Koh Lanta will be pretty quiet and may not have as much going on since some shops and services close during low season / monsoon season. That said, we did stay at the Layana Resort during the first week of June a few years back and still managed to have fun :)

9. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    (bolding mine) Mrs Willie & I are of the same ilk here, we really dislike being tied to resorts for dining options as in our experience there is better food at a far better price than the resort(s), therefore this should rule out Malé from your consideration.

10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was in BKK in January and it was a great trip, but soon after I left, the volatile political situation there flared up. While Thailand is always a great place to visit when all is calm, I would suggest you keep close tabs on the political situation there, lest you find yourselves in the middle of some kind of uprising...

11. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is Australia or New Zealand out of the picture? I feel like both could fit the criteria.

12. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was in Turkey once in May and early June. Very nice! There is lots to do and see there and it is not the peak season. Their money is down to the dollar right now, too.

13. konoyaro

konoyaro Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd consider Australia or New Zealand. I've only been to Australia once - to Melbourne and I enjoyed it. Costs seemed on par with California. United has service to Oz but upgrades are seemingly hard to come by.
    Which beaches / areas would you suggest?

14. konoyaro

konoyaro Silver Member

Status Points:
    Turkey is an interesting proposition. When I think Turkey, Istanbul is the first thing on my mind and I'm not knowledgeable of world class beaches there. What would you suggest?

15. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sydney is amazing. They have a multitude of great beaches to choose from, as well as a good harbor cruise and dinner cruise.

16. colt245

colt245 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is true, as I was aware it was the beginning of the Monsoon season it was really the only time we could go, so hopefully we won't see that much rain, maybe an hour or two every now and then in the afternoon, and hopefully as we are there for a week in May we will still get some sunshine, I have been before July-August and had mostly sunshine with a few hours here and there with rain, still an enjoyable holiday and rain did not affect us at all!

17. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of the ones listed, only Bali has the least precipitation in May/June/July as well as number of rainy days. Singapore has about 20 days on an average of rainy days in May. Then there is Phu Quoc Isl. Vietnam (you'd need a visa, and its not easily accessible) There some great beaches in Philippines, but the culinary diversity is going to be a challenge.

Sydney would be the ideal for that hemisphere in terms of both beaches and culinary diversity. Closer home, there is Vancouver, CA with good beaches and culinary diversity. Since it is for a week, (Seven memorable meals) you could get that in Waikiki, Hawaii. Then there is Lima, Peru, great food and beach too.

18. dstober

dstober Gold Member

Status Points:
    It could be hit or miss from my understanding for rainy season. Buenos Aires would be a good potential (hop the ferry over to Uruguay for beach time), and I understand Lima could be pretty good too at that time, as anileze notes.
    If you're considering Oz, I've spent a good bit of time there. Sydney is a world class city with lots to do, great beaches (Bondi for the scene, Manly is good, but my favorite to stay near is Coogee). If you would like a wine country / coastal experience, Adelaide is awesome to base out of. Brisbane is pretty easy to fly into and the Gold Coast is just up the road. And if you wanted to see the Reef, fly into Cairns but go up the road to Port Douglas for accommodations (all the tour operators go from Cairns to Port Douglas before heading out, and Port Douglas is a much more interesting town IMHO). Port Douglas area could also score the bonus points for sounds of nature in the evening, depending on where you stay. And then there's the islands off the coast like the Whitsundays!

19. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
  20. dannyjacob

dannyjacob Member

Status Points:
    I think Vietnam could be an ideal spot with various pristine beaches, including Phu Quoc Island (as Anileze mentioned), Con Dao Island, Nha Trang Beach, Hoi An Beach,...