May I do this with CR1?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by jjj0002, Jul 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jjj0002

jjj0002 Active Member

Status Points:
    I have a trip like this in the near future: SFO-ORD-XXX-ORD-SFO, and I am using two CR1's for upgrad. the first three flights are cleared, and the last one is waitinglisted.
    I want to get DEQM, so I plan to change my UA number to CO before boarding the first flight in SFO. I heard that if I do that, the whole itinerary will be changed to CO, not just the first one.
    Now suppose the last flight is still not cleared by then, can I change it back to CO in ORD, and still use that CR1 for the upgrade?

2. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's a tricky question. First, let's start with the basics--yes, if you change your FFN it will impact the entire itinerary, there is no such thing as a FFN per flight.

Technically, United's system supports (or used to support, since rumor has it that the feature has been phased out) two FFN fields, one for status and benefits, and the other for mileage accrual. Unfortunately, this isn't exposed anywhere on the web or other customer-centric products, and few agents know/used to know how to update the second field separately.

Concretely, the workaround is exactly what you have in mind--just change your FFN at checkin. You can do so with a kiosk--no need to open a can of worms by talking to an agent. At this point, the CR1s will already be pulled and I expect that you will remain on the upgrade waitlist no matter whether or not your FFN has changed. The only question is how status is coded--will the system remember that you are a 1K and prioritize you accordingly, or will you be at the bottom of the list as a non-status passenger? That is what I do not know--I am not sure how status is represented on the waitlist and if it's tied to your FFN.

I say--do it and report back :) My gut tells me you'll be okay but I'd be curious to hear other opinions.

3. jswong
    Original Member

jswong Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've many times had different FF numbers attached to different flights in the same itinerary

Jeff

Counsellor and tjtenor4 like this.
  4. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only way I've ever been able to do that is to make changes enroute.

5. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not exactly. I've had code-share feeder flights (e.g., FRA - STR or vice versa) on LH with the TATL flight (and the ticket) being on United, and there was no problem having the flights on LH metal credited to Miles & More and the ones on United credited to Mileage Plus at check-in. That may be unique to LH/UA though.